“Great place to stay”

Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #46 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was there for surgery for my daughter with my brother and sister-in-law. Very convenient to all Mayo buildings and downtown. Rooms were comfortable and quiet unless young children not supervised well were in the pool. Parking is another story. $13 per day. Really? I already knew this beforehand. Most people do not. Please post this with your rates.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Diane F,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn - Downtown during your recent visit to Rochester. I am pleased that your stay was a comfortable one for you and your family. Thank you, as well, for the notation on the parking rates. I will re-check to ensure that our parking rates are posted on all booking engines we utilize for reservation creation.

Thank you for staying with us! We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Most Holiday Inns are 3-level motels. This is a 12-story high-rise, in the heart of downtown. Right on the skyway close to Mayo or the Convention Center and the parking garage. This seemed like a nicer place than the average HI, too, somewhat befitting the "hotel" rather than "motel" model. Food was pretty good, but service was occasionally slow. When I had to extend my stay, they were gracious and accommodating, and even found a room for my colleagues. No complaints, no standout performances.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank snochasr
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn - Downtown.

Our hotel is unique, as we have many privately owned condos that rest atop our convienently located hotel in downtown Rochester. With 8 guest floors, we have a large quantity of rooms to accomodate for our visitors. Our staff goes out of their way to be accomodating to all of our guests, and I am happy they were able to do so for your colleages.

Thyme Restaurant, located on the lobby level of this hotel, has a something for everyone, serving breakfast, lunch, pizza, and dinner. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at Thyme.

Thank you, again, for staying with us at the Holiday Inn - Downtown in Rochester, where we look forward to serving you agian.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had a wedding inside the event center and staff were pretty flexible with allowing us time to set up our site beforehand, However there was a lady who was very pushy, telling us how she wanted things to go and we didn't agree,

In the end there was another staff member who absolutely catered to my needs and everyone else's, very professional. He spilled my drink at one point during the event and wanted to get me another one, Very nice gesture. I said there was no need to worry and he thanked me for my patience. He also came over to the head table several times to check on what we might need, and quickly got anything we asked for, He even cut the cake when we asked and dished it up in no time. Stellar guy, Whatever you pay him, double it !

The next morning when it came time to checkout, we were under the impression that included in the price of the rooms for the wedding party guests is that the parking for them was included in the price, yet some guests ended up having to pay at the gate to get out.. One my the guests were absolutely furious about this, We felt like the GM of this hotel got a bit of an attitude with us, flat out told us it wasn't part of the room rate, instead of providing us with the ability to assure us it was 100% included or not, Perhaps one of his employees lured us in with the lie of free parking... Not sure.

What really pissed me off was we saw on multiple occasions that a select few employees were sitting around drinking our alcohol, and at the end of the night were seen "finishing the keg"
We also have pictures of them in our photobooth, clearly not doing their job, and using another thing we provided for the guests to use.

The suite we were given as part of the whole deal was in a very noisy location and we were awakened many times in the morning hours before we desired actually waking up.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PeaceandLove2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear PeaceandLove2014,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking time to share your experience with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced brought about by noise levels and unacceptable behavior of our hotel staff. We take such comments from our valuable guests into serious consideration for this will help us target these specific concerns and make necessary steps to improving our service.

I hope we get the chance to hosting you again in the future.

Faith R

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was in Rochester for business on a Saturday. I checked in before 5:00 pm and checked out about an hour later before 6:00 pm when I discovered that my business reason had been cancelled. I had only visited the room and dropped my luggage. I used nothing.
The person at the front desk said she could not give me credit and that it would have to be approved by the General Manager on Monday. I called the accounting office after a few days and she said she would send an email to the General Manager requesting the credit. After 4 more days I called and spoke with the General Manager and he would not give me credit for a room I did not stay in or use at all ! ! ! They are a franchise and you have no recourse up the Holiday Inn chain of command.
This is the kind of treatment you can expect at this hotel. Be forewarned!

Room Tip: Very customer UNfriendly!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Marwan H, Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear sir :
as i remmember talking to you regards your refund, because you stayed for one hour and then checked out, assuming that you will get refund and when we refused to give you refund we are terrible people and you rate the property as (one point) after you have used the room, i am sorry that your plan has changed and you have to leave earlier but this is the rules you checked in for over an hour, and we have to charge you.
again i am sorry you feel this way and i want you to know that i value you as guest and appreciate your business, and really if you stayed with us you will enjoy your stay. again thank you for the review and have a good day. next time you are in town i could accomdate you better but i can't go against the rules.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My stay at holiday inn was a big disappointment. The hotel is run down, the restaurant was closed, the parking was nearly impossible/huge hassle and the front desk staff not very helpful. We were told to park in the oversize parking, which is a joke, no room to get out. I contacted the front desk and told him my concerns,asked for other options. He had no helpful suggestions when I aksed if this is the only place to park. YEP was his response more than once. (NICK) The next day my friend tried to get out of the ridiculous parking area and was screamed at by the parking attendant. Another man came along hearing this and told my friend to report him to the hotel as he was being a rude jerk. (I think this was a maintenance man.) All the while I have just had a major surgery and am waiting to get picked up at the hospital and my poor friend was getting yelled at by some old nasty man that works for holiday inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pink warrior s
Marwan H, Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Maam
I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you faced during your stay, we value you as a customer and we appreciate your business. As far as the restaurant; Easter day is big day for us we served over 750 customer, from 9 am till 2 pm and that is the restaurant hours for the Easter day , as far as the parking, it is belong to the city of Rochester not to the Holiday Inn, and the employees there they work for the city; and they don't work for us. I am very sorry if any one of them disrespect your husband in any way. We don't tolerate that and we could report him to the city if you brought the matter to our attention.
Again we appreciate your business and your comfort means a lot to us also your opinion, if you ever choose to stay with us my name is Marvin and i am the GM i will like to make it right to you.
Thank you again and have a wonderful day

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Convenient to Mayo so we selected this hotel. Parking is city owned and not free or included. Hotel staff was helpful and very nice . Room was what you'd expect from a dated Holiday Inn. Room was 77 degrees and after hours of AC warmed down to 76. Like sleeping in a sauna. Bed was good though . An average stay at best.

Stayed: April 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear pudelpointerman,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that our location was suitable for your needs and you found our staff helpful and nice. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the inconvenience the air conditioning system may have caused you. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel is facing South Broadway and the hotel parking is actually around the corner at the 2nd street parking ramp. This parking ramp has an accessible ramp that goes into the hotel lobby. You enter the Broadway entrance at street level and can take an escalator or elevator to the 2nd floor lobby.We used to stay here before the remodel which reinstalled the pool, turned the breakfast room into part of a conference room and ditched free breakfast. It is better to eat at the Mayo cafeteria anyway. The redo was done on the cheap and rooms all have plastic cups. The beds were a little too firm for us and we were unable to get extra hangers in spite of asking the maid twice. Being able to control the room temperature with your own thermostat is a nice feature. The pool is great if you have kids. Rooms around the pool are noisy. Thyme restaurant is average and service was slow during our visit unless you ordered at the bar. Burgers are good. Hotel is connected to Mayo by skyways and subways. It takes around ten minutes of brisk walking. A little bit farther than most of the other connected hotels. If the weather is good you can easily walk it in less than 10 minutes but you will be crossing streets. The hotel is also right across the street from the short but nice historic 3rd street. The business center (room) at lobby level seemed to work fine. Internet access is horrible to get and/or keep. Probably will not say there in the future. One plus is that the free shuttle to the clinics only takes about 5 minutes.

Room Tip: If you are going to the Mayo, call the hotel directly for the better "Mayo patient" rate w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear stillwatercove,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We are delighted you found our elevator speed commendable. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements needed.

Joel B