“Nice enough”

Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Waverly, Iowa
“Nice enough”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

very good hot tub, nice pool kinda cold at first. Breakfast needs a little more attention payed to it. For example the scrambled eggs were low and had been left un stirred till they were crusty. The hotel help is friendly and helpful. Room was ok with a balcony. The balcony smelled smokey but not the room. The winner was that we used Choice rewards points and they were the cheapest around on those but not when you used cash.

Room Tip: Nice shopping center across the the 4 lane with Walmart, Texas Road House, Culvers. the other way Mc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bill W, Manager at Comfort Inn Rochester, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your response as we use all comments to help improve our service. I have talked to the breakfast staff about the eggs to try to keep them as fresh as possible. We will do a little more training since we have new breakfast attendants that were unsure of what to do.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in Rochester to take my father to the Mayo Clinic. It was a 10 day trip. For the first half of the trip, my sister stayed in the room with our mother, and I came for the second half, and sister went home. The staff was helpful and friendly upon check in.

The third morning, upon returning from visiting my father in the hospital, my sister noted that her belongings had been moved and her camera had been stolen. Further, the cleaning person had left his/her supplies in the room, on my sister's bed, on the side close to the wall, where they shoud have not been. Her bags were there, and had been rifled. The let the desk staff know, who were nice but unable to act until Monday, when the manager was in house.

My sister and I traded places Monday, so I was the one to deal with the manager. He was nice, but totally ineffectual. He took a few days to review the security footage and review any staff who were on duty at the time of the theft, and noted that two staff entered the rooms at different times. There should have only been one entry, the cleaning person, and the manager claimed to not be able to tell from the visual record who had been in the room, so there was nothing he could do. He offered to call the police, but was clearly not concerned about the thievery committed by his staff.

There were not many available rooms for the duration we needed, so we were stuck there, and had to decline to have our room cleaned for the rest of the stay, as we could not trust the staff and management to use due diligence in protecting our belongings. Every day we ended up taking all our electronics and medications with us everywhere, as it was really obvious we could not trust the staff.

Clearly we can't prove it, but it seems really clear that the manager should have been able to figure out who was in the room when they should not have been. Further, the manager made no move to make it right with us, by virtue of a discount for that or future stay, or any assurance that extra steps would be taken to protect our security. The fact that he took a full 5 or 6 days to 'investigate' clearly demonstrates that at this location, at least, security and guest comfort is not an urgent concern.

The beds were really comfortable, the pool was nice, facility clean and attractive. Still not good enough to make up for the violation and apathy of the manager

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JDS66049
Bill W, Manager at Comfort Inn Rochester, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We do take this type of report very serious and that is what took me so long to interview each of the housekeeping staff as they do not work every day. As I explained to you the distance from the camera to your room was to far for me to see the faces of the employees. That is why I ask you to have the police come out and look into it. As I explained I personally talked with the two housekeepers who were working on that floor, who have never had a complaint about them, and they assured me they did not take anything from your room. I can only go with want I know to be true which was 1- the camera was missing and 2- the housekeepers are saying they did not take it, which is why I wanted the police to come and interview everyone involved.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Loved staying here. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Common areas and rooms were very clean. Bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it. Breakfast was varied and was good. Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank elsner2006
On behalf of the entire staff we would like to thank you for staying with us and look forward to your return.
Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had a child that hoppèd around to a couple of her friends hotel rooms, so not sure where exactly it stemmed, but within 10 days after staying at this hotel in February, another daughter began getting what she called "mosquito bites". Initially, we chalked it up to spider bites. Then after a misdiagnosis of scabies, we have now found a bed bug infestation in the room my daughters share in our home. The manager says no sign of bed bugs in room we stayed, but it took a canine to find it in my daughters bed frame after a visual inspection came up negative. Surely bed bugs can come from many places, but I am convinced this hotel is where they originated. Very expensive to resolve!! I would not stay here again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bill W, Manager at Comfort Inn Rochester, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
We take reports of bed bugs very serious and after you called me last week I had the room shut down even if it had been over 3 months since you stayed in the room. Our pest control company came in and inspected the room and the rooms next to it and across the hall to find no signs of bed bugs in any of the rooms. If there had been any bed bugs in the room when you stayed we would not have needed a dog to see them as they would have been quite large by this time. We have had other guests stay in this room with no reports of any problems. We have our housekeepers and maintenance staff trained to look for these kind of problems as we want our guests to have a stress free stay while in Rochester.
MN
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here due to a convention that stole my usual downtown hotel...The room was relatively cheap, $80 something WITH tax, and the staff were most gracious and friendly. The room lacked the attention to detail that makes it FEEL clean: stained bedspread, gouged dresser top, a few crumbs, etc. Ditto for the common area - maybe clean the windows/door glass? Breakfast was good, though I cringe at the amount of plastic and styrofoam being trashed. The ice machine was gross; the floor around it mildey with visible mouse trap device on the floor. I had a decent sleep, but would not stay here again. I'd rather pay a little more and feel like my room and the facility were really clean.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Willmar, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here for business. Check in was a bit slow and I was not recognized as a Choice Privileges member upon check in. But overall the facility is clean and comfortable with a pool. Breakfast was ample and when I need to stay on the North side of Rochester I will stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 March 2014

WE have been coming to the Mayo clinic for over 2 years now and we always stayed at another motel closer but the service there declined so we decided to try a different hotel. We ended up choosing the Comfort Inn based on a conversation my wife had with the front desk clerk when she called. The clerk was friendly and knowledgeable. When we checked in we were very satisfied with our room and the friendly staff. The only reason they get a 4 is because the tv volume is hard to hear. All in all this is a great hotel and the continental breakfast is also great.

Room Tip: I would stay here again.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bill W, Manager at Comfort Inn Rochester, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for your response about your stay with us. I have had maintenance check the TV in that room and it was set at a lower volume. This has been corrected.

Thanks you,