“Try to go elsewhere”

Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Okemos, Michigan
“Try to go elsewhere”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Kahler Inn and Suites is very handy to Mayo Clinic and downtown and it has restaurants nearby. The rooms are large and clean. It looks less like a nursing home than the Kahler Hotel which is nearby but the common areas are not nice at all. The clerk at check in was not friendly and clearly held my reservation is low esteem because of me having gotten it through Expedia. She first told us check in was not until 3 when I arrived at 2:30 and did not greet me otherwise. She then said our room was ready and went through a monotone lists of the many rules of the Kahler Inn and Suites concluding with a disdainful statement about having to pay for parking because of having booked through Expedia. The pool and hot tub were ugly and looked as if they had a medical purpose in a previous life. There was rust and trash under the heating elements clearly visible from the hot tub. Both hot tub and pool were very shallow. The towels at the pool were tiny and thin. There is nothing at all enjoyable about this facility. Breakfast is included and served near the pool in a small room. It is a very ugly, dark and dank room with unappetizing looking food. Of course the price is not inexpensive. I am sure there is a much better choice in this price range. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lawflake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were told by Mayo Clinic to reserve 5 to 7 days so we got a reservation for seven days at this hotel. The diagnosis only took 2 days. When we asked the hotel management if they could refund any of the $750 of un-used nights they said that they could not because we booked not through them. I then called the booking agent through the hotel's request and they sent me emails telling me that they talked with Eva at the hotel and she had charged for the entire stay so evidently they lied to us and if you look they have posted they are the hotel with a heart! We will never stay at the Kahler Inn and Suites Hotel again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Bill S
Adam K, General Manager at Kahler Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I am very disappointed with the way you were treated regarding your reservation at the Kahler Inn & Suites. Unfortunately I have heard this story too many times. When a reservation is made with a 3rd party (Expedia, hotels.com, etc) these reservations are made as non-cancelable reservations. Since it is a non-cancelable reservation we are unable to refund due to the agreement with the 3rd party reservationist. I apologize this happened to you and your family and I would suggest next time making the reservation directly with the hotel you are booking.
madison, wis
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had two suites while attending Mayo Clinic graduation ceremonies. Clean, comfortable, and close to the action. Will return here every time. This was our family's second stay and we were happy with all the details of the visit.

Room Tip: The suites were really nice as we had to travel with older adults who really could spread out and re...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Belmont, Michigan
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Though the hotel itself is very average, and the rooms are a bit dated, when I requested an air purifier due to allergies, I was thrilled that they very quickly had a Pure Room (pureathome.com) purifier in my room by the time I arrived! For someone who has allergies, this was worth every penny spent on the hotel. I immediately reserved a room for my follow-up visit to Mayo!

Room Tip: I was told to request a room that was higher up in the hotel - very good advice, and I would recomme...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not a luxury hotel by any means but it serves the purpose when your going to Mayo. You can't get any closer and you can walk through the subway if it's January. Lobby is very small and congested. Main restaurant is just ok. I did appreciate the free breakfast on the 2nd floor although it opened about 10 minutes late the day I was leaving. It was described as "continental" but included scrambled eggs and biscuits with gravy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Eden Prairie
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not a bad hotel for a quick two night overnight for a baseball tournament. Staff and amenities were as expected for location and rate. Pool is a bit small, but anything is going to look small with 30 kids jumping over each other. All in all a good trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent room, very convenient location. Parking information a bit sparse, try the north garage area first and if it is full then try the south underground garage before going to the "Graham" parking garage on the north. Had to ask to have the bed linens changed.
Forget the "fresh" food place at the Kahler...there are much better places to eat. Try the dining area in the basement of the Mayo Clinic building before the dining area in the hospital building.

Room Tip: Rooms to west, upper floors have best view, but if you are there for treatment you may not really ca...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends