“Couldn't Ask for More”

Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Underwood IA
“Couldn't Ask for More”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

This is a top-notch, new hotel. Bed, pillows and linens were luxurious. Everything was extremely clean. As has been our experience overseas, this hotel manages electricity waste by requiring you insert your room key in a slot to control the heat/AC; great idea. The room was very comfortable; the bed is too close to the heat register as one review indicated, but it didn't affect our stay. They offered a complete, complimentary breakfast and their staff was very friendly and helpful. We weren't familiar with Rochester so we weren't sure if this location was convenient but Rochester isn't very big so this hotel would seem convenient with whatever plans you have. Additionally, many of the hotels downtown and by the Mayo Clinic require you to pay extra for parking but parking at this hotel is free. We belong to the Choice Hotels program and could get an additional discount being senior citizens and SAMs club members. We had read reviews about a lot of kids' ball teams staying here and there were but when we checked in we asked if we could be placed away from those guests and we were and didn't have any issues. If our travels bring us to Rochester again, we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keilyn05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

This hotel has super comfortable bed. Pillow top mattress gave me the best sleep. Loved it & recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Eggo507
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

This was my first stay here. It is a very attractive new hotel located in a nice quiet area of town. I had to stay a while for business and the rooms were very comfortable. There were plush pillow top mattresses and plenty of pillows in the suites, along with a couch in the sitting area. The fridge and microwave were very convenient since I had to stay a few nights. It was a relaxed stay and the kind staff members were a plus. They also had fresh cookies in the evening and one of my nights I got to enjoy a special free meal that was hosted by the manager. I didn’t even have to checkout, since I am a Choice Privileges member they slipped the receipt under my door so I could simply leave at my convenience. It was definitely a great property, and I have stayed at many hotels. They actually set configured a set rate plan for my company, so that’s where I will be staying from now on.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BusyBusyChicago
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2009

Our 1st trip to Rochester and the people at our hotel couldn't have been nicer...brand new hotel....still smelled new..
A nice surprise with soup, salad, and rolls after a long day at Mayo...as well as hot items such as eggs, meats, etc. for breakfast.
The shuttle picked us up each day and brought us back.
Should I ever have the need to come to Rochester again, I will not hesitate to book here.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank peacebw
Southern MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

I reserved a room for 3 nights while my husband had surgery at St. Mary's Hospital. I left my room at 5:45 AM only to return at 8:30 PM horrified to find my hotel door open! The room had not been cleaned and the lights were on. I checked evry closet, under the bed, and the shower stall, and the only thing I could find were new towels. Thankful that I had brought my laptop, purse and jewerly with me to the hospital, I called down to the front desk to report what I had found. They couldn't have cared less. I was told "It was only an OPEN DOOR". I slept with the lights on and was OH SO THANKFUL TO CHECKOUT of that place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mntraveler4420
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

What a great hotel. It's a little off the beaten path, but in an area that looks like it's growing. It's right next to a pond with a paved path all the way around. The room was huge, the breakfast was great (even hot scrambled eggs and sausage) and the service was wonderful. I would hightly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank msklumpen
Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Was very impressed when driving up to the hotel. Pictures reflect the beautiful rooms and interior prior to arriving also. However, once inside the doors it was chaos. There were several youth basketball teams there. I understand traveling teams needing a place to stay, but I do not understand chaperones, and parents who stand by and do nothing. We had to wait for about 10 minutes to check in and there was only one other person in front of us. While waiting, there were about 40 adults and children/youth in the lobby hanging out. The lobby is not very large. The TV was very loud and there were children running back and forth around us the whole time we were waiting. They were slamming the stair doors adjacent to the check in and were playing games and chasing throughout the hotel. While I do not expect the front desk to babysit, especially when the adults are right there, I do expect them to keep this a safe and welcoming place for all visitors. I am very thankful that there were no elderly patrons trying to check in or in the lobby...as they would have been easily knocked over by the wild youth running rampant. The lobby and pool area remained that way for hours, only to have the adults and coaches take over the lobby drinking beer and being just as loud while the youth teams run up and down the halls well after midnight. From arriving at 5pm until 9pm, the teams trashed the lobby, pool and hallways with cans just thrown, water bottles, pizza boxes and towells thrown. After midnight, the garbage cans in the lobby were bursting with beer cans from the adults and role model coaches. It is a shame for a new facility. All of this took place just feet from the front desk, of which our room was just a few doors down to enjoy all the comotion as well.

I made calls to the front desk requesting the youth jumping and running in the room above us and the hallway outside our door to stop. The front desk would only reply to me "we can't really do anything about it because the whole second floor are basketball teams and all of the adults are here in the lobby." I told him he could tell them. For me it was disturbing the peace by now. I really would have rather called the police by now but did not. It was ridiculus. Our children did not fare well for the night. I was very disappointed with the front desk not even attempting to do anything.

While it was new, clean and beautiful, we will not stay there again unless the staff are better trained on crowd control and keeping a respect for the facility by keeping order with its guests. A huge shame.

A note to parents with children with Autism. The walls are paper thin, and when busy, this hotel is a sensory overload for them.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family