“Convenient for park and fly”

Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Convenient for park and fly”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Shuttle service was timely (and woke us up with some early morning Queen on the way to our flight!) and the pool was a nice place to unwind and play with the kids the night before a morning flight. Parking area was well lit and seemed safe as we paid to leave our car for more than one week.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the convenience of our park and fly hotel feature and we were able to provide you with a comfortable and accommodating stay prior to heading out on your trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here in October 2012 and though the lobby was being updated, I was very pleased with this hotel. The rooms were better than most with comfortable beds, nice bathrooms and more space than usual for a Standard room. The breakfast area was equipped with a nice self-serve buffet which again was better than most. Others have found the front desk staff disappointing, which I thought was curious, since I found them outstanding. The area around the hotel had everything one could want from the many restaurant choices, shopping, Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, and you name it. Not far from a nearby interstate highway and about 15 minutes away from the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here the night before an early 6:00 AM domestic flight at MSP. The hotel was fine, the room is perfectly nice, and the staff were not bad (nothing special, certainly, but no real complaint). The biggest issue I had was the frequency of the hotel's airport shuttle. For me at least, the whole reason for staying at an airport hotel is the ability to be very close to the airport for early morning flights, and the opportunity to get a little extra shut-eye before having to leave at the airport. Unfortunately, the shuttle at this hotel only leaves ONCE EVERY HOUR. I don't think I had ever stayed at an airport hotel with shuttle service less frequently than every 30 minutes. As a result, I had to wake up at 3:30 AM to catch a 4:00 shuttle for my 6:00 AM flight. Arriving at the airport at 4:08, I had almost 2 hours to kill before my flight. If I know I was going to have to get up that early, I would have stayed another night at my downtown hotel. I know, I know -- first world problems. Still, if the whole purpose of the hotel airport stay is undermined, the choice of venue becomes questionable. In fairness, the 4 AM shuttle driver (who actually was driving a Comfort Inn van) was extremely nice and personable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WorldTraveler4500
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 April 2014

After a long day of traveling, I checked into the Four Points looking forward to some rest before my upcoming medical tests at Mayo. As an SPG Gold Member, I booked the room using our SPG points. When I arrived at the front desk, the two staff members acted as if I was 'interrupting' them to check in. I then proceeded to give them my name only to have one of the staff members to tell me that it would 'be impossible' for me to check in since the reservation was made under my husband's name and not mine. I was then told my husband 'would have to be with me' in order to give me the room. After explaining to the staff that my husband was several time zones away taking care of our children, they 'offered' for ME to call him so they could verify the reservation. When I attempted to show them my SPG card and driver's license, I was told that 'wasn't good enough' to authenticate the reservation. I was speechless. After they talked to my husband via phone, the staff member mumbled something about 'do I want a free drink or points?'. I politely asked the staff member to clarify the offer and in a rude manner the staff member stated 'look do you want a drink or points'? At this point, I almost started to cry.

I will NEVER ever stay here again and hope that no one else has to deal with the poor customer service I received.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Please accept our most sincere apology for the experience you encountered during check in as this is entirely unacceptable and this instance has been handled by our management team. This type of behavior is completely uncalled for and out of character for our associates who are trained to uphold the utmost respect and quality customer service for all our guests. We hope you will give us another opportunity to make this up to you in the future and provide you with nothing but exceptional service from the start. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope to see you in the near future to correct this experience.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Our family recently met up with our friends and their kids at this hotel for a long weekend. The location is excellent for accessibility to the Mall of America and IKEA. I would have rated it excellent as a business traveller but I have to lower my rating to average as a family traveller. This is due primarily to the incredibly small rooms. The staff and finish of the hotel are all very good but the rooms are just the smallest I have ever seen and I travel a lot for business. I also give high marks to the breakfast but we were given coupons to cover the costs. If I had to pay full cost I am not sure we would have eaten here every day.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dallas
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had a very short overnight stay before a trip to the Carribean. We were transiting in Minneapolis and picked this hotel for its location. Nice rooms, good staff.

They had a shuttle service to/from the airport which was a deciding factor since we literally had to leave at 4AM. For some reason the shuttle wasn't there in the morning but they had cabs called and waiting for the folks who were supposed to be waiting for the shuttle - which was a nice touch

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TRAAVELER
Omaha
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I've gone to my share of Four Points properties in the past few years and thought many were looking old and tired. I've even seen a few properties give up their Four Points franchise and become another brand - I suspect because maybe the franchise demanded upgrades to a standard brand appearance and some didn't want to pay.

This property has been nicely remodeled. From the outside, although repainted, you can tell the structure is not a huge property and on the older side. I had even read a review that someone complained that the rooms are small -- which they in fact are -- but the refinements and the upgrades done to the hotel make up for that in my opinion. The front desk staff were friendly, there were multiple big screen monitors in the lobby displaying important weather info, even a dedicated airport departure and gate display. I also liked that they had a media room with a huge (probably 70") flat screen with the news running, some comfortable seating near by and some computer workstations if that's what you needed. It was removed from the lobby, which was nice that you didn't have to endure endless foot traffic if you were trying to relax a little.

The hotel restaurant was on par with what you'd expect at a hotel restaurant. Moderately priced if not a little on the expensive side, but that's no surprise. Breakfast was good with a buffet and a short order cook who not only made omelettes but also offered to make my son pancakes when he told me he wanted some but none were available at the time (french toast was featured that morning). There was a lone server handling the whole restaurant (not a huge place) who was kept pretty busy handling the patrons, but she kept up and had coffee poured and water out before I sat back down from the buffet. Best thing here -- if you are an SPG member, buffet is 1/2 off. Can't beat that -- worked out to $7.50 I believe.

Rooms were on the small side but fulyl renovated with flat screen, new furniture and nice beds. Bathroom was about the smallest I've been in for an upper end hotel chain but it didn't give me any negative feelings about it when I used it. This property did their best with the size of the existing structure. Just prior to this stay I spent a night in another hotel chain who had a similar situation. They, however, had swapped out some of the furniture and threw up some new wall paint. It was obvious at this other hotel chain they had gone with the 'lipstick on a pig' approach. This Four Points property on the other hand has obviously made a significant effort from top to bottom. I was pleased. Been to too many hotel chains lately that want to charge and arm and a leg for their rooms only to put you in old, tired rooms with HVAC equipment that is on its last leg. Not so here.

I would recommend this property to all who are in the area for business or families looking to visit the Mall of America. They provide a shuttle service which as of this visit was running 10a-10p on the even hours (10-12p-2p-4p, etc) and the MOA is only a short 2-3 miles away or so. I did take cab back at one point and it cost me about $15.

One note about the indoor pool on property. If it is heated, it is kept at about 78 degrees. My kids didn't last very long before they decided to sneak into the hot tub as they were freezing. The hot tub is not normally for kids, but I stuck my fingers in and it was about as hot as a warm bath, so I let them go in for a bit. FWIW.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield
Radisson Blu Mall of America
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport? Share your experiences!