“Nice dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Cafe - CLOSED

City Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
kansas
“Nice dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I ordered the special catch sandwich of the day. It was walleye, and I was very excited to try it. I'm normally a big salmon fan. My dinner came and my fish was on a plate alone. When I asked if this was the sandwich, she asked me "do you want some bread?" Uhhhh, not really. The bartender made up for it by buying me a drink. That was very nice. So I bought one, and he bought one. My walleye was outstanding, cooked perfectly, and very tasty. I can't say whether or not I would return, so many places that I have never been.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank midwestguy28

Mankato, Minnesota
“Overall a very good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My family and I have eaten at this restaurant two or three times in the last year or two. The last time was two days ago for dinner. My daughters had cheese quesadillas and macaroni and cheese. The quesadillas were good, the macaroni were not. The fries their dishes went with were very good. My wife had filet mignon, and it was partly burned, but still tasted good, though a little too spicy. I had seafood stew, and it was fantastic! It reminded me of a lobster bisque I had many years ago in the Baleares islands, in Spain. It had muscles, clams, shrimp, and fish in a delicious tomato-based broth. This restaurant does not have a big menu, but they always have unusual dishes, so, if you like to try new and different kinds of dishes, you will love this restaurant. The last time we had gone, I had tasted their fish tacos (which they are famous for), and they were great too. The meal comes with some French baguette-like bread and a garlic pesto oil which was delicious! The service was all right, the atmosphere is nice and cozy, but a little too loud for conversation. The restaurant has a cute outside porch with tables where you can eat too. However, we ate inside in a booth. The price is fair for the quality of their food. I strongly recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes good and unique food without spending a lot of money.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Enrique T
Rake, Iowa
“Cozy and fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

This was a very convenient place to walk to from our appts. at Mayo Clinic. The outside atmosphere was fun and the food was excellent. I recommend the Asian Chicken Salad plate....Yummy! Staff were very friendly and I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Emporia, Kansas
“A good value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Is a small, but very comfortable facility. Has a nice outdoor seating area and very convenient to Mayo Clinic And downtown hotels. Not a big menu, but you will undoubtedly find something to like. Good wait staff and very reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
crystal
“City Cafe is a star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

It is always a treat to eat at the City Cafe we we travel to the Mayo Clinic. The menu isn't huge, but everything we've ordered the last several years has been great. It's a bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny in my opinion. The wait staff is pleasant and accommodating ...more bread please ... if is scrumptious with butter or Olive Oil

Visited June 2013