“Utilitarian”

Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Utilitarian”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I just finished a month-long stay here - I was working in the area and this is the hotel my company picked. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The room was spacious for one person and relatively clean, although the carpeting was stained and the floor in the kitchen had cracked linoleum. The kitchen was fine, but if you are planning on doing much cooking you will want to bring a better knife and some utensils (my room had 1 steak-like knife and a spatula along with 2 sets of silverware, plates, cups and plastic glasses (cafeteria style). My room was very quiet, I was in a room next to the elevator and was concerned about this because I would be sleeping during the day, however, I had no problems and was not at all disturbed by any noises. They were very proud of the new 32" flat screen tvs in all the rooms, but chanel selection is minimal. My biggest complaint was the bed - it was rock hard. I had to purchase a foam mattress cover to even attempt to get some good sleep. Also, hotels really have to put their smoking areas away from the building! When the window was open, there was always the smell of smoke from outside!

Room Tip: If you have real issues with smoke, ask for a room away from any outdsed doors. Also, bring your own...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff and thoughts on the room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. We recognize that if our guests can't get a good night's sleep, they won't return, so we've chosen bedding that we hope best suits their needs. I do take seriously your concern, and promise that we will continue to look for ways to make sure every guest is as comfortable as possible when staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My family stayed for a few days while in a very complicated relocation to Rochester. This hotel surpassed my expectations! The staff were incredibly friendly and made me feel as much at home as possible (given the circumstances). The room was clean and comfortable and the kitchen was simple, yet adequete for our needs. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment.

Mandan, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We were staying in Rochester for medical reasons and the staff at this hotel made that stay great. They welcome you with open arms and make you feel like family.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Rochester - North, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I cant find south so I am going through North. Kathleen was exceptional above beyond duty went out and bought shakes she thought would help with my illness from the store. Tiny Mary even gave me a little going away gift/card from her and staff. (little mary was amazing as well level of compassion these women showed was great) There was also Theresa, another Mary and Polly who showed great customer service. We are already scheduled to come back in september thanks to these wonderful ladies We stayed 6.5 weeks. Duane and Doris Clausen

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Lidgerwood, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I already recommended this Hotel to family and friends. We had a wonderful stay and the staff were very friendly and polite. The Hotel also offered shuttle to the Mayo clinic area. Our room was very clean and tidy too. I will for sure stay here again!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie S

Land O Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed for 6 days while appointment at Mayo. good location, close to food, nice room with kitchen but if you book , pack a teflon pan for cooking. you will understand what i mean after first nite. great shuttle service to mayo. The only problem was the most important one if you are out of state. They offer no free long distance calling. It cost 1.90 to connect and .70 cent per minute. that is horrible if you have to keep out of state family members informed. this policy should be changedif you are a mayo patient. Microtel which is next door offers freee long distance calls. if that is important to you pick microtel because there suite rooms have kitchens just like E.S. Stores that are in walking distance is super target,five guys, chinese, and andy's liquors. lots of beer,wine choices. use med city taxi for best price. when going back to rochester airport 28.75 without tip. others were 30-35. great shuttle service to mayo

Room Tip: No Free Long Distance Calls, Expensive, 1.90 for hook up and .70 per minute Microtel next door is f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EDDIE P
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Danville, IL
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We have stayed here a few different times. Very economical and clean. Everything you need if going to Mayo Clinic or on a business trip. Shuttle bus to and from Mayo. A 4 minute drive if driving yourself.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. As you know, our unique suites are designed with you in mind. Offering amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry in exceptionally priced rooms has led us to be the premier extended stay option in the industry. And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive.