“Good nights sleep, reasonably priced”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Marcellus, New York
“Good nights sleep, reasonably priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Our room was a little worn-looking and partially painted (furniture moved/removed?) but all in all a decent place for a good nights sleep. Parking lot was well-lit and seemed safe. Not far off the highway, and staff was helpful and pleasant

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank GracieCNY
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you got a good night's rest during your stay with us. I would like to apologize that the condition of your guest room was in need of some renovation. We are looking forward to a renovation to all of our guest rooms later this year. I hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Michelle Steffl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

We are seniors who travel a lot. We seen many places that are real dumps, but this place is an excellent place for the money!!!

We stayed at the south location during a bicycling trip to Root River bike trails. The breakfast was excellent! Well worth the couple of extra of bucks over the cheaper places. Also, there were AAA and AARP discounts online.reservations.

The pool was cool but nice. We plan to stay there again when we are in Rochester, MN.

Room Tip: Its a tricky to get to the hotel. However, its located on the main shopping strip. A mile up and...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary B
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that using the countryinns.com website was user friendly and had the discounts available you were looking for. We hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Buffalo MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have always enjoyed Country Inn and Suites, but never again! I needed to change the date of my reservation by one day (three weeks ahead of time), but received the message that I couldn't do that - my reservation had been pre-paid. All efforts at trying to actually talk to someone failed.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites, Rochester South, MN. I would like to apologize that your reservation was not able to be changed due to the third party rules and restrictions that they place on these reservations. I can understand your frustrations regarding this issue and appreciate your feedback. I hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

My husband, son and I stayed at the hotel while attending appointments at the Mayo Clinic. The staff was very helpful, friendly and courteous. The hotel was clean as were the rooms and bathrooms. We were very pleased and would stay here again if we return to Rochester MN.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, MN. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was in Rochester for business with a colleague and could not fly to Minneapolis because of severe weather for 24 hours. Flight cancelled, we were directed to this hotel. They were great! They even paid for our cab fare from the airport and back the next day. The staff were very nice and courteous - and helped with all things we needed. My room did have a small place on one wall that had water stains, and the living room did not cool off well, but I spent very little time in the room so no matter. The wall cooling unit in the bedroom was great and had remote control! Everything else worked well and the room was clean.
And they had both Coke and Pepsi vending machines. Staying downtown for 3 nights before, I couldn't find a Coke vending machine anywhere! Sp, this was nice!
Breakfast was great - a full buffet of hot eggs, sausage, and many other options. Plus good coffee. As a person who needs protein and not carbs and sugar, I really appreciated this.
It was also fairly close to the airport, which was helpful.
The cost was VERY reasonable too!
There was only one restaurant nearby but it was good. It was a bit longer walk than we expected (and with a bad back was a little taxing) and we had concerns about safety walking back in the dark as there were no sidewalks. But the road was lighted and we were careful.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff were accommomodating. I realize that you were not anticipating to stay overnight in Rochester, but I am so happy you choose to stay with us. I hope you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Hibbing, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending appointments at the Mayo clinic. My husband stayed with me.

The room was fine, but as others have mentioned, it is in need of updating. The mattress was not as comfortable as other hotels I've stayed at in this chain. Also the couch had some wear and the shower leaked. That being said, I'm particular about where I stay and I would go back to this hotel.

The pool was a bit cool and since I have pain issues, I did take advantage of the hot tub. I would have preferred a warmer pool to do my water exercises. In part, I did chose this hotel because it had a pool.

The hotel did send out a questionaire after my stay so I felt that they are working on making changes as needed.

These problems were minor in comparison to other ammenities. After a long day at the clinics, it was nice to come back to coffee or other warm beverages and a jar of cookies and a bowl of fruit. Breakfast was wonderful with all the healthy alternatives as well as some yummy wafles, bacon and other hot breakfast items, including scrambled eggs and omlets. The menu varied slightly each day.

The staff was wonderful. Any issues with the room were promptly addressed. The young man who cleaned our room each day made sure we had enough of anything he could offer from his housekeeping cart. He was so kind.

The breakfast staff was always on top of things, and made sure we had ample choices to start our day. If someone asked for something extra; for example, someone asked about salsa for their omlet and the hostess went back into the kitchen and found some! They were so caring of everyone who came in.

As many of the guests are there for clinic visits or spending time with friends or family who are hospitalized, you can imagine that for some it is a very trying time. One morning in particular I saw a gentleman talking with the desk staff. She was so kind! He started to get teary and apologized for his tears. She right away assured him that he had nothing to apologize for because he was sick and had a right to feel the way he did. I just have to say kudos to whoever hired the people who work there. They certainly knew how to treat guests well.

I will also add that this hotel has shuttle service to and from the clinics which were great! Staying at the south end of town we were not very close to the clinics and hospitals but our shuttle drivers made sure we got to where we needed on time and exactly where we needed to be. Again, I can't say enough good about the folks that were there to make sure our stay was as worry-free and comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: I was glad I upgraded to a suite. Being there for a week, it gave us more room and my husband could...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicki N
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South, MN. We value your comments about your stay, we are looking forward to begin the renovation later this year to all of our guest rooms. I am so pleased to hear that the staff excedeed your expectations. We would love for you to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

St Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have been staying at this property on a off for the past couple of years and as can be concluded
I am satisfied with my experiences staying there. Staff is always helpful and friendly. Checking in and out is fast an efficient. Rooms have always been clean. Bedding and towels more than acceptable. Spa area has always been clean and well stocked. Breakfast is better than provided
by most in this price range. I would agree with others who have reviewed this property that it is getting close to the time when updating needs to occur but since I am a rather picky person and keep returning, I feel comfortable recommending it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester, South. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, we value your comments so that we can make improvements in areas needed. I hope you will continue to stay with us if your travels bring you back to our area again.