“I'll stay again!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We had a one day visit to Rochester that turned into two, but a room for a second night at my original hotel was not available. I did some searching and found the Country Inn & Suites South was available at an affordable rate. I had previously enjoyed Country Inn in other cities, so I jumped at the chance. I'm so glad I did!

While this facility is quite a bit further away from the Mayo Clinic, it was so worth it. The room was a real suite, with a nice sofabed and TV in one area and a separate bedroom. It was nice to be able to enjoy TV without sitting on the bed! The rooms were in good shape. The beds are typical of beds of hotels in this price range.

The heating/AC was a through-the-wall type, but very quiet. Overall, I found the place to be quiet. The bathroom was good, including the hoop-style shower curtain that offers so much extra room.

Breakfast was great - including fresh fruit, cereals, hot biscuits and gravy, sausages, and my favorite Belgian waffles.

The trip downtown is a bit further, but still pretty direct drive. Most of the challenge of getting to Mayo is navigating the route into the parking structures. The hotel is in an odd location - not intuitive at all, so it's best to have a GPS or good directions. You can see it from the main drag, but you'll need to head south and double back to find the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is pretty isolated, so don't worry about noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you were here. I apologize that our location is a bit difficult to get to with the road changes in our area. I do hope that you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights this month during our visit to Mayo Clinic.

Our room was clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was good. It was nice to have an egg sandwich instead of the usually scrambled eggs that you get in a hotel.

The peanut butter cookies offered were delicious! I won't admit to how many we ate. The chocolate chip cookies were awful. Could not eat them!

Amanda at the desk was awesome! Because of our appointments at the Clinic she was able to give us a 4:00 checkout time! That is unheard of.]

Because of Amanda we are staying at this hotel again when we have to return to Mayo in 2 weeks.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that Amanda provided great customer service. I will be sure to pass along your comments to her. We look forward to having you as our guest again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Country Inn and Suites Rochester South. We ended up here by accident as I was not paying attention when I booked the hotel for Rochester. We always stay at the one on highway 52. I was a bit concerned that this hotel would be too far out for us.

It was a much nicer hotel than the Country Inn and Suites on highway 52! We were close to the mall for dinner, easy on and off to head into town. The hotel was great!

The staff was very friendly, lots of breakfast options from fresh cut fruit, yogurt, waffles, etc. The pool area was very nice and clean. We booked it again for our next trip. Its 100x better than the tired hotel we used to stay at. And it was about $20 a night cheaper. Win/ Win!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our guest rooms and overall hotel amenities met your expectations. We look forward to having you as our guest again during your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My friend chose this place to stay while visiting Rochester. It worked out very well. The rooms were very comfortable and so were the beds. The bathroom needed a little attention. The toilet had rust stains. The shower curtain was stained at the bottom. However, it was a clean room in spite of those flaws. What I noticed immediately when I walked into the room was a stale, almost a smoke-smell even though it was a non smoking room. As soon as we turned on the air condition, the smell seemed to disappear. Our television did not work in our room, but as soon as we called the office, they came to fix it.

There were fresh baked cookies in the lobby and they were delicious.

The breakfast in the morning is scrumptious and it was very filling.

The restaurant, "Whistle Binkies," is within walking distance and was a great experience.

Room Tip: We slept on the third floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I would like to apologize that the room did not smell clean and fresh upon arrival and that the bathroom was not cleaned thorouhly before your arrival. I appreciate your comments so that we can make improvements in areas needed.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Our first impression was okay until my daughter had this huge wad of hair come out of the bathtub when she turned on the water. It was disgusting! The carpet in the room was visibly dirty and really needed to be cleaned (not just vacuumed) so we didn't want to walk barefoot. And while the hotel was no smoking, the stairwells were filled with smoke. We had the end room and it felt like we were sleeping right on the highway. However, our main complaint was the shuttle service. The shuttle only runs hourly and since they start at this hotel and then stop at 5 other hotels, it takes about 40 minutes to get to the Mayo Clinic. It just adds to the long day, especially if you just miss the shuttle when you're ready to return to the hotel. It also means you have to be up an hour earlier in the morning. The good things about the hotel (beds were comfortable and there is a refrigerator in the room) weren't enough to make us even think about recommending this to other Mayo patients.

Room Tip: Make sure you are far away from the wing of the hotel next to the freeway!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I would like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay due to the condition of the carpet in your room as well as the time it takes on the shuttle to get to the Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately we do not have our own shuttle van so it does take longer due to the contracted shuttle service does stop at other hotels on the way to the clinic. I can understand your frustrations regarding these issues. I do hope that you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here on a visit to Mayo Clinic and booked through a discount website (did not find out the hotel until I booked). I took the train to Winona and had arranged a shuttle to the hotel. When I went to arrange my trip home I discovered that the shuttle would not pick me up at this hotel to go to the airport, and initially they would not pick me up to go back to the train station (although eventually they agreed to pick me up before their normal route). Along the same lines, it's a fairly long ride to Mayo Clinic on the free hotel shuttle. This hotel is the first pick-up which is an advantage because it filled up so much that there were people standing and one hotel was bypassed altogether. The hotel itself I found to be very nice. I was in one of the recently remodeled rooms and found it to be very comfortable and bright. All of the other rooms down the hall were still under construction, and while the work did not stop at the time indicated on the front desk sign it was done at a reasonable hour. Front desk staff were very helpful. I really enjoyed the breakfast - good selection of hot items, bakery, waffles, yogurt, juice, coffee, etc. There is a complimentary computer and printer by the front desk which I used to print train tickets. There is not much in walking distance for restaurants, but I did order a pizza and they delivered right to my room which was very convenient. I only go to Rochester to visit Mayo Clinic and due to the location of this hotel I would probably not stay here again. Aside from the location I found the hotel to be comfortable and clean.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank SBATrip
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable. I apologize that we are farther from the Mayo Clinic than you would have liked. I appreciate your comments and do hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

nice room, nice decor, pretty clean, small fridge, divider wall between desk & bed, tv ok. Bathroom is nice but weird how the towel rack is IN the shower/tub... never saw anything like it before. No sink outside the bathroom, can't brush your teeth while another person is in the shower. Pretty nice breakfast items, the standard juice, coffee, fruit, cereal, bagels, toast, can make yourself a waffle, peanut butter, jelly, danish, the eggs are sort of a tiny egg omelette with a little cheese in the center. I think this room is great for people going to the Mayo Clinic, not so great for a vacation. If you forget any toiletries or need a snack or beverage, there are plenty of items to purchase and a handful of complimentary items. Very nice staff. Easy to get extra pillows or a question answered.

Room Tip: You can look on-line and choose your room by its decor and location, there is a nice view of a small...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Rocsouth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester South, MN, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us at the Country Inn & Suites Rochester South. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the amenities we offer were to your liking. I hope that you will consider staying with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.