“My story”

5th Avenue Inn & Suites
5th Avenue Inn & Suites
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We flew in from Texas Jan 21st only planning on staying for one week at the most. We went home April 19th.
Never imagined we would have to stay that long
My husband spent all but one week at St Mary’s hospital.
I needed to find a cheaper place to stay than the Kahler Inn and Suites. So I called around to other hotels in the area. What I needed was a place that would be safe and clean and would give me a discount by the month.
I called the 5th Ave Inn and Suites and they said come on over check out the room and see if you want to stay before you check out of the other hotel.
I felt like I walked into my best friends home to stay for a visit. The people are great they care about you. Sure the hotel has problems but so did the other one for a lot more money.
The shuttle would drop me off at the front door of the hotel and I always know I would find a cup of coffee and a friend to ask how my husband was doing.
We are coming back to Rochester for my husbands second surgery and I’m going back to my room at the 5th Ave Inn and Suites to visit my friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank carol s

Reviewed 18 August 2013

we stayed two nights, the rooms were ok, no shampoo, the center of the building is open with railings that didn't look too safe too me, and the pool was empty...we were on the fourth floor and any noise anywhere tended to echo up through the empty center of the building making sleep very intermintent. Breakfast was poor, toaster food, toast or sad waffle squares. A little fruit the first day, none the second. Rolls the first day, none the next. . Elevator was small, but quick and quiet. No greeting from the second desk clerk, first one was ok. Now that I"m home, I might be able to sleep.....We stayed a Thurs night and Friday Night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013

As always, I try to save a few dollars, but regretted this decision enough that we changed hotels after the first night. We were at Mayo for three nights one week, staying at the Best Western and three nights the next week with going home on the weekend. We only stayed at 5th Avenue the first night during the second week and moved back to the Best Western. It was worth the extra $40.00/night.
5th Avenue Inn is an older model hotel with each room having a very large plate glass window overlooking the indoor hallway. The room was clean, but old. The one thing we really did not like were the beds. Their were no fitted bottom sheets just the tuck-in kind that comes out very easily. The bottom sheet was not fitted all the way to the bottom, so your feet were all over the bare mattress. The shower pressure was so-so. The room was not dark at night because of hallway and outside light.
The pool was emptied and the breakfast was just bread, donuts, dry cereal and fruit. I guess we each have our own opinion of what is acceptable, and for us, we went elsewhere. Yes it is very close to Mayo, but so are many other hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This place is clean with big rooms. It very convenient to Mayo, short walk. The staff has been friendly, fun and easy to work with. One thing I didn't like was how loud the bathroom fan is. One thing I found interesting is that the bathroom has two doors, one by the dinning area and one by beds/kitchen area. I did like having a refrigerator and microwave, the refrigerator kept my stuff as cold as I wanted it.
If you are looking for a place to stay close to Mayo this is a good place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lightk2
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Tim and I love to stay at 5th Ave. Inn & Suites...so convenient for us to walk to clinic, staff has been wonderful and very helpful. When I have to stay here when Tim is in the hospital at Methodist, I feel so safe here and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff has been so helpful and friendly and we have gotten to know a few of them....so nice....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I fell in love with 5th Avenue Inn & Suites from the beginning! I stay here one to three times a month and will always come here in the future. The desk staff is excellent! They know me by name and greet me with a smile. They always ask how I'm doing and are there at your service when you need anything. Yes it is a small place with little amenities but to me I don't feel I'm just another face in the crowd and here's your room key. The key here is a great price, customer service, clean rooms, and laughter. The rooms are spacious and clean! There is an assortment of items for continental breakfast and Wifi. I have never had problems with reserving or having to rush around my busy schedule at the Mayo Clinic. I come here because I'm sick so the comfort here makes me feel right at home. I would recommend this hotel any day of the week. They are in the process of room improvements but to me thats not always the key to a top hotel. I will always consider this hotel a great place to stay. Cindy Sperr

Room Tip: 2nd floor is comfortable and quiet with a central lounge and reading area
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We were there for a week. It was very convenient to Mayo and it was clean. However there were problems. The internet wifi was intermittent at best. Mostly it was a pain. There was construction almost every day of the week and one day they started work at 6:30 am, other days they waited unitl 7 am to start making noise. So there was a fair amount of noise early. There was a gap under the door, so sound came into the room fairly easily.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family