“Restful Place, Difficult Time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area

Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Crookston
“Restful Place, Difficult Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

First of all let me say, we were not there for pleasure, we were there for medical reasons. This hotel is connected to the subway tunnel, that connects to the Mayo Clinic buildings, this was very convenient, did not have to deal with outside weather. We stayed in a one bedroom unit. It had a bedroom, bathroom, living room area and small kitchen area. The kitchen had a small table, a sink, a refrigerator with freezer, micro wave, two burner range and a dishwasher. The cooking supplies were limited, but there were dishes, glasses and silverware for four. The kitchen supplies and appliances were clean, which is not always the case with food areas. We appreciated the fact that we could put out the do not disturb sign and they would not bother you. With a number of early morning appointments, we would return for rest time during the day. We saw the housekeeping young lady in the hall and gave her our used towels and picked up clean ones. She supplied us with whatever we needed without interrupting our needed rest time.

They serve a hot breakfast every morning, which was very nice with delicious choices! A few mornings my husband had early morning tests, which he needed to fast for, we would dish up our breakfast, put it in our refrigerator and heat in our micro wave when we returned. Very covenant. They provide a hot evening meal two nights a week, Monday and Tuesday, which we found delicious and convenient. Soda and coffee is available in the lobby area all day. Fruit was also available for a snack.

Shuttle transportation to the hospitals and airport are also available from this hotel. They have indoor vehicle parking also available, at an extra charge, which we used.

We found all staff friendly and helpful! During a difficult time this hotel location and offerings were very helpful!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Connie E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ivy, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We had a 7 day stay in Rochester and the Marriott Residence was perfect for us. It is connected by underground walkway to the Mayo Clinic - VERY handy when it is cold, rainy or snowing! The staff was friendly and helpful. They even went to the grocery store and filled our grocery list and stocked the en suite refrigerator!! The room was spacious, a separate bed room, tv, sound insulated with connecting bath. The main room had a sofa bed, tv, small but adequate kitchenette. Clean and modern. No road noise.
The complimentary breakfast was nice and varied. Unfortunately, there is no restaurant but an adjacent hotel along the "subway" had both a restaurant and coffee shop. Area restaurants deliver to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank pttuva
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The rooms are comfortable and very clean, but I'm sure that's true of a good many hotels in Rochester. What sets the Residence Inn apart is incredible customer service. Granted, it is the only hotel my wife and I have (twice) stayed at while in Rochester, so I have no basis for comparison, other hotels could only hope to match to service we received while there. Extremely helpful and friendly staff. I could spend several paragraphs recounting all the positive encounters we had, but the last one sums it up: I was on the verge of missing my flight home, and had called all three taxi services I had numbers for trying to get a ride to the airport. No one could pick me up in time. In a panic, I asked the front desk manager to help me call any other services that might could get me there on time, but she struck out as well. Finally, she just looked at me and said, "I'll take you myself." I was still trying to get over the shock when she pulled her vehicle around to the front of the hotel. This lady went above and beyond the call of duty and was late getting home to her family that night, all to take of care of her guests. My poor planning should not have been her problem to deal with, but she made it her problem and I made my flight. Good service meets a customer's expectations, but stellar service takes a customer's reasonable expectations and blows them out of the water by delivering on a level totally unimagined. If you are in Rochester, stay at the Residence Inn.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Corey S
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very convenient clean and comfortable. The staff was always there, they were friendly and helpful. Good place to stay while at the Mayo Clinic and it is on the "Subway", or the underground walkway to the clinic so you don't have to brave the weather.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bayport, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for business for 5 nights in May 2014. The hotel doesn't look like much from the street, but my room was great. There was a kitchenette, a living area, a bed area, a dressing area and a bathroom. A large flat screen tv swivels to watch it from both the living area and the bed. The drawbacks for this hotel were: very small gym, no pool, outdoor parking was on the next block, no restaurant in the hotel. However, being there for business, I wasn't looking for a few of those things (although a larger fitness room would be nice), and they offer a very nice buffet breakfast. It is a block from the Mayo Clinic and there are lots of restaurants and shops in walking distance. If you a looking for a great, comfortable room, this is the way to go. I am planning on staying there agin for my next trip in June.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Karen C
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Definitely not up to Marriott standards. The only advantage to staying here was the convenience for Mayo clinic patients to walk in the underground tunnel to and from the hospital.

Housekeeping failed to notice dusty tables, lamps and shelves for an entire week. Doors to the room and bathroom were dirty with fingerprints and drops dried of who-knows-what on them. Chipped tub, bathroom tiles had dust along the tops, floor had two dried footprints that were never wiped clean until I did it myself after a week; the heater vent was filled with dust and looked creepy. Kitchen floor was sticky the entire time we were there. A big nasty stain on the rug in front of the door greeted us. Likewise a stain on the chair required us to turn over the seat cushion. Ugh.

The laundry room was dirty, the machines were old and dirty and the dryers were too. The same messy pool of liquid detergent was still there after a week on one of the machines.

Front desk help was non-existent, and staff did not look clean and neat. The breakfast area was cramped, crowded and decidedly unclean. No one wiped the surfaces or cleaned up spills. The waffle iron was dirty with baked on residue. Carpeting outside elevators has holes in it and is dirty.

$11/day to park outside is a rip-off. I saw a woman get on the elevator with a dog on a leash in a hotel catering to very ill people. The elevator had the same dried stains on the floor when we checked out that had been there the week before when we checked in.

If you do not need the tunnel we suggest you stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites, North location for a sparkling clean, friendly hotel with a free shuttle to and from the clinic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Karen K
Adam K, General Manager at Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,
I am very disappointed to here your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Our staff works very hard to try and make our guests feel comfortable while visiting the clinic. I have reviewed all the items on your list and have addressed each concern. Please know that we work very hard to provide a clean and comfortable place for our guests to stay. Once again I apologize for your experience.

Geneseo, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We ended up at this hotel in March of 2011 when another hotel had lost our reservations; it was a blessing in disguise. We have traveled to Mayo Clinic many times since then and ALWAYS stay at the Residence Inn Rochester Mayo Clinic Area. It is out of the way of the hustle and bustle of the clinic yet close enough to quickly walk via the subway tunnel....very easy access to anything downtown without feeling like you are right down town. The hotel is clean and comfortable with most of the comforts of home. It is wonderful to have a place to feel relaxed and at ease during a times that can be medically stressful. The staff is wonderfully courteous and accommodating and the breakfasts served each morning are restaurant-worthy. We wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: No fault of the hotel itself, during certain times of the year (March/April), there are accumulating...