“Comfortable room, warm staff”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We arrived on Friday to visit my son who is staying in Rochester for the summer. First impressions were a nice looking exterior with petunia baskets, and a helpful front desk at check in. The lobby area is well decorated, with a dining room to the side. Room was spacious and beds comfortable. As noted in past reviews they are working on renovations. Our room looked to be fully done aside from baseboards to be added which I didn't notice to be honest, my husband did. He was only looking to try to understand past reviews.

The bathroom was nice, including upscale shampoo and conditioner products.

Very quiet at night.

Breakfast was above average, with waffles that had both blueberries and strawberries, an assortment of pastries, eggs, sausage and what not, plus an array of boxed cereals. I came down earlier for breakfast than the start time, because I hadn't paid attention, but that wasn't a big deal. The breakfast person was very nice.

All said, this hotel exceeded expectations and we will stay here later this summer during our next
trip to Rochester in a couple months.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms and look forward to the completion within the next month. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Rochester.

Michelle Steffl

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN

Reviewed 20 May 2013

When we arrived, there was a large sign announcing they were in the process of upgrading the rooms. There were some new mirrors and art in the rooms but the walls still needed repainting, which had absolutely no effect on our comfort during our stay. We stayed over a Friday-Saturday night and the hotel was definitely busy but our rooms were quiet as could be. The beds are pretty soft which was ok (I'm used to a firmer mattress). The breakfast was set up earlier than advertised (prior to 7am) on Saturday and Sunday which was great because we had to be out the door by 730am. The room had a microwave and minifridge, tons of towels, and pretty great toiletries. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the stairwell and the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to serve the continental breakfast earlier than the posted time. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed on a Friday-Sunday. Right away we saw a sign apologizing, but they were in the middle of upgrading the rooms. There were new pictures/mirrors in the room, but the place still needed painting and carpet. Didn't bother us at all. We had a microwave and mini-fridge in the room. Breakfast was good; waffle maker, plus french toast, eggs, biscuits, etc. Dining room staff were very nice as was all the staff. Pool was open and clean. There was a group of high school girls in town for a tournament, but were were on the other wing and only noticed them in the lobby or pool and they weren't a problem to us at all. Would stay here again, especially for the great price we received.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope you stay with us on your next visit to Rochester.

Sincerelly,

Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

I booked this on Hotwire. It was listed as a 3 star hotel. Of course I was a little surprised that after I paid it was a Country Inn but the way hotels are remodeling...maybe it was nice.

No...it's not. The girl who checked me in has no business being in customer service as she acted like it was an inconvenience to check us in.

The room. It was just awful. It had a terrible odor, the walls had holes in them. The bathroom still had the last guests towels in a pile.

I didn't mind the location as it is just a short 5 minute drive to everything you could ever need.

• Stayed: March 2013
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize about the service you received from our front desk staff. This is unacceptable and I will be looking into this issue with our staff. I would also like to apologize for the condition of your guest room. We have just began a renovation in all of our guest rooms and look forward to the completion within the next few months. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the near future if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week while visiting the Mayo Clinic. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and fairly nice (our room contained 2 televisions, a sitting area, king sized bed, mini refrigerator, and a microwave), and the breakfast was much more than expected. The shuttle was a nice free option to go to Mayo, however they were often late and packed to capacity. There is a Super Target and a few other stores just down the road, however for dinner options most people, including us, will find in necessary to drive north on Broadway.

• Stayed: March 2013
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that the shuttle was not always on time during your stay. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I stayed overnight here because I had an appointment at the mayo clinic. I thought the lobby was very nice and the staff was very friendly. The hotel was kind of hard to get to you need to take two exits and a back road to get to it. It was very confusing . When we did get into our room I was not impressed the room looked like they tried to do some remolding but they didn't know what they were doing. there were faded spots on the wallpaper where old photos were, and holes in the walls from artwork that had been taken down. They didn't look good and the pillows were way to soft, there was no support to them what so ever, it was treble I needed to wrap them in a blanket just to be able to sleep with them.the complimentary breakfast was nice they have a nice dining area and a good selection when it comes to breakfast.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Cory L
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that the condition of your guest room was in need of remodeling. We are just beginning a renovation in all of our guest rooms and look forward to the completion of this process in the next several months. I hope that you will consinder staying with us again if your travels bring you back to the Rochester area.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

It was a Carlson Country Inn & Suites, they are all pretty much the same. Couple of comments on my stay: inconvenient location in an Industrial park. If you are coming to the property from the north you drive by it and then have to circle back around to access it. Only one bar/restaurant close by, everything else is 2-3 driving miles away. Property was generally clean, but in need of a refresh. Surprisingly they offered Smoking rooms, I smoke so I took one. You could tell they changed the art hanging in the room, from the black squares on the wall where the old pictures used to hang (come on owner, it would take less than an hour to paint the 1 wall). I received a discounted rate because a friend works for Carlson, so I thought I got my monies worth. If I had paid full price I would have been disappointed. To sum it up, if you can get a room for less then $100 it's probably worth it, anymore than that you can do better closer to downtown or on the north end.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Devoided
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suiites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that our location is difficult to get to with the recent road construction in our area. I appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us again if you are back in our area again.