“Affordable hotel especially for a long stay”

Extended Stay America - Rochester - South
Ranked #35 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Affordable hotel especially for a long stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a pretty bare bones hotel but the property is clean, the staff is friendly and I got a great rate ($50/night plus taxes). The rooms are spacious but you will need to supply your own toiletries, coffee and the morning breakfast is a grab-and-go with instant oatmeal, muffins, some fruit and coffee. Room cleaning service is included in stays of 8 days or longer. The bed was firm but not hard. I had a single queen room and that had a desk, small dining table, recliner and dresser. There is plenty of extra floor space to store suitcases, etc. The kitchen area is smaller but has a 2 burner stove, full size refrigerator/freezer, coffee maker, toaster and microwave.

The hotel is located off the interchange of 52 and 63 so it is easy to get to anywhere in Rochester. The shuttle runs once each hour and stops at several hotels along the way. The shuttle was late and after the stops, it was 40 minutes to Mayo from the set time of departure so plan ahead. This is a property to consider if you have an extended stay at Mayo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - South, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our hotel and your stay. The staff and I are proud to have provided you with a clean room at a great rate. As this hotel's manager, I am especially pleased to read that my staff was friendly. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked online about an hour before we arrived for a rate of $60. Everything else was full. You essentially get what you pay for. A full kitchen is nice if you are doing the 'extended stay'. The bed was OK, but a little on the firm and somehow saggy side. A/C worked, but the unit was falling apart. Rooms were clean, but could have been cleaner. The grab & go breakfast was deemed 'pitiful' by my 14 year old daughter on her way to a basketball tournament. It consists of coffee, prepackaged muffins, apples, oranges, bananas and dry oatmeal packets. That's it. You get what you pay for - be aware!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I regret to read that you felt your room could have been cleaner. I will be working with my housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards to ensure that this experience is not repeated. As well, I do apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our breakfast selection. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at RST2@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Genoa City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed at this Extended Stay America at least once a year for the past 5 years when I travel to the Mayo Clinic. I stayed here for 3 weeks on 2010. I have been happy with the quality of the property and staff. The front staff is always happy to see you. They offer a lot of information about the area and shuttle service to the Mayo Clinic.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway for quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Patricia - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so glad that we have been able to provide you with multiple comfortable stays. We are proud of our staff for taking great care of you.

Thank you again. We hope to see you again soon.
Central Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a convenient location - close to stores, restaurants and < 10 minutes from the Mayos. I had read a couple recent reviews after I booked and was a little nervous, but this was not my experience.
My room was very clean and large with a decent size bathroom and full tub and a convenient kitchenette with a stove, coffee maker, toaster, microwasve and a full-sized refrigerator – very convenient for longer stays and everything was spotless.. The furniture was modern with a large bed, desk/chair, a recliner and flat screen TV with a nice clear picture.
Staff was friendly any time I interacted with them. There is no pool or much lobby to speak of really. Breakfast wasn't much - muffins, granola bars and coffee, but since I had my own kitchen, I stopped at the nearby WalMart and picked up some breakfast items for my room. One thing to note, you don't get the daily room cleaning you would in most hotels. I believe they clean it once/week unless you pay a few dollars to have them come in and clean more often than that. This was convenient for me because I keep things picked up pretty well on my own and everything was where I left them when I return so I didn't mind it.
I'd recommend it to someone heading up to the Mayos for an extended stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DisneyToBeach
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - South, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had to find an inexpensive hotel as we were going to be there for a few day running tests at the Mayo Clinic. The Extended Stay has the cheapest rates we could find (without it being a real dump) and so we decided to stay there. The staff were very nice and helpful. The rooms are old and outdated. They have stains on carpet and do not smell the best, but we just opened the window to air the room out and always wore house shoes on the floors. We took the comforter off the bed and asked the front desk for an extra blanket. We made it work. There is no maid service during your stay, so if you want any towels, you have to go exchange your old ones for new ones. You have to empty your own trash. But for a few days, it is ok.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have two windows.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rakool1
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - South, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff. Still, I’m disheartened to learn that our level of cleanliness did not meet your expectations. I will meet with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me directly at, rst@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We made a short visit here but were very impressed with both the cleanliness of the rooms and the helpfulness of the staff. Everything in the room was spotless, couldn't even find any dust on the picture frames or the top of the doors. The front desk staff were especially friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundas, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Staff was very courteous, and I arrived late, just before the front desk closed. Room was average, but nothing better. Heater was definitely needed given the -5 degree conditions outside, but the heat smelled a little funky. Bathroom was in need of being updated, especially around the shower area...one of those I preferred to put a towel down in the tub for. Carpet looked to be in need of a cleaning. TV was old. Fine for a night prior to a flight out of RST, especially given it's fairly close location to the airport but I wouldn't really get that excited about making it my extended stay for a long visit to Rochester.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - South, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Christopher – The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you found our staff to be courteous. Still, I apologize that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations. As well, I am sorry that your heater smelled unpleasant. I will be meeting with our housekeeping and maintenance staffs to ensure your experience is not repeated. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional comments, please reach out to me at RST2@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.