“Good Location and Friendly Staff”

5th Avenue Inn & Suites
5th Avenue Inn & Suites
Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good Location and Friendly Staff”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

For the money, this was a good place to stay. I needed to be within walking distance of Mayo's downtown campus, and this fit the bill. Despite the winter weather, I only had to walk outside a short block before I entered the Subway (the underground walkway that connects to the Mayo buildings, shops, and restaurants.)

The price was good, especially compared to the hotels attached via the Subway. However, you must adjust your expectations. This is an old property, and frankly the rooms can use some updating. The lobby is having a partial renovation, which is a good thing. I hope they continue and repaint it, the elevator, and the other common areas.

My room was clean, and passed my barefoot walking test. The kitchenette had a microwave and fridge with freezer, a full size sink and cabinets. That was great as I could store all the non-perishable items away. To me, that helps make it feel more comfortable.

The room was large, and I had a desk and table. There was a loveseat but it was awkwardly placed, so I didn't use it. I had a corner room, which was very quiet, but the window was small and the layout a bit longer and narrower than other rooms. The small window made it darker than I prefer, and the lighting was barely adequate for me.

Furnishings were OK, but the bathroom seriously needed updating.

My biggest complaint was housekeeping was pretty spotty. I always had clean towels, and the bed was made, but the sink wasn't always cleaned, I ran out of tissues, and I never got the right coffee packets for the in-room machine. Normally I wouldn't care, but the coffee downstairs at the continental breakfast was weaker than the single brew coffeemaker.

The breakfast was OK, but it's a continental, so no eggs or protein (other than peanut butter). They did always have fresh fruit, and it was a nice assortment in great condition.

I was pretty much only in the room to eat dinner, sleep, and shower, so it was fine. If I had to spend a full day in it tending someone who was ill, that could be a problem. It all depends on your personality and preferences. Compared to other nearby places, though, the price was much, much better. If you need proximity to the hospital in particular, it's a great location as the Mayo shuttles only run on weekdays, and if you need to visit on weekends you can walk.

In the summer weather, walking should be more of an option. However, in weather with biting wind chills, 5 blocks is a long walk, let alone walking a mile.

I'd stay there again, but you need to be able to manage your expectations.This is modest pricing, not luxury, and you can't compare it to a new property. Most of the people who stay there are Mayo patients and families, and try to save where they can. This is an option.

For a stay of more than a week or two, I'd personally look at the properties that offer a kitchen with a stove and full size fridge. However, you either pay substantially more, or must ride the shuttle or taxi to the Clinic, so it's a balance of activity and accessibility.

The front desk people were wonderful--warm and welcoming, and very helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Joan Fagnani M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Shafer, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 February 2014

It's never fun being sick but I find comfort at this hotel because of the staff. They always treat me with great respect and on days its hard to find a smile they always help me to find one. I like the fact that I am not just another face in the crowd. I have been staying here on an off for just over a year and get the same excellent service and smiles as I did when I started on my journey here. While I was here his time there was a major Winter storm it was crazy busy at the hotel but even then all are needs were taken care of and with a smile. This hotel is very affordable, the rooms are very clean, and new upgrades are taking place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Cindy S
kaufman
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We flew in from Texas Jan 21st only planning on staying for one week at the most. We went home April 19th.
Never imagined we would have to stay that long
My husband spent all but one week at St Mary’s hospital.
I needed to find a cheaper place to stay than the Kahler Inn and Suites. So I called around to other hotels in the area. What I needed was a place that would be safe and clean and would give me a discount by the month.
I called the 5th Ave Inn and Suites and they said come on over check out the room and see if you want to stay before you check out of the other hotel.
I felt like I walked into my best friends home to stay for a visit. The people are great they care about you. Sure the hotel has problems but so did the other one for a lot more money.
The shuttle would drop me off at the front door of the hotel and I always know I would find a cup of coffee and a friend to ask how my husband was doing.
We are coming back to Rochester for my husbands second surgery and I’m going back to my room at the 5th Ave Inn and Suites to visit my friends.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank carol s
Belmond, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2013

we stayed two nights, the rooms were ok, no shampoo, the center of the building is open with railings that didn't look too safe too me, and the pool was empty...we were on the fourth floor and any noise anywhere tended to echo up through the empty center of the building making sleep very intermintent. Breakfast was poor, toaster food, toast or sad waffle squares. A little fruit the first day, none the second. Rolls the first day, none the next. . Elevator was small, but quick and quiet. No greeting from the second desk clerk, first one was ok. Now that I"m home, I might be able to sleep.....We stayed a Thurs night and Friday Night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2013

As always, I try to save a few dollars, but regretted this decision enough that we changed hotels after the first night. We were at Mayo for three nights one week, staying at the Best Western and three nights the next week with going home on the weekend. We only stayed at 5th Avenue the first night during the second week and moved back to the Best Western. It was worth the extra $40.00/night.
5th Avenue Inn is an older model hotel with each room having a very large plate glass window overlooking the indoor hallway. The room was clean, but old. The one thing we really did not like were the beds. Their were no fitted bottom sheets just the tuck-in kind that comes out very easily. The bottom sheet was not fitted all the way to the bottom, so your feet were all over the bare mattress. The shower pressure was so-so. The room was not dark at night because of hallway and outside light.
The pool was emptied and the breakfast was just bread, donuts, dry cereal and fruit. I guess we each have our own opinion of what is acceptable, and for us, we went elsewhere. Yes it is very close to Mayo, but so are many other hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan S
Pierre, South Dakota
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This place is clean with big rooms. It very convenient to Mayo, short walk. The staff has been friendly, fun and easy to work with. One thing I didn't like was how loud the bathroom fan is. One thing I found interesting is that the bathroom has two doors, one by the dinning area and one by beds/kitchen area. I did like having a refrigerator and microwave, the refrigerator kept my stuff as cold as I wanted it.
If you are looking for a place to stay close to Mayo this is a good place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lightk2
Milford, Iowa
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Tim and I love to stay at 5th Ave. Inn & Suites...so convenient for us to walk to clinic, staff has been wonderful and very helpful. When I have to stay here when Tim is in the hospital at Methodist, I feel so safe here and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The staff has been so helpful and friendly and we have gotten to know a few of them....so nice....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple