“Favorite Restaurant in Rochester!”
Review of City Cafe - CLOSED

City Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Had this restaurant recommended by a business associate a couple years ago when staying in town for the first time. I have to visit every time I am there now. The staff is always attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. The atmosphere is a little laid-back, which I love. And the food is always amazing! I usually end up with one of their fresh seafood items, and they have never disappointed. You can't go wrong with this place!

1  Thank Chris H

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have wanted to try this place for awhile now, so I took my son for a special back to school dinner. It totally fulfilled all of my expectations and then some. We had one of the evening's special appetizers, grilled watermelon with panko fried goat cheese drizzled with mint honey. It was SO delicious. I had the Grilled Fresh Scallops with Apple Cider Beurre Blanc for my entrée and my son had the Maple Roasted Chicken Breast for his. Both were phenomenal. Desert was Crème Brulee. The service was great, fast and friendly. The prices were more than reasonable for the quality and presentation of our food, not to mention the prompt service.

1  Thank Lori C
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have been here a few times, and it is never a disappointment. The food here is great, especially for having such fresh seafood in Rochester, MN. The prices are a little on the high side, but this is one of those places where you get what you pay for. The dining room is a little noisy, and can make it difficult to hear, but I have been to louder places. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone who wants good food with good atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I ordered the special catch sandwich of the day. It was walleye, and I was very excited to try it. I'm normally a big salmon fan. My dinner came and my fish was on a plate alone. When I asked if this was the sandwich, she asked me "do you want some bread?" Uhhhh, not really. The bartender made up for it by buying me a drink. That was very nice. So I bought one, and he bought one. My walleye was outstanding, cooked perfectly, and very tasty. I can't say whether or not I would return, so many places that I have never been.

1  Thank midwestguy28
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My family and I have eaten at this restaurant two or three times in the last year or two. The last time was two days ago for dinner. My daughters had cheese quesadillas and macaroni and cheese. The quesadillas were good, the macaroni were not. The fries their dishes went with were very good. My wife had filet mignon, and it was partly burned, but still tasted good, though a little too spicy. I had seafood stew, and it was fantastic! It reminded me of a lobster bisque I had many years ago in the Baleares islands, in Spain. It had muscles, clams, shrimp, and fish in a delicious tomato-based broth. This restaurant does not have a big menu, but they always have unusual dishes, so, if you like to try new and different kinds of dishes, you will love this restaurant. The last time we had gone, I had tasted their fish tacos (which they are famous for), and they were great too. The meal comes with some French baguette-like bread and a garlic pesto oil which was delicious! The service was all right, the atmosphere is nice and cozy, but a little too loud for conversation. The restaurant has a cute outside porch with tables where you can eat too. However, we ate inside in a booth. The price is fair for the quality of their food. I strongly recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes good and unique food without spending a lot of money.

1  Thank Enrique T