“Good stay on business”

Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
East Troy
“Good stay on business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

A one night stay while on a business trip. Easy to get to, however parking for a full sized pickup truck was a bit of an issue, but minor.

Hotel is well kept and clean. King bed room had plenty of size, well furnished and current. Very comfortable.

Front desk staff was friendly and efficient for check-in and check out.

Bar and restaurant were very nice, not very busy, but very attentive service, and food was very good. Never had a breakfast that hot! Came right from the pan to the table!

Due to clearnces in the parking garage, Full size and larger pickups & vans needed to park along the outside of the ramp. To exit, if you cannot clear the ceiling to go through the exit booth, you must backup, then get gate opened to exit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We needed a place to stay as we were going to be in town for a meeting. The reservation was made easily enough and the hotel was easy to find. It was clean and up to date. We decided to have dinner in and found the staff in the bar/restaurant to be friendly and accommodating. Kudos to Dennis at the bar who served us efficiently and made us feel comfortable with a marvelous sense of humor.

The problem was an unexpected parking charge. I had not understood that this was to be added to our bill.

Room Tip: If you want to rest, having a room adjacent to the pool is not a good idea!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We booked are room on-line thru a "3rd party site" and in doing so we paid in advance. The site which we booked thru said the rate we were paying included a room with 2 beds and parking - a good thing considering parking is $12/day. When we arrived, Sabrina checked us in and she was nice enough. When she asked how we would like to pay for parking, we told her it was included in our booking. She then asked Katie to come to the desk; Katie could not have been more rude. We explained that parking was included in our rate she responded with, "prove it". Before we could find our paperwork, she went on to inform us that we had booked thru a "3rd party" so we had to pay for parking, regardless, then walked away. Given the late hour and long clinic days ahead, we gave up. When we got to our room, there was only one bed. We immediately called the front desk and asked to move to a room with 2 beds. Katie was again incredibly rude in informing us that "you get what you get" when you book thru a 3rd party and she couldn't move us because we had paid less for the room.

I have booked using 3rd party sights on several occassions. At every other location where I have stayed, usiing this booking method, I have been treated like a "normal" customer. Here, however, Katie went out of her way to make it clear that if we weren't paying the full rate she would rather we weren't there.

As for the room, it was clean but small. The bed and pillows were comfortable but that didn't help me sleep given the rude reception. The bathroom was tight and difficult to manuver in.

Location is good; convenient to the clinic and hospital.

Room Tip: For a good room, consider another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear E O,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience with some of the front desk personnel. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as this issue will surely be discussed with the management. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.
Baraboo, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Pros:
all but one staff member were friendly and very helpful.
Location to mayo is wonderful. You can use the skyway and not have to battle traffic.
Clean... The whole hotel is extremely clean. This was huge for us since we are and many other people are here to see a dr at Mayo.

The Cons:
A bit pricey... Not only for the room but to park you pay an extra 12 bucks a day.
Although clean if you are looking for a perfect room you are not going to get it. The dresser was chipped so if that is going to bug you in a room you pay over 130 bucks a night for this probably is not your place.
The bathrooms are small. I did not mind but if you need room to move around ask for a handicap room for sure. You can stand in there and shut the door but you have no wiggle room.
We had to stay an extra day for more mayo testing when we went to the front desk at 6 am to check out and back in for the day the clerk was extremely unhelpful. He told my husband to pack our room and bring everything to the front desk to check back in after his testing at Mayo was complete. One more thing to worry about while here is not what we needed. I went back down about 15 minutes later and a new clerk was at the desk. We checked in and out without issue. When we brought up what happen he seems annoyed by the other employee but only told us "Sorry, he is part time." Your staff is only as good as your weakest link and unfortunately we found it.

Room Tip: From the parking garage you will have to take an elevator to the sky walk and then walk to the back...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth E
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Beth C,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our rate and customer service which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Stacy, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown from July 19 -21, 2013. The location was perfect for us, because it was 3 minutes from the Rochester Recreation Center where my daughter had a club swim meet. She was able to warm up in the pool at the hotel, before heading over to compete. The hotel is 3 minutes to the Recreation Center.

The room was clean, but small. Only 1 person could fit in the bathroom at a time, and there was no counter space with a mirror or sink outside the bathroom. Very poor design planning. I can't imagine a family of 4 trying to get ready with the layout of the bathroom.

There was only 1 floor with the ice machines too, which I thought was odd. Usually there are ice machines in the lobby or every floor.

The front desk service was slow, but they were all friendly. We were able to walk to several nice places to eat and shop. We would stay here again for the location, however, I would ask about different room types with bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear KellyandKeith,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bathroom layout and the slow service from our front desk. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Janesville, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I attempted to check in. There were 2 people ahead of me so I stood back a short distance waiting for my turn & giving the guests checking in their privacy. After they checked in I waited to be called up to the desk just as the 2 guests ahead of me did while they waited there for their turn. I made eye contact with the two employees at the desk as they filed paperwork, answered the phone & complained to each other about their job responsibilities, other customers that day & their fellow co-workers. After ten minutes I asked if someone could check me in. The female said, "Well, we would if you would come up to the counter". She then threw her hands up in air, left the front desk & retreated to the office located behind the desk. The male employee was not wearing a name tag but said his name was Ted when I asked his name. I approached the desk, gave Ted my credit card & he threw it on the counter. Ted asked me name & his tone was rude at best. When I mentioned to Ted that his tone was short & curt he said it was not. His tone when he said that was even shorter than before. After conversation with Ted I asked to talk to a supervisor or manager. Ted said there was no manager or supervisor in the building that day but would be there the next day. Ted said he could call Jen, his manager on her day off but he wouldn't do that. I finally left the hotel but not until after Ted left me standing at the front desk while he retreated to the same office the female employee went in to. Ted slammed the door but before the door closed I could see Ted throw his arms in the air. I did not feel comfortable staying at this hotel because the front desk was so hostile. Before completing this review I attempted to call the hotel to speak to a member of management. Leah said there currently is no general manager & the owner, Mike Bhatka was not in. I asked to be transferred to Mr. Bhatka’s voice mail & Leah’s reply was, “I can if it (the voice mail) is working”. Mr. Bhatka’s voice mail did not work.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Empressw
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Empressw,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

While I understand that your experience was less than satisfactory, I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Krysllin G.
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Location is great as you are right in the heart of downtown and close to Mayo Clinic (Gonda, Eisenberg, etc.). Very nice large room but small bathroom. Comfortable beds and pillows (soft, medium or firm). Can order off the menu breakfast up to $20 included with your room (booked on internet). Meal is very filling and good quality.
Business center & pool also here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple