“Clean and safe choice for S. Rochester area”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Clean and safe choice for S. Rochester area”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Clean and safe; good value; I emphasize the word clean, too. I'm a single female traveler so safety is very important; I only stay in properties that have interior corridors. Room's door was solid and heavy; good additional dead bolt. Room key always worked; no fails or continuously trying to swipe to get in. Parking lot is in good repair and well-lit at night. Parking is all in front of hotel; was able to see my car from room, which I liked. While the property was off a busy road - you never heard traffic noise; speaking of noise, walls between rooms must be decent thickness - never heard neighbors at all. They have posted signs on exit doors indicating no running, horseplay or loud noises after 10:00 pm, which is when Quiet time begins. I appreciated that. I did not see any families with small kids during my two night stay - mostly seniors or business ppl. Outside of a thunderstorm, it was a quiet stay during the night and day. I did not use the pool or spa. I did not see water in the spa from the doorway, so either it was not working or the water level was low. The pool looked very nice and fairly large size. Deck area around pool was spacious and nice, plentiful furniture. BTW, interior pool so you can use it year round, a must up here where it gets so cold during the winter. Small lobby but sufficient as I do not know anyone who hangs around lobbies or sits in them - wasted space for the most part. However, this lobby was nice - coffee always available and, of course, the cookies. Right off the lobby is the breakfast area. There are seats for 44 people; substantial and it was never full while I was there but still busy. Always clean and well-lit. Hot breakfast items included scrambled eggs one day, western omelets the other; sausage links and patties, diced potatoes, and oatmeal. Also, make your own waffles, assortment of breads, bagels, muffins and fresh fruits (apples, oranges, sliced melons). The small refrigerator had milk (fat free white and chocolate) and yogurt. Juice machine had three choices, and there were 3 coffee choices. Substantial breakfast - much more than average continental type. I did not need lunch, really, after eating breakfast here. My room was in very good repair, clean and smelled nice. Air/heater unit was quiet and worked well and quickly - also no odors from it (many in other places always seem to smell musty or mildewy). Either the hotel is very new (less than 5 years?) or they maintain it well as ceiling and walls in room showed no dents, nicks, or any signs of needing paint touch-ups. Artworks (photographs not painted scenes) in room and bath was nice - contemporary and not standard hotel variety of crappy art. Large flat screen TV on swivel base. Small refrigerator and microwave were nice; coffee maker was standard small barely 2 cupper. Bathroom was very clean, tile and caulking were clean - no mold or stains. Good lighting and shower curtain was exvellent (clean but also let light through so you did not shower in near darkness). Good toiletries (Pantene and Vaseline). Beds were firm but still soft. For me, they were very good but mattress comfort is subjective - some prefer rock-hard and others pillowy soft. I found them to be very good and seemed new. Sheets were in good condition, pillows a bit small and very squishy but they give your extras on shelf in closet area. Very heavy comforter was on bed but was nice and warm. Towels in bath were plentiful and of decent thickness and not scratchy, rough but not the most soft either but more than ok. The hotel's name has "suites" in it but I would not call my room a suite. It was adequate size but was standard 2 queen beds, small square desk with two wooden chairs, 2 drawer dresser with TV on top, nightstand and bar counter with microwave and fridge underneath. No sofa, no comfrotable chair no second room that would qualify for a suite status.

Personnel: housekeeping were pleasant and always said hello. Morning dek staff were always there and smiling and said good morning. I originally planned to be in the area for only 1 night; they were quick to accommodate my needing a second night and honored my discounted rate. The night auditor, Donovan, was very nice and helpful during my check-in.

The only CONS that come immediately to mind are: bathtub is very slippery!! I almost fell 2 to 3 times - hotel needs to install some type of anti-skid or anti-slip decals to bottom of tub; accident and lawsuit waiting to happen. At same time, grab bar would be a nice addition. ONly thing to hold on to now is a bar so low it can only be reached if you reclining in a bath. A working alarm clock (my alarm went off only 1 of 2 days and setting the alarm time was problematic. Lastly, insufficient room lighting. During the day, the windows are large and let in tons of light but at night there is only the bedside lamp and two lights over small kitchen bar area. There should be an additional light source in corner of the room near the desk and chairs; working on my laptop at night was with very dim lighting.

Room Tip: I was given a choice of a room on any of the three floors; I lucked out with a room just one room aw...
Green Features: There are placards asking you to be environmentally aware and re-use towels or something. Sorry, but on vacation I want to be pampered so I get new towels each day.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your recent visit. I would like to apologize that there was no lighting by the table in your room, this is an issue we are working on resolving. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I hope to see you again if your are back in our area>

Michelle Steffl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Front counter were very professional. Very accommodating and wanting to do their best to make my stay comfortable. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was nice and the fruit and cookies are a special touch.
Ryan at front desk is exceptional.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your recenst stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your visit. I greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to you staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Brownsville, WI
Reviewed 3 June 2013

It is obvious that the Country Inn & Suites are changing their look. Nice, modern artwork and furnishings. The French doors separating the bedroom from the living area was great! Loved the extra TV in the bedroom and the roomy sitting area and wet bar!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so happy to hear you like the renovations that are being done at our location. We are looking forward to the completion of the first phase of renovations within the next month. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Rochester.

Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Rochester South with a friend for one night. We were more than impressed with the clean rooms, friendly staff, and wonderful breakfast! I was able to take the complimentary shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic which was very helpful as I was traveling without a vehicle. I would suggest this hotel to anyone visiting the Rochester area!

• Stayed May 2013
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to hear that the shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic worked out well for your family. I hope that you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to the Rochester area.

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We arrived on Friday to visit my son who is staying in Rochester for the summer. First impressions were a nice looking exterior with petunia baskets, and a helpful front desk at check in. The lobby area is well decorated, with a dining room to the side. Room was spacious and beds comfortable. As noted in past reviews they are working on renovations. Our room looked to be fully done aside from baseboards to be added which I didn't notice to be honest, my husband did. He was only looking to try to understand past reviews.

The bathroom was nice, including upscale shampoo and conditioner products.

Very quiet at night.

Breakfast was above average, with waffles that had both blueberries and strawberries, an assortment of pastries, eggs, sausage and what not, plus an array of boxed cereals. I came down earlier for breakfast than the start time, because I hadn't paid attention, but that wasn't a big deal. The breakfast person was very nice.

All said, this hotel exceeded expectations and we will stay here later this summer during our next
trip to Rochester in a couple months.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms and look forward to the completion within the next month. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Rochester.

omaha, nebraska
Reviewed 20 May 2013

When we arrived, there was a large sign announcing they were in the process of upgrading the rooms. There were some new mirrors and art in the rooms but the walls still needed repainting, which had absolutely no effect on our comfort during our stay. We stayed over a Friday-Saturday night and the hotel was definitely busy but our rooms were quiet as could be. The beds are pretty soft which was ok (I'm used to a firmer mattress). The breakfast was set up earlier than advertised (prior to 7am) on Saturday and Sunday which was great because we had to be out the door by 730am. The room had a microwave and minifridge, tons of towels, and pretty great toiletries. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the stairwell and the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to serve the continental breakfast earlier than the posted time. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Bloomington
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed on a Friday-Sunday. Right away we saw a sign apologizing, but they were in the middle of upgrading the rooms. There were new pictures/mirrors in the room, but the place still needed painting and carpet. Didn't bother us at all. We had a microwave and mini-fridge in the room. Breakfast was good; waffle maker, plus french toast, eggs, biscuits, etc. Dining room staff were very nice as was all the staff. Pool was open and clean. There was a group of high school girls in town for a tournament, but were were on the other wing and only noticed them in the lobby or pool and they weren't a problem to us at all. Would stay here again, especially for the great price we received.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope you stay with us on your next visit to Rochester.

Sincerelly,