“Has some pros and cons--mostly pros”

Kahler Inn and Suites
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Just finishing up an extended stay at the Kahler Inn & Suites while my wife received therapy at Mayo. We stayed in the mini-suite w/ 2 queens and it was nice to have a little extra room.

First of all, this place gets used. Even though it's mostly clean, there's just a lot of people using this place for their time at Mayo, and it's probably like that all year. So it's difficult to get in and renovate when the place is usually full. So, it's not a brand new place but our room is clean.

Pros:

*Convenience: Easy access to the subway walkway that connects you to Mayo. It would take us 5 minutes from hotel to where we needed to be at Mayo. Pretty nice. Would be a huge plus when the weather is bad. Also, the Jimmy Johns and Caribou that are attached to the lobby are handy options.

*Service: We've had a great experience in this area. Really friendly and helpful housekeeping service as well as service from the front desk as well.

*Amenities: Somewhere in between a pro and con....a "pron"?? They have a continental breakfast...nothing special but we've taken advantage of it. Pool and hotub...ok. Wireless internet...free but slow. Get the point? It has a lot of the basics for free, but it's not top notch in these areas.

Cons:

*Elevator: Luckily for everyone who stays here after August 2010, you will not have to deal with this. They are replacing all their elevators w/ fast ones. Because the elevators are the worst I have ever experienced. My wife and I are on the 7th floor and we almost always take the stairs. Kudos to Kahler for making the investment to fix this major problem.

*Parking: At least it's free. That's about the only good thing to say about it. You have to see it to believe it. Truly the worst parking garage I've ever used. Very low ceilings and several "blind" areas that are only wide enough for one car. If two cars met in one of these areas, one would have to back up because there's no room. This one probably can't be fixed so guests will have this terror to deal with for years to come. ***If you have the option, do not bring a large SUV or truck. It would be a nightmare.

Overall, the convenience makes this hotel worth it--at a price that's not too bad. Great service as well. I would stay here again if needed, but hopefully it's our last trip to Mayo!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank HawkGuy

Reviewed 6 March 2010

This was my first visit to Rochester Minnesota, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the personnel and accommodations at the Kahler Inn and Suites. My wife and I were there for a visit to the Mayo Clinic, so the reason for the trip was somewhat stressful. The receptionist at the main desk was very helpful and courteous, and provided us our room, even though we were checking in at 1pm, instead of 3pm. Our room was very nice, a somewhat older décor, but clean and very comfortable. Our daily service person was Cheryl, and she did a great job. We have stayed at hotels where we have requested our room be serviced say in the morning, and have come back to find it not taken care of. This was not the case at the Kahler, as they have a tag that you place on the door, requesting service. Each day the room was serviced by the time we returned. I was very pleased with the service, accommodations and certainly the location to Mayo is a big benefit. The underground walkways to Mayo and the immediately surrounding buildings is impressive, and as this was February, the temperature was to 6 degrees Fahrenheit, on some days. I would highly recommend the Kahler Inn and Suites to folks staying in Rochester MN, and especially if you have business at the Mayo Clinics.

1  Thank Vobung
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Stayed in a mini-suite. Worked well for my father, brother and myself. Liked the layout and it worked well to have the bath/toilet separate from the sink. Also loved having Caribou coffee right off the lobby, as well as a Jimmy Johns sub shop and the parking. All things were close and convenient and truly eliminated stress of where to stay and how to get to the Mayo clinic. An easy corridor at the 'Subway' level provided simple access to the Mayo clinic. They were also gracious to allow us to keep our car in parking until our appt was done even after checking out that same day.

Already recommended it to family for future stays. There's no doubt this is where we'll all be staying for future May clinic visits. Also would be great for Civic Center events as it's in a great location in Rochester.

Reviewed 1 March 2010

The inn is clean, very helpful service, indoor parking, from room to Mayo's just a few minutes walk. Nice breakfast in the mornings. Would not stay anywhere else.

1  Thank yogibearillinois
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed here prior to and after surgery at Mayo. The rooms were clean and roomy. It was quiet which was great because of needing rest after surgery. It is not a new hotel by any means but it does not have a run down feeling or appearance. I stay in a hotel about 300 days a year and I can tend to be rather picky. For the price and the needs I had during my stay this hotel fit the bill. The location is great for Mayo. It was very cold and snowing and I never had to go outside to get to Mayo, Methodist Hospital, or many fine shops and restaurants. I will stay there again when I return for my post surgery checkup.

1  Thank OKnana
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We stayed at the Kahler Inn/Suites in Rochester, MN for 10 days because of an extended visit to nearby Mayo Clinic. We thought the hotel staff was very helpful and efficient (front desk, housekeeping, and maintenance), and would highly recommend this hotel for travelers looking for comfort, convenience and reasonable rates. The hotel also features a franchise coffee shop and restaurant at ground level as well as a delicious in-house breakfast option. The hotel is connected to the Mayo Clinic subway system, which lets you access Mayo buildings without going outdoors (important in a Minnesota winter). We will be making other shorter Mayo Clinic trips in the next several months, and will definitely use the Kahler Inn/Suites.

1  Thank HappyCustomerAmesIA
Reviewed 18 February 2010

If you are in Rochester to visit the Mayo Clinic this is where you want to stay. It is conveniently connected directly to the clinic via the pedestrian subway. We were able to get to our appointments without going outdoors (during winter in MN) or having to wait for a shuttle or cab. Free parking in the attached garage is a plus. We stayed in a Queen Suite, which was roomy and comfortable (including the temperature) and reasonably priced. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Jimmy John's and Caribou Coffee right off the lobby -- gotta love that! I had heard about "Minnesota nice" -- here I experienced it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business