“They Sure Don't Make Them Like This Anymore”
Review of Brentwood on 2nd

Ranked #44 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Kansas City, Missouri
“They Sure Don't Make Them Like This Anymore”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have traveled all my life for business and all over the world on vacations, but this is a one of a kind hotel! Friendly staff, Great restaurant, Unique little bar, and a truly care free stay.

This was my first and hopefully only trip to Rochester Minnesota. I was scheduled for an operation at St. Marys and had several appointments at the Mayo Clinic downtown. I found the Brentwood on 2nd online. The person who took my reservation was great, they took the time to answer all my questions and help me understand a little more about where my appointments would be. St. Marys is just across the street and I took the free shuttle to my appointments downtown.

The room was reasonably sized with all the creature comforts you could need right in the hotel. Very clean, nice and modern, and the prices were just about the lowest I saw online in the area.

Every time we had time to waste the front desk was able to help us find something to do. One of the front desk clerks (Ron??? Rob???) was great!! He knew what to do in town, where to eat, and was very knowledgeable of local history and history of the clinic. We weren't just given directions, he helped us find things that we would like, was able to tell us about them from personal experience, then gave us printed directions.

Like I said I don't plan to come back to Rochester, but I know where I will always stay if I need to.

Room Tip: They were building something across the street so it was a little noisy in the room. Nothing the hot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Don K
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hello Don;

Thank you so very much for writing such a shining review of our hotel!
It's a pleasure to hear that on your first, (and hopefully only) trip to Rochester, MN, you chose Brentwood on 2nd for your accommodations.
I feel very fortunate to have the helpful, friendly staff that I do. We truly are committed to making every Guest's stay an enjoyable one. We understand that some Guests will have "down time" between appointments so we try to keep well informed of various local interests so we can assist Guests in finding activities they might enjoy.
Charlie's Eatery & Pub is a great convenience for our Guests and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the cozy bar as well.

Should you ever need to return to Rochester, MN, the Brentwood on 2nd would be pleased to welcome you back!

Warm Regards,

Amy R. Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Moneta, Virginia
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Here to visit relative who is at Mayo hospital. Very clean rooms, pleasant staff, reasonable rates, with a nice restaurant and even a small bar. Not fancy, very basic, but all you need when you may have to find someplace to stay during an unpleasant time.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Susan36384
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Susan;

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review of the Brentwood on 2nd! It's good to hear you found our location so convenient and that your stay was pleasant considering your need to be in Rochester, MN. We get lots of compliments on our restaurant, Charlie's Eatery & Pub. It's nice for visitors to have an in-house place to relax and unwind.
I'm very fortunate to have exceptionally friendly staff who really care about each Guest and do their very best to ensure each room is thoroughly clean and comfortable.
Should you need to visit Rochester again, please be our Guest at the Brentwood on 2nd. We'd be pleased to see you again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My family and I were here for surgery at St. Mary's. This hotel is so convenient, the staff so friendly and the rooms are clean. The front desk employee even made me coffee at 3:30 am because I asked. Great customer service. Would definitely stay at the Brentwood again!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Robyn C
Hello Robyn;

Thank you for taking a moment to write such a very flattering review of the Brentwood on 2nd. The Staff and I take great pride in our hotel and truly want each and every Guest to feel welcome and comfortable in a very clean and lovely room while they are staying with us. We understand that the majority of our Guests are, like you, here for medical purposes and not a vacation so we do our very best to ensure each Guest is comfortable. I'm so fortunate to have such a caring, friendly staff and that they made you feel "at home."
The Brentwood on 2nd definitely has an excellent location to St. Mary's Hospital. Visitors can't get any closer without actually being admitted! It makes it very convenient for family who have loved one's in the hospital.
Should you ever need to return to Rochester, MN, the Brentwood on 2nd would be more than happy to be your "Home Away From Home" again.

Minnesota
Reviewed 29 October 2013

At the last minute we had to change our room from Brentwood Inn to Brentwood on 2nd because of location to St Mary's. Rob was excellent at handling our original reservation and also at helping me to change rooms after the first night. Can't remember the name of the gentlemen who checked me out but also wonderful to deal with. Really appreciated the coupon each day for Charlie's. Medical appointments can get quite expensive and the coupon helped ease our expenses. As of now, it looks like we won't have to come south again, but if we do have to come to St Mary's this is where I'll lay my head. (Told you I'd be on Tripadvisor :-) )
Judy

Room Tip: I always ask for top floor, but I don't think it matters here. Rob told me the walls and floors...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank minntac
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Hello!

Thank you very much for writing such a shining review of the Brentwood on 2nd! It's always good for me to hear that my Staff is helpful and committed to making every Guest's stay at our hotel a comfortable and convenient one! Thank you especially for acknowledging Rob who is our Front Desk Manager. I'm very fortunate to have a Team that truly cares about every Guest.
Although you don't plan on returning to Rochester/St. Mary's, (and I certainly hope that's the case!), I appreciate your intentions to stay with us again should you have to be in the area.

Take care and Stay Well!

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 16 October 2013

When a family member had medical appointments far from home at the Mayo Clinic and then surgery at St. Mary's Hospital, we scoured the internet looking for convenient and inexpensive places to stay. With four of us traveling, we realized the benefit of staying close to the hospital, within walking distance, and narrowed our search to several hotels. Brentwood on 2nd was exactly across the street from the front entrance of St. Mary's Hospital and our lodging location could not have been more convenient. Our first day we drove to the downtown Mayo Clinic for appointments; the next day (having more time) we walked downtown (an easy mile or so walk each way). The third day we simply walked across the street to the hospital at 5:30 am for surgery check in. It should be noted that a shuttle comes by the hotel at specified times to take patients and their families to the farther Mayo location (a mile away), but we never took the shuttle. Parking at Brentwood on 2nd was free and very convenient for our needs. Using the $5 per room coupon for the restaurant downstairs, we ate there daily, sometimes just having breakfast, and other times, every meal. The food was good and once again, there is a lot to be said for convenience when traveling far from home for a family member's surgery. The lobby of the hotel was smaller but decorated very nicely. The front desk clerks varied...some knew information about the surrounding area and some were fairly clueless but pleasant, nonetheless. The rooms were clean, not large, but adequate for our needs. Overall, we were very pleased with our choice of lodging and our family member having had successful surgery, we hope never to have to travel to the Mayo Clinic again; however, if we do, we will be staying at Brentwood on 2nd.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Idaho208
Amy R, General Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hello;

Thank you for taking the time to write such a shining review of the Brentwood on 2nd. I'm very happy to hear that our location was convenient for your family and that you found such great value in staying with us.
Our shuttle was a new addition in September and has been very helpful to Guests who have appointments downtown. Obviously this will be especially true in the upcoming winter. We truly strive to make sure visitors from out town have everything they need at their fingertips when they stay with us.
Also good to hear was that you enjoyed and took advantage of the coupon for Charlie's Eatery & Pub. It's so nice to have two on-site restaurants.
Our Front Desk staff is currently going through an extensive Tourism Ambassador program through the City of Rochester. As each staff member attends the training, they will gain a great deal of knowledge about Rochester history, things to do in Rochester and the surrounding areas. I attended the training myself and found it very beneficial! I believe the knowledge gained by our staff will be a great asset to our Guests in their "down time."
As you said, we hope you don't have to come back to St. Mary's or Mayo Clinic, but if you and your family do return, we would be pleased to have you as our Guests again.

General Manger
Midwest
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I've stayed at some of the chain properties in Rochester for Mayo visits and usually use Priceline to get a cheaper rate. I had to come in for one night for a conference, and a lot of the hotels were full. Brentwood on 2nd had a reasonable rate (less than I ever paid on previous visits - why didn't I stay here before?!). Previous reviews seemed pretty accurate. Older building with recent renovation. My room with two queen beds was pleasant, the bed was comfy, and it had everything I needed for my short stay. It's right across the street from St. Mary's if that's helpful to you, and parking is free in the hotel lot. They let me keep my car there later in the day after I checked out while I was at the Civic Center for my conference. Few dings - wifi didn't work; when I called before coming to see if the room had a hair dryer so I hopefully didn't have to bring one, the girl who answered had no clue (really?!); person at front desk when I checked in also had no clue if they offered government rates. Overall though I was really pleased. They also give you a $5 voucher to use in their restaurant, which I didn't just because of the short time I was there. I'd consider staying here again on future visits since the price is reasonable and the place is just as comfortable for me as the pricier chains I've stayed at near St. Mary's or between there and the main Mayo buildings. Thumbs up!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Amy R, Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Hello Zoe;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Brentwood on 2nd for TripAdvisor! You are clearly a very busy and savvy traveler and your feedback is greatly appreciated.
I am so happy you discovered the Brentwood on 2nd and that you found it as comfortable, clean and convenient as the major chain hotels in the area. I also appreciate hearing that you found value in staying with us not only because of our excellent rate, but because of the free parking and restaurant coupon.
We are diligently working to improve the wifi throughout the property. My apologies for the service being troublesome for you. For future reference, and so you can inform others, the Brentwood on 2nd does offer government rates with a valid Government ID.
Again, thank you for the "Thumbs Up!" I hope you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Rochester!

Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We made a last minute trip to Rochester to visit a relative in St Mary's Hospital. The convenient location was the primary booking factor. The hotel is literally across the street from the hospital. This is an older building that has recently undergone a remodeling. The room was a little on the small side, but everything was neat and clean. It was also quiet. The rate was very reasonable and the staff was courteous and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Amy R, Manager at Brentwood on 2nd, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Hello;

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of the Brentwood on 2nd! I am so pleased you found our location convenient for you. You truly can't stay any closer to St. Mary's Hospital than our hotel. It's also nice to hear that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our Staff friendly and helpful. We take great pride in making each Guest feel welcome, comfortable and appreciated.
Should you ever need to come back to the Rochester area, I hope you will stay with us at the Brentwood on 2nd!