“Decent room - thieving housekeeper!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield

Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Richfield
Detroit Lakes, MN
“Decent room - thieving housekeeper!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Our room was very nice, comfy bed, clean kitchenette. I was taken aback by the "spin the wheel" option for priority club members to "win" which type of prize or perk they get.
The day of check-out however was a completely different story! We were woken up at 7:30 in the morning by the housekeepers! I'm sorry, but that should NEVER happen. I don't care if my "do not disturb" sign isn't on the door. That's too early on a Sunday morning!
On Sunday evening when we got home and I unpacked, I realized I forgot my earrings in bathroom. So I called the hotel, and talked to a crabby lady who said there was nothing turned in. To which I replied, "Bull! I know they were left there." So she had the housekeeping director look in the room again. But she didn't find anything either. The only explanation is that the housekeeper stole my earrings or threw them away. Thanks a lot Candlewood, my favorite earrings are gone! And you have crooked housekeepers! We'll never be back, and I'll make sure everyone I know, knows about this.

Room Tip: There is no pool at this hotel. There is also no restaurant. Just something they call the Candlewood...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Landa J,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, MN . I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I purchased the room from hotwire during their "blind special" option for $49 per night and was unhappy when it said that it was a 2 star hotel, however when we arrived I was still somewhat skeptical but when we got our room I was totally satisfied that we made the right choice. The room was spacious, modern, clean,clean, oh yeah and did I say clean, and the bed was super comfortable! Flat screen t.v., recliner leather chair are just a few. Modern appliances in the Kitchen was a huge plus. I would stay here again even at the regular price...location is everything and this is located close to the shopping areas. Front desk service provided good customer service. They had me at hello!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CAfterHis
Candlewood M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We would always do everything to merit the confidence you have shown in us.
Road Warrior
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Spent a couple weeks here on a business trip, I have stayed in many, many Candlewoods all across the country and I'd say this one probably ranks in the middle of all of those stays, I've had better and I've had worse.

This is an older "L" shaped Candlewood, one of the oldest building layouts but appears to have had a somewhat recent room remodel using the design created by the Savannah College of Art & Design, one of the nation’s top interior design schools. You can obviously tell this is an older property, there are some areas of the hotel that are worn but the rooms themselves are updated at least.

Location is good, easy access to I-494 & I-35W, Mall of America, etc. If you are going to be utilizing the hotel room kitchen there is a new Whole Foods just a few miles away.

The rooms in these older Candlewoods are smaller but the new design is functional and doesn't feel too claustrophobic. Cleanliness was excellent and all the the housekeepers were very friendly. The lady with the long braid in her hair, I didn't catch her name but she might be the head housekeeper, she has a very good understanding of the hotel and how it operates, much better the the front desk staff so you can ask her questions if you have any during your stay.

I got the impression that this hotel is very busy and high traffic, there were nights that were quiet and others where guests were loud and obnoxious. The hotel laundry room was always busy as well and people tend to leave their stuff sitting in the machines for hours after they are done, so if your going to do laundry here better get up early in the AM and commandeer a couple machines ASAP. The hotel should put some signs up that say to be courteous and monitor your laundry, unfortunately idiots forget about it and their stuff is in the machines all day and night.

Parking lot is good sized and can fit an RV or UHaul but there were a lot of trailers parked on the lot that took up tons of spaces as well so if the hotel is sold out you might have trouble finding parking in you arrive late. If your only driving a car you should have no problem even if it is sold out but if you have a trailer try and get their early.

Internet was decent, there were times it was fast but when the hotel was at near full capacity it could really bog down. I did hear one of the employees say that they were going to double the bandwidth soon though so that should help.

One final thing, the hotel has some rancid, nasty smells sometimes that drift in the rooms so......BRING AIR FRESHENERS... ...you'll thank me later :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Candlewood M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, which helps us to create great hotels guest love. Our goal is to always aim higher at providing excellent service to our guest. Our newly renovated rooms, has allowed our guest the comfort they have come to know and a continued way to improve our services. Thank you
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel itself is nice enough. Clean and updated rooms. No continental breakfast but they have a Pantry that you can purchase items from. Our HUGE complaint is the noise. We arrived late Friday night after a long drive and were hoping for a good night's sleep before a big day in Minneapolis and unfortunately that didn't happen. This hotel allows pets and we had the unfortunate "luck" of having a room under what sounded like a Saint Bernard walking and jumping on the floor well past 11:00pm and started again before 7:00am.

We didn't complain as it was late, we were aleady in bed and we just needed some sleep. Recommendation to the hotel, be courtious of all your guests and keep pets on the first floor. We got a good deal on Priceline but even with that, wouldn't stay here again unless we had a room on the top floor.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are glad you found our hotel to be nice and clean. However, we are truly sorry you were not able to get some rest during your stay. While we do pride our selves as being a pet friendly hotel, we certainly want to make sure all our guest, are comfortable during their stay. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we can be of any service. Our staff will always do everything possible to make you comfortable. Thanks
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed here during a recent business trip. Being a 2 star, I wasn't expecting much. Clean rooms, nice bed and warm and welcoming front lobby/desk.

Disappointment starts from the front desk - it is more like a cashier window at the impound lot. Unclean, SLOW service. Lobby to hallway to the door of my room stunk really bad! Room gives you a definitely good first impression. Kitchen, with some basic pots and pans, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, coffee maker etc. Big work desk, Television and bed near the sleeping area. Being an extended stay, if you have a couple people living, there is no place to sit! One sofa chair, a revolving workstation chair and that is it. Also not very well lit - seems a little dark and dingy for a place that you might call house for a long time. Mattresses are okay, a little below average.

Ample free parking is available. Gym is nice and all equipment is functional. I believe pets are allowed as well since I heard a dog barking in the room next door. WiFi internet is awesome. There is a VCR/DVD player and front desk has some movies to borrow. Laundry facility available free of cost (for machines), a nominal charge for supplies.

Close proximity to I494, 3 miles from Mall of America, eating places in close proximity - walking distance. Never stayed in a 2 star before, so I guess it is okay for 2 star - I would personally pay $20-$25 more and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: ask to see the room before you settle in. If you are living for a while, you want to be able to love...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Abisola O, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
We sincerely apologize for the slow service you received and we are sorry you had a bad first impression. We take great pride in keeping our hotel rooms and lobby area clean. Our goal is to always deliver excellent service. We truly appreciate your feedback, which allows us to always improve on our service .We hope you would you would come back and visit us soon because we would do everything to merit your confidence in us. Thank You
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed here for 3 months, Nov-Jan and it was home ! All the rooms are Extended stay new neat and clean rooms with full kitchen and all other amenities. Very safe hotel, plenty of space in the room. Hotel staff is so helpful, friendly and humble. They always help you !! there is a gym and a pantry downstairs.

Some cons: Free Wifi is there, but its really terrible, atleast when I stayed, and it affects your work a lot with continuous breaking of the connection. They told me it will take some time to get it fxed, may be its done by now, fyi, they also offered me another room, thts nice !

the place is near chipotle, starbucks, don pablos' and soo many stores, u dont hv to worry abt food, groceries, etc. and bus nearby goes direct to Mall of America, or walk down to catch a bus to downtown.. So its a prime location, lot of parking space, once a week room service, TV, free movie rental, free laundry ! I would definitely recommend people to stay here who are looking for a place with all amenities and they they cant rent a place, etc.

Room Tip: If you dont wanna spend too much time walking, choose a room in the middle of the hotel as it is too...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
Kathy H, Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for completing a review and giving us valuable feedback. We a pleased to hear that our hotel was convenient and comfortable for you. Guests like you are a pleasure and we are delighted you stayed with us. We look forward to your nest visit.
Dayton OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

This location was very nice to us about having pets, and they even have a nice, designated 'pet lawn area" at the property. we were travelling just overnight, and appreciated the ease of in/out, the cost, and the location they gave us. this is the same chain as Staybridge and holiday inn, which i really like. it's the 'low end" of that, so you don't get breakfast or anything included. however we didn't need that, and stopped at the taqueria down the street for breakfast tacos ! YUM! the only complaint is thye have those heaters under the window that you have to turn on/off all the time, which makes for an uncomfortable night...it's either too hot,or too cold , so you get up and fix it all the time.

Room Tip: One sid eof the hotel is very close to the interstate, so that may bother you, but it really wasn...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Abisola O, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
I am glad you enjoyed staying here with your pet. We truly appreciate the feedback. Our goal is to continue to do better and always improve on every stay with us. You had a choice and you chose us and for that we are grateful. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richfield
Four Points by Sheraton Mall of America Minneapolis Airport
La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Bloomington East - Airport
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#36 of 43 in Bloomington

Been to Candlewood Suites Minneapolis - Richfield? Share your experiences!