“Excellent Hotel, wonderful staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Stayed here for a few days with my family for a hospital visit. Very clean and quiet hotel, probably one of the best I have stayed in. Seems like it was recently renovated and it shows. Front desk is very helpful and nice. Sometimes parking can be a challenge, it is obviously very popular. Breakfast is good. We were looking for restaurants that deliver dinner to the hotel, so we called the front desk. He offered and did come to our room with a pamphlet with all the useful information. High five!
No complaints here, would surely recommend and come back if we ever have to! Thanks for making our stay pleasant!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Mrn234:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. All of our guest comments help us to guide and direct our operations staff.

I am very pleased you found our hotel to be clean and quiet. I am also very pleased that our guest service associates were well prepared and prompt in their information regarding restuarants in our area. Rochester has a huge variety of restuarants to satisfy many different tastes. In fact, we take great pride in finding excellent and unique dining experiences for our guests.

Again, thank you for the opportunity to serve you and my staff and I look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We were cruising through Rochester for an appointment at Mayo so we needed a nice place to stay. We had previously stayed at the downtown hotel of the same chain a few years earlier. This time we elected to stay a bit further away in hopes of finding a better-maintained facility.

We made the right choice! Though it was quite a bit more expensive, the facility was in wonderful shape and parking was free.

The hotel is within a block of Mayo's St. Mary's Hospital. There are pedestrian friendly traffic crossing lights en route. The hotel is also within a couple miles of the Clinic, though taking a car downtown and fighting to get a parking place is a somewhat stressful experience. There are shuttles all over the place, but we didn't try it.

The room was wonderful - we had a mini-suite that included two queen beds and a sofa bed. The air conditioner was very quiet and included an on-the-wall thermostat. I prefer the wall thermostats because I can set a real-life temperature rather than cool, cold, or hot.

The beds were OK - typical of hotels of this price range. The room was very clean and not worn. The bath was nice, including a shower door enclosure instead of a curtain.

I appreciate the free breakfast. This one included a mixed-fruit selection as well as cereals, egg-like stuff, sausage, and the rubbery pancake machine. We had followed a group of male tradesmen through the line, so the breakfast area was in rough shape at that moment.

I'd seriously consider this Holiday Inn Express again on my next trip to Rochester!

Room Tip: Our room was right on the main street, but still pretty quiet. The hotel is at right angles to the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Robert M:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as your's are essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

My staff and I are very happy you decided to try our hotel when you were visiting the Mayo Clinic. You are correct in mentioning the advantage of having the remote controlled thermostats on the wall opposite the heat/cooling unit. It offers better climate control. I am also happy you appreciated the free breakfast.

Once again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you again whenever your travels bring you through our doors.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This was our second stay at this unique Holiday Inn Express. It was brand new the previous visit and had a few quirks they had to iron out. But this visit, four months later, left us greatly pleased. The staff is very friendly, especially, Melany, at the front desk. The hotel is exceptionally clean and well maintained. The breakfast was great--not just the same thing every morning. They change the meat and egg offerings so it's not boring if you're staying there for more than a few days. When we stayed the first time, we couldn't access HBO. They have fixed that, too, even better than we had anticipated. They offer the best selection of channels-especially HD-than any other hotel we visit. The have HBO AND Showtime, which is almost unheard of at most hotels. It is especially wonderful for those of us visiting the Mayo Clinic and are confined to our rooms for some of the time. Thank you for that! Also, their bedding is fantastic. The beds are very comfortable with a choice of pillow selection.There was one problem we encountered, however, which was rectified after a few tries. I reserved a 2 bed queen and specified away from elevators and vending. I placed this reservation 3 months in advance. However, when we got there on a Sunday afternoon, they gave me a room DIRECTLY ACROSS from the elevators. Because they weren't busy at that time on Sunday, I was able to get an acceptable room. If not for that, I would have given them a rating of 5. But, all in all, the hotel and staff were very helpful. I hope they continue to keep their guests as happy as we were!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lorraine B:

Thank you for your wonderful coments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Your feedback is important in helping to see how our operations are perceived by our guests.

I am extremely pleased you are a repeat customer and that we are making improvements so that we can exceed all of our guests expectations each time they stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Next, I want to thank you for mentioning Melany - our guest services manager. I agree, she is no doubt excellence in hospitality!

Again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We chose this property for it's close proximity to a wedding we were attending. We were pleasantly suprised by the decor and friendly welcome received at the front desk. Our King Room was very spacious and the bed was comfy. The breakfast was over and above what was expected and the employee maintaining it was friendly and cheerful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Dleigl:

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Feedback such as yours is essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

I am very happy our breakfast team member was excellent in maintaining our breakfast bar, was friendly and cheerful as well. All of our staff takes great pride in our facility and I believe it shows in the work they do each day.

Again, thank you for the kudos and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to serve you whenever your travels bring you through our doors.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

front desk personnel were fantastic, tried really hard to meet my needs. They appeared to be limited by upper management in obtaining an accurate TV channel guide, and if your rehabbing in a room TV is important. I could not believe that they did not have a useable, findable menu of a tv schedule on paper OR on there cable / or tv programmer for their rooms. Such a simple thing for such a big company to leave hanging in the air.

The staff were as frustrated as the customer. come on that's why you get the big bucks for the little stuff........ come on Holiday INN

Room Tip: Really don't have a good tip, just don't plan on a tv watching schedule
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Burlfish777:

Thank you for comments regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel's operations.

First let me apologize for the lack of a useable television guide. I too would have been troubled had I checked into a hotel and not have a tv guide to locate my favorite channels. The good news is that we have remedied this issue. All guests room guides and televisions are programmed accordlingly making all of our future guests experiences more enjoyable.

Again, thank you for your comments and my staff and I look forward to the opportunity to host you during your next visit to the Rochester area.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our family stayed here for 1 night. We reserved a room with 2 queen beds through the Holiday Inn Express reservation toll free number. Upon arrival we were told that there were no rooms available with 2 queen beds. Tara, the front desk person informed us that a King suite with a pull out couch was available. We had spent a long day on the road and took it. The room was very nice and the king bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was above average. We really like the walk-in shower. (No tub) We had to call down for sheets for the pull out couch and Tara delivered them within 5 minutes. The staff person at the breakfast (Tamera?) was hard working and friendly.
Even though we had a reservation mix up, I would stay here again. It is very new, has a great breakfast area, very comfortable beds and the staff treated us great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Tom A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester West-Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent lodging experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester West Medical. Comments such as yours are essential to the success of our hotel's operations. We are glad that your experience exceeded your expectations and will share your notes with our staff.

Again, thank you for your business and we look forward to the opportunity to host you if your travels bring you to our area again.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 3 1/2 weeks in June. My original plan had been to stay there for two weeks using Holiday Inn points but switch to another hotel for the middle week as I was not allowed to use points during that time. Once I walked into my room I knew I didn't want to switch: both because I loved the room and because the walk to my treatment building was so convenient. The hotel is very nice: bed was so comfortable, location is great, so easy to access other parts of the town, and the staff was friendly. The room setup made a long stay pretty tolerable. There is a "sitting area" with a couch and a table and chairs, there were a couple of cabinets for keeping food and eating utensils, and fridge and microwave made it possible to fix meals frequently. The fitness room was passable (an elliptical would be awesome!), breakfast was pretty good, and the pool and business center were nice. The view of St. Mary's and the downtown area was beautiful in the evening when the sun was setting.

As always, a few things could be improved. I took others advice and asked for a room on the parking lot side of the building to avoid highway noise. I heard people above me when the room was occupied, but traffic noise was not a problem. The bathrooms definitely need more light! The elevator was often dirty with spills on the floor and greasy/dirty handprints on the walls. The front desk was empty much of the time and it was a little uncomfortable either standing there waiting for someone to appear or calling out to see if anyone was there to help. Rates here seem a little high so, while I would love to stay here again for return trips that are scheduled, price will probably not allow me to. I can stay at another hotel with rooms that have full kitchens for quite a bit less.

Special kudos to Melanie at the front desk and Susana, my housekeeper, for being so friendly and caring! They delivered flowers to my room, asked how I was doing, helped with anything I needed, and even came to my room to say goodbye one day they thought that I was leaving.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to our Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rochester, West Medical. Your comments are an important part of the success of our hotel operations. We will use your comments to continue our efforts to improve and excel in all areas of guest services.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to hosting you in the future.