Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our family stayed here for 1 night. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds through the Holiday Inn Express reservation toll free number. Upon arrival we were told that there were no rooms available with 2 queen beds. Tara, the front desk person informed us that a King suite with a pull out couch was available. We had spent a long day on the road and took it. The room was very nice and the king bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was above average. We really like the walk-in shower. (No tub) We had to call down for sheets for the pull out couch and Tara delivered them within 5 minutes. The staff person at the breakfast (Tamera?) was hard working and friendly.
Even though we had a reservation mix up, I would stay here again. It is very new, has a great breakfast area, very comfortable beds and the staff treated us great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel's operations. We are glad that your experience exceeded your expectations and will share your notes with our staff.

Again, thank you for your business and we look forward to the opportunity to host you if your travels bring you to our area again.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 3 1/2 weeks in June. My original plan had been to stay there for two weeks using Holiday Inn points but switch to another hotel for the middle week as I was not allowed to use points during that time. Once I walked into my room I knew I didn't want to switch: both because I loved the room and because the walk to my treatment building was so convenient. The hotel is very nice: bed was so comfortable, location is great, so easy to access other parts of the town, and the staff was friendly. The room setup made a long stay pretty tolerable. There is a "sitting area" with a couch and a table and chairs, there were a couple of cabinets for keeping food and eating utensils, and fridge and microwave made it possible to fix meals frequently. The fitness room was passable (an elliptical would be awesome!), breakfast was pretty good, and the pool and business center were nice. The view of St. Mary's and the downtown area was beautiful in the evening when the sun was setting.

As always, a few things could be improved. I took others advice and asked for a room on the parking lot side of the building to avoid highway noise. I heard people above me when the room was occupied, but traffic noise was not a problem. The bathrooms definitely need more light! The elevator was often dirty with spills on the floor and greasy/dirty handprints on the walls. The front desk was empty much of the time and it was a little uncomfortable either standing there waiting for someone to appear or calling out to see if anyone was there to help. Rates here seem a little high so, while I would love to stay here again for return trips that are scheduled, price will probably not allow me to. I can stay at another hotel with rooms that have full kitchens for quite a bit less.

Special kudos to Melanie at the front desk and Susana, my housekeeper, for being so friendly and caring! They delivered flowers to my room, asked how I was doing, helped with anything I needed, and even came to my room to say goodbye one day they thought that I was leaving.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester, West Medical. Your comments are an important part of the success of our hotel operations. We will use your comments to continue our efforts to improve and excel in all areas of guest services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel was very convenient and right off the interstate. Nice new hotel. Only wish was that they would have used a little more insulation to reduce the interstate traffic noise. Ask for a room on the east side of the building if possible. Breakfast lady was very nice and friendly. Even recognized us the 2nd morning.

• Stayed: June 2013
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. Your feedback is most important to the success of our hotel's operations. My staff and I use this valuable resource to help us to improve our work and to share to the world our desire to exceed all of our guests expecations.

I am very happy that our staff (especailly our breakfast personnel) was able to identify you on your second morning. Making connections with our guests are a valuable asset to the success of this property.

Again, thank you for your wonderful comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was the first time we stayed at this hotel while I had my appointments at the Mayo Clinic. Very nicely appointed, wonderful bedding (especially liked pillow choices), helpful staff. I especially want to comment on the young lady at the front desk who worked the first shift. She bent over backwards to answer my questions and help whenever possible. I wish I could remember her name. She went so far as to help me pack the flowers my son sent to the hotel for Mother's Day for the trip home. She was wonderful! Because this is a new hotel, they have a few glitches to work on. There is no HBO as advertised; the lighting in the bathrooms is so dark you have to go in the hall to put on makeup and the rooms facing the highway are noisy at night. But all in all, the best hotel we've stayed at in Rochester. A plus is that they now have the shuttle to Mayo. We really needed that. We will definitely be back for my 3 month followup at Mayo.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side from highway traffic.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Feedback such as yours is essential to the success of our hotel. We believe that our product is one thing, but the true success is measured by the people we have in place to operate the hotel. You mentioned the helpful staff and the extraordinary effort one of our team members exhibited during your stay. It is this type of service that we like to say sets us apart from other lodging choices here in Rochester.

You also mentioned a couple of items in which we are working to improve such as the HBO and lighting in our guest bathrooms. I want you to know that we are working toward resolving these issues as quickly as possible with our vendors and lighting experts.

Again, thank you for your great remarks and my staff and I look forward to hosting you on your next visit to the Rochester area.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

We really enjoyed the room as our first experience at the great Mayo Clinic. If not for the freak 13.5 inches of snow in May it would have been great. Friendly people as you expect in the Midwest, and close to lots of amenities. Room was very nice, spacious, and super comfortable. We simply adored the beds and bedding. I was enthralled with the bathroom and plan on making upgrades just like it at home. Very nice breakfast area and good food selections. Very nice person helping as best she could with understandably very nervous travelers shell-shocked by the more than 1-3 inches of snow expected. Nice little mini food places across the parking lot. It was a little noisy between the rooms, which keeps it from getting 5 out of 5 ratings, but like staying by airports, you acclimate to the sound.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for writing a great review on Trip Advisor.Com. Your feedback is important to the success of our hotel's operations.

First let me thank you for noting that our staff is very friendly. It is our hope that all of our staff members exceed our guests expectations. Next, we also agree that the contemporary designs of our bathrooms are fabulous. We're glad you agree. Finally, we want to also thank you for commending us on our beds and bedding packages. They have been getting rave reviews lately.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel is fairly new...very nice and clean. Has a great hot tub, pool and workout area. Breakfast is very good...yummy cinnamon rolls. Employee's were very helpful. They have some underground parking (if your traveling during bad weather).

Room Tip: It's a new hotel, I'm sure all the rooms are very nice. We selected a king room and it was...

Dear Chooter87:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester - West Medical. Your feedback is a valuable tool in assessing the operations of our hotel.

I want to thank you especially for mentioning that our employees were helpful during your stay. I also want to thank you for the kudos regarding our hot cinnamin rolls we serve during our Express Start Breakfast. They are a very popular item on our breakfast bar.

Once again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you during your next visit to Rochester.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have been staying here 1-2 nights per week for about nine months now. I've stayed at many other hotels in Rochester and in my opinion, this one is my favorite. They have a heated underground parking garage, which is great during the winter months. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, wifi is fast, and the staff is very friendly. They have a shuttle to the Mayo Clinic and area hospitals now too. The location is convenient, right off Hwy 52 and 2nd Street, a short walk to St Mary's hospital, and quick access to the highway. Lots of restaurants nearby, within walking distance. Canadian Honker and City Market are my favorites nearby. Be careful when comparing prices with downtown hotels, as parking downtown is not free and the cost adds up.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Brian M:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Rochester - West Medical. Feedback such as your's is essential to the success of our hotel operations.

First let me thank you for the kudos about our hotel and our underground garage parking. It sure comes in handy for those sub-zero and rainy days. I would also have to agree that our hotel is convenient to St. Mary's Hospital and easy to access from Hwy. 52 and the Second Street S.W. Exit.

Next, you mentioned restaurants like Canadian Honker and City Market. Let me also recommend Vicotoria's, 301 on First and, Chesters - all located a short distance from the hotel.

Thank-you once again for your business and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you during your next visit.