“No complaints”

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Wisconsin, USA
“No complaints”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband had to have a surgical procedure at the Mayo Clinic. I chose Kahler Inn and Suites because I knew it was right across the street from the hospital. I didn't have to rely on shuttles or driving in a strange city and trying to find a place to park every day which is not easy in this area. There are two big ramps, but fill up quickly. The room was very clean, smelled good and was extremely quiet for a hotel.. We were there for three nights. I was very pleased and will go back to the same place in December when we have to be in Rochester again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Adam K, General Manager at Kahler Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,
I am very happy to hear the Kahler Inn & Suites accommodated your needs while in Rochester. We pride ourselves on having a clean and comfortable place to stay. We look forward to serving you again in December.
Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
New England
Reviewed 11 October 2013

When my husband needed to visit the Mayo Clinic, I chose the Kahler Inn and Suites. Little did I know that it was the perfect location for all the appointments to the Mayo. It is also connected via the "subway" (underground pedestrian walkway) to the Mayo Clinic, which was a real asset. The staff were great and the room was what we were looking for, clean, bright and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you had a good experience while staying at the Kahler Inn & Suites. This time of year the pedestrian subway is very nice to avoid the cold weather. Thanks again for your comments.
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Kahler Inn and Suites in June, 2013. It was an awesome experience. The motel was excellent. The service and personnel were commendable. Everyone was so helpful. The restaurant and lounge were being remodeled, but had excellent food and was a nice place to relax over a beverage. The proximity to the medical facilities through the tunnel system is awesome. We were there during the street fair and had a wonderful experience there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy B
Adam K, General Manager at Kahler Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Kathy,
Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor. I am very happy you had a pleasant experience at the Kahler Inn & Suites. Our staff works very hard to provide a clean and comfortable place for our guests to stay. We work every day to create a caring and helpful culture for everyone that walks through our doors. Thanks again for commenting and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were in Rochester for medical care at the Mayo Clinic and stayed for five nights. The Kahler Inn and Suites was the perfect place for us, right across the street from most of our appointments, and only a mile from St. Mary's Hospital. The Kahler runs a courtesy shuttle to St. Mary's (and a few other places) so we never needed a car. As our appointments were spread out at different times of day over five days, it was nice to be able to return to the room so easily.

The Kahler Inn and Suites is clean with very comfortable beds and their staff is helpful and friendly. We had to change our departure date several times and they were very accommodating. My sister had a mini-suite, and I had an economy room right across from her, which was convenient.

The only negative is the breakfast that comes with the rooms and it is mostly due to the presentation, but also partially the quality of the items. It just doesn't fit the quality of the rest of the hotel (the fresh fruit looked old and over-ripe, they were out of 2% milk one morning for awhile, they only had grape jelly and no other flavors, the warm food was pretty unappetizing, and the food area was full of crumbs, etc.). They also use only styrofoam plates, bowls, and coffee cups. This doesn't seem very environmentally friendly (yet, in the rooms they encourage guests to not change their sheets every day to help the environment!). The coffee is also tasteless, which I think is on purpose, to encourage guests to go buy a cup at the Caribou Coffee outlet in the lobby. On one day (but not every day), I saw coupons for breakfast for their on-site restaurant, but we had to find them, they didn't give them to us at check-in.

Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend it to friends. The breakfast is a small part of the reason to stay or not stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing the Kahler Inn & Suites. I appreciate you mentioning our flexibility in dealing with ever changing clinic appointments. We work very hard to be accommodating even the most difficult schedule changes. I thank you for all your comments regarding the property and assure you that we will continue to improve on our hospitality to our guests..

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Kahler is now a part of Marriott. The restaurant has been redone and has a much better menu and service. In the past it was a restaurant of last resort now it is pleasant and a good hotel place to eat. The hotel is across the street from Mayo and Methodist Hospital . It is an older hotel and provides a variety of room choices. The included breakfast is marginal with mostly carbs. There seems to be a hit or miss offering of 1 hot item. Monday-Thursday.

The lobby is small however guests can use the second floor gameroom/pool area. The staff is helpful and willing to adjust reservations due to changing Mayo requirements.

We have found the pricing good, the location for Mayo excellent, We sometimes have longer stays and opt for a room with a frig, microwave and a modest supply of dishes.

The connecting subway is great when the weather is bad.

Room Tip: Avid the rooms on the second floor that have a patio open to the pool area unless you have kids who...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank larry h
Adam K, General Manager at Kahler Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind remarks about our hotel. I am very pleased you mentioned our brand new restaurant Crossings Bistro and Bar. We are very proud of our new restaurant and hope that all our hotel guests can enjoy the great menu. More importantly I appreciate your comments about the helpful staff. We all work very hard to serve our guests with all of our heart. Hope you can stay with us again and thanks again for going out of your way to make some positive comments on our hotel.
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Rooms at KI&S are convenient for visitors to the Mayo Clinic and the hotel provides a shuttle for appointments at the St. Mary's campus. The breakfast room is pleasant for sitting and reading the complimentary morning paper. The bed was comfortable, the room, though small, was clean and the surroundings were quiet.

The breakfast is a carb-lover's dream or in my case, nightmare. They did include a tub of rubbery-hard-boiled eggs next to the toaster oven, but other than that you have a choice of carbs, carbs or carbs. The swimming pool is small and in need of repairs. It ranges in depth from 3' to 3'4" -- worked okay for a walking workout, but not really a pool for swimming. The towel stand had one towel for the 7 of us in the pool. The room has a sign making the point that the room towels are not to be taken to the pool. I recommend that you take a towel with you if you want one when you get out of the pool.

The people working at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. They contributed to a comfortable stay.

I would recommend this hotel for its convenience to Mayo and clean, comfortable rooms. However, it is pricey compared to other hotels in Rochester with larger rooms, greater variety for breakfast and lower rates. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is planning on using the swimming pool or who would like something other than danish or bagels for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 55anonymous55
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your attention to detail regarding the location and amenities we provide. Thank you for mentioning our free shuttle as well as our free continental breakfast. I hope that next time you are in Rochester, MN you choose to stay at the Kahler Inn & Suites.
Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

As I'm sitting here sipping my coffee from caribou downstairs, I had to comment. The coffee in the rooms is absolutely horrid. It comes in these little packets with tea-bag type filters. I made the first pot, only to note that I could see through to the bottom of the cup (always a bad sign). After one cup of this hot water, I went downstairs for coffee. Well, in this hotel that charges $100/night+, there is not coffee in the lobby. I was informed that since Caribou is basically in their lobby (but didn't open until 5:00), they don't provide coffee.
Also, the pool isn't worth getting wet (small) and there was a spider in the bathroom. Overall, the room fixtures and design are dated. Small dinette table with two chairs, but no comfy chair or sofa.

• Stayed August 2013
Adam K, General Manager at Kahler Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Don,
Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the Kahler Inn & Suites. I apologize you did not enjoy the in room coffee that we provide to our guests. I am happy you were able to find what you needed at Caribou located in the lobby of the hotel. I wish your visit to the Kahler Inn & Suites would have been more satisfying. Thanks again for you post.