“Attended for Business - good location w/ skywalks”

Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Madison, Wisconsin
“Attended for Business - good location w/ skywalks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed for business 2 nights - pulled into the parking garage and the device read 'Full'. There is a person in one of the exit booths - I explained I was a hotel guest and he raised the arm so I could park - there were limited spots available. This is an older hotel but clean and well maintained. The skywalk from the parking garage will take you to the 2nd floor of the hotel - just follow the signs to the lobby; the lobby is small and on the 2nd floor, by the bar area. If you have kids and want to use the pool, ask for the 2nd floor rooms right off of the pool - you open your door and boom, there is the pool. I stayed on the 7th floor facing Broadway - the street noise wasn't too noticeable and the church steeple lit up at night is very pretty. I would recommend a small fan to drown out any street noise. The room had 2 double-beds - they were comfortable, a night stand between the 2, a desk, a dresser w/ a microwave and flat screen TV. There are limited outlets - none available to charge anything on the nightstand between the beds. The bathroom had a shower / tub - clean and everything worked fine. The hotel is a block from the Mayo civic center and if weather is bad - connected via skywalks. There is a nice river walk between the hotel and civic center. As a rewards member, I was provided a $10 off a $25 bill in the restaurant. There is no complimentary breakfast or evening beverages. Good place for a well-maintained basic needs lodging.

Room Tip: If you have children and want to use the pool - there are rooms on the 2nd floor that open right up...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn - Downtown during your recent visit to Rochester. I am pleased that you accepted my invitation for our IHG Social Mixer, and thank you for being an IHG Member! Thank you for noting the convenience of our property, tucked in the center of Downtown Rochester, in close proximity to the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Civic Center. If your future business trips bring you back to the Rochester area, I hope you'll choose to stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Johnston City, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I liked the hotel. We checked in very late on a Wednesday and looked forward to sleeping in a little in the morning. My complaint was that instead of propping the doors open when cleaning a room, cleaning staff go in and out of the room by letting the door slam on the top door latch. This went on repeatedly at each room down the hall starting at about 9:00. There is no excuse for that type of noise! How can you enjoy a relaxing stay with that going on outside of your room?

• Stayed July 2014
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Nova G,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn - Downtown. I appreciate the information you shared about the housekeeping staff. I will be using this as a coaching opportunity with the team here, to prevent disturbances in the morning. My Housekeeping manager appreciates your comments, as well. If you make a return visit to Rochester, I hope you'll stay with us again. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Midwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Hotel has seen its better days. Room a little shabby, worn bedding, small. Restaurant pretty ordinary. Lobby is on 2nd floor, so elevators are a little misleading which indicate lobby is on 1st floor. Got a good bargain through Hotwire, but the additional charge of $13 for parking made this hotel not such a great bargain for Rochester. Location was good though.

My advice: there are better options in this city.

Room Tip: You pay extra for parking.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn - Downtown. I apologize for the fact that you didn't feel the value of this property met your expectations. We do appreciate your stay, and will look forward to serving you in the future.
SD, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is the first time I have stayed at this property. I was warmly welcomed when I arrived. My room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Best of all it was very quiet all night long! It was a convenient location for my Mayo appointment and for the festive Thursday summer activities downtown. I was treated to a food/drink reception and was able to meet other guests. There are wonderful restaurants nearby and at the hotel. I will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn when I return to Rochester because it was a great experience for me!

Room Tip: As in every hotel, stay away from elevators and vending machines.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Celebr8life,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn - Downtown. I am happy that you enjoyed the IHG Member Reception that we hosted. Thank you for being our guest! If you make a return visit to Rochester, please come stay with us agian. We look forward to serving you in the future!
Powell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was there for surgery for my daughter with my brother and sister-in-law. Very convenient to all Mayo buildings and downtown. Rooms were comfortable and quiet unless young children not supervised well were in the pool. Parking is another story. $13 per day. Really? I already knew this beforehand. Most people do not. Please post this with your rates.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Diane F,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn - Downtown during your recent visit to Rochester. I am pleased that your stay was a comfortable one for you and your family. Thank you, as well, for the notation on the parking rates. I will re-check to ensure that our parking rates are posted on all booking engines we utilize for reservation creation.

Thank you for staying with us! We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Most Holiday Inns are 3-level motels. This is a 12-story high-rise, in the heart of downtown. Right on the skyway close to Mayo or the Convention Center and the parking garage. This seemed like a nicer place than the average HI, too, somewhat befitting the "hotel" rather than "motel" model. Food was pretty good, but service was occasionally slow. When I had to extend my stay, they were gracious and accommodating, and even found a room for my colleagues. No complaints, no standout performances.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank snochasr
Jes G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn - Downtown.

Our hotel is unique, as we have many privately owned condos that rest atop our convienently located hotel in downtown Rochester. With 8 guest floors, we have a large quantity of rooms to accomodate for our visitors. Our staff goes out of their way to be accomodating to all of our guests, and I am happy they were able to do so for your colleages.

Thyme Restaurant, located on the lobby level of this hotel, has a something for everyone, serving breakfast, lunch, pizza, and dinner. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at Thyme.

Thank you, again, for staying with us at the Holiday Inn - Downtown in Rochester, where we look forward to serving you agian.
Austin, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had a wedding inside the event center and staff were pretty flexible with allowing us time to set up our site beforehand, However there was a lady who was very pushy, telling us how she wanted things to go and we didn't agree,

In the end there was another staff member who absolutely catered to my needs and everyone else's, very professional. He spilled my drink at one point during the event and wanted to get me another one, Very nice gesture. I said there was no need to worry and he thanked me for my patience. He also came over to the head table several times to check on what we might need, and quickly got anything we asked for, He even cut the cake when we asked and dished it up in no time. Stellar guy, Whatever you pay him, double it !

The next morning when it came time to checkout, we were under the impression that included in the price of the rooms for the wedding party guests is that the parking for them was included in the price, yet some guests ended up having to pay at the gate to get out.. One my the guests were absolutely furious about this, We felt like the GM of this hotel got a bit of an attitude with us, flat out told us it wasn't part of the room rate, instead of providing us with the ability to assure us it was 100% included or not, Perhaps one of his employees lured us in with the lie of free parking... Not sure.

What really pissed me off was we saw on multiple occasions that a select few employees were sitting around drinking our alcohol, and at the end of the night were seen "finishing the keg"
We also have pictures of them in our photobooth, clearly not doing their job, and using another thing we provided for the guests to use.

The suite we were given as part of the whole deal was in a very noisy location and we were awakened many times in the morning hours before we desired actually waking up.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeaceandLove2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear PeaceandLove2014,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking time to share your experience with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced brought about by noise levels and unacceptable behavior of our hotel staff. We take such comments from our valuable guests into serious consideration for this will help us target these specific concerns and make necessary steps to improving our service.

I hope we get the chance to hosting you again in the future.

Faith R