“Mayo Clinic Trip”

Ranked #4 of 5 Rochester B&B and Inns
Blanco, Texas
“Mayo Clinic Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed on two different occasions in the same room. The bathroom exhaust fan was powerful enough to keep the humidity down during a hot shower. There was plenty of hot water. The beds were comfortable and the room held a good temperature. The appliances functioned properly. There is ample parking. The front desk was very helpful.

The Inn is served by a free shuttle to various Mayo facilities every half hour during the day. This was extremely important for our purposes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bruce H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Like many visitors, I am in town to visit the Mayo Clinic for some health problems including bad allergies. Other than my allergies reacting to the dust in the room, I was very pleased with the cleanliness. When I asked them about vacuuming and dusting the place, the lady at the front desk and the housekeeper I happened to run into were very nice about it, offering to do it daily. Well, the dust must have settled, because my allergies calmed down so I did not need vacuuming anymore. I now had no complaints about the hotel and was pleased with my choice. Then I met the weekend housekeeper, Dennis. Steer clear of this person if at all possible. Because it rained that Saturday, I elected to stay in and put up a Do Not Disturb sign. Well Dennis came knocking on my door, showed me his notes that said "Vacuum daily" and not in a friendly way. I thanked him but told him it was no longer necessary. to which he replied: "Then stop leaving stupid notes." It is just one person, but it now makes me leery about their screening process if a person as antisocial as this Dennis is allowed to work here. This hotel is well worth the money and all the employees I've encountered have been very nice except for that one employee. It'd be 5 stars otherwise.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ed W
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here for a month as a visiting medical student to the Mayo Clinic. If you are accepted to an away rotation you need to bring the letter with you when you check in to receive the discounted rate. There is ample free parking in an unsecured lot, and I didn't really worry about my car while it was back there. The hotel is near Highway 52 and there was never any traffic in Rochester, so I could easily go shopping at the Apache Mall or buy things at Walmart or Best Buy up the road. Going straight north on 11th Avenue would get you to a nice grocery store (Hy-Vee). I would definitely recommend having a car if you stay in Rochester; I did not try the public transportation however.

There are multiple buildings; I stayed in one of them on the top floor in a one bedroom apartment, which had a decent-sized living room with sofa and desk; a microwave, a full-size refrigerator and freezer and small table in the kitchenette; and a bedroom with attached bathroom. The air conditioning was nice and cold. The carpet was old and worn looking, but reasonably clean. There were large closets (nice to hang suits up in) and dressers to put your stuff.

My room lacked a television set, even though there was a stand for one and a card with the channel selection on it. I told the desk about this when I checked in, and reminded them a few times, but it took them over a week to give me a replacement (checked in on Sunday, didn't get a new TV until the following Tuesday). I didn't have a lot of time to watch TV but it was nice to finally get one.

The wireless internet was extremely slow. The Speedtest showed 0.10 Mb/s up and down ( http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2836896625 ) and it was basically unusable for the month. I resorted to using the 4G connection on my phone as my main internet service. I did use my laptop for email and such, but if I ever needed to get any serious work done I just went to the Mayo library.

For the student rate, you receive new towels every day but they only change the sheets once a week. One morning I woke up at 5AM to shower and was greeted by muddy brown-red water coming out of the showerhead. It took a few minutes for it to clear up. I am still not sure what happened, maybe they were doing maintenance on the pipes. It did not happen again during my stay.

The best part of the hotel is its location, kiddie-corner to St. Mary's hospital (about 2-3 minute walk), where you can catch the employee bus to get to the Gonda or Mayo buildings. Otherwise, it is about a 12-15 minute walk to the Mayo building down 2nd Street.

All in all, it was by far the most affordable hotel available, but probably more expensive than renting a room from someone for a month. It certainly had its drawbacks but the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the top floor to decrease noise
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Andrew N
Weyerhaeuser, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I needed a place to stay before taking my boards exams in Rochester. The room was smallish but neat and clean. Air conditioning worked great as well. The gentleman at the front desk was very polite and helpful. I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I am not sure what the other rooms are like..mine was a queen with a comfy bed and adequate space to...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo