“Accommodating Disability/Illness”

An Abbey at Viola Suites
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
An Abbey at Viola Suites
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We just finished a two-week stay at Viola Suites, in Rochester, MN, while attending outpatient care at Mayo Clinic. The Suites are located north of Mayo, in a quiet residential setting. Behind the suites is Quarry Hill Nature Center-- a large nature center with lovely acreage. The suites are well-equipped and easily accessed. The owner, Dennis, and manager, Judy, both were very helpful in preparing the suites before our arrival. We had special needs-- removing fragrant products-- and they went to extra lengths to accommodate this. What was nice about Viola Suites, were the hardwood floors, and many windows which opened for ventilation. The suite we stayed in, "Diane", met our needs, and gave us ample space to spread-out and recover from our busy days at Mayo Clinic. Judy was responsive to our questions for information, and available to assist when we needed help. We enjoyed stopping by the Quarry Nature Center each afternoon for a walk, or a quiet "sit", in a beautiful and restorative setting. We were thankful to be away from the hustle/bustle of the city, and hear birds singing outside of the windows as we slept.

Room Tip: Communicate with Judy or Dennis about your specific needs, as each suite has different layout and am...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Marilyn M
There are newer reviews for An Abbey at Viola Suites

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Best place for a Mayo Clinic stay. Well I'm back again, but this time I spent the extra time to explore options around where to stay. I was here before for two months and stayed at a nice hotel. The noise in the hallway, doors slamming, people talking, and kids screaming as they ran to the pool disrupted my sleep. This time I made a few calls and asked a lot of questions. Then I went to Trip Advisor and found the flower in the ruff. I read their reviews and they sounded genuine, of course some will never be happy and can only complain. Thanks Trip Advisor, I found everything to be perfect at this place. The Suite I stayed at was Diane, I liked the idea that I could park by my entry without walking far. The property offers a park setting relatively close to the Clinic, but far enough away that I did not dread the next day. The apartment was comfortably decorated and I did not feel like I was living at the rubber stamped room. This company has character and so does there staff, they are far from old school, privately owned and they do know what they are doing. I read there web site but was still surprised at all the amenities that were provided. What can I say, comfortable, clean, neat and complete. Hope I don't have to come back to Rochester again but thanks for making my stay a delight.

Gretchen Zimick PHD
Boston University MA
Maryland

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank brenda s
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I can't say enough, Thank You. A life long friend of mine was going to Mayo Clinic for a extended procedure. The doctors said she could be there for a months or more. Her family ask if I would look at places to stay. I visited Rochester for a day exploring seven extended stay hotels and short term housing possibilities. Then I found Viola Suites which claims more then you ever expected, and it was true. I stayed with my friend for the duration of her health care visit.. The words all the comforts of home takes the form of art the way this company preformed. The relaxed surroundings of this location next to a nature center was healing. They are 2 miles to downtown, Mayo Clinic and most everything is convenient. They are close to everything and away from the congestion. If we needed to know something Judy the general manager had the answers. The furnished apartment was comfortable and and offered everything we needed. Our apartment was squeaky clean and staff was tip your hat friendly. Thank you for to everything and being there in this time of need. I strongly recommend this extended stay before you book.
Sharon G.
Minneapolis MN

Room Tip: Judy will make sure your needs are well taken care off!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We recently completed treatment for my husband at the Mayo Clinic. While there we stayed from mid September to mid November 2013 at the Viola Suites. It is less than a ten minute drive from Mayo and a very easy one. The suites offer a neighborhood feeling as opposed to a hotel kind of experience. There is ample parking in their U shaped driveway. Our suite was very clean and had two bedrooms which allowed our family to come and visit. We had a fully stocked kitchen with all of the dishes, cookware and bakeware that you could need which gave an opportunity for us to make home cooked meals. There were also many spices and condiments in the kitchen which helped us to cook meals as we would have at home. There were tvs in each of the bedrooms as well as the living room. We had wireless internet which was great in keeping up with business and family. The office located in the front of the building had a washer and dryer that was a great perk to have. As I said it is in a neighborhood setting with many trees that were beautiful in the fall when we stayed there. But the absolute best perk of the Viola Suites is the manager Judy. As the title of this review states, she is the Angel of Viola. The word manager doesn't really describe what Judy is to Viola. She absolutely cares about her tenants and goes out of her way to make sure that all of their needs are met. She was an invaluable resource for information and questions about the area. When our daughter flew in to visit, she printed out comprehensive directions for us to get to and from the airport. She pointed us towards the Nature Quarry when we told her we liked to go for walks and it proved to be a fantastic place to not only walk but have quiet moments to sit and watch the wildlife and relax amid a stressful round of chemo and radiation. Judy went out of her way to make sure we had anything we needed and any request was met with a smile. She is so friendly and thoughtful and was there at the property every day so she could touch base with us and make sure we were doing ok. She was very friendly to our children and family members when they came to visit and made them feel so much better that we had someone to rely on when we were so far from home. This kind of one on one care would not be found at a hotel so we were thankful to have found Viola to make our stay so much more tolerable given the treatment circumstances we faced at Mayo. I can't say enough about Judy. We continue to stay in contact which is a testament to how much she cares about those that stay with her. She is a genuine person who works very hard and is down to earth and so approachable. She cares and that is so helpful to those who have to go through cancer treatments that are scary and debilitating. Believe me that meant so much! That is why I call her the Angel of Viola. She truly is.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Waf B
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Viola Suites from Mid August 2013 through the end of October. We feel very blessed to have found this place. It is a clean, well maintained facility with all the amenities needed. Most of all, it was wonderful to see Judy's smiling face everyday. She is a FANTASTIC manager and a very caring and kind lady. If we needed anything she was always ready and willing to help us out. She made sure I took care of myself as well as being the caregiver for my husband who went through a stem cell transplant. We were 750 miles away from home but Judy helped us to feel welcomed and made our little apartment feel like home. She was not only a landlady/manager but a friend who was there to listen when I was feeling alone and give words of encouragement. I would recommend a stay at the Viola Suites, it made our difficult journey away from family and friends much less lonely. Thank you, Judy!! You are one in a million!

Aaron and Tracy Kessel
Sidney, MT

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FrequentFlyer55904
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed in Viola Suites in 2012 and in 2013 and hope to return in the future. The suites we stayed in were comfortable, clean, and very well equiped. In addition the location is excellent. Close to Mayo, and the Quarry Hill Nature reserve which is excellent for hiking and they have many animals on display. Great for children and grown ups too. The host of Viola Suites, Judy, is fantastic. She is a great help to make your stay in the Suites even better. We would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Judy is an incredible host at Viola Suites. We were there for a month on a visiting rotation at Mayo Clinic and are now certain we want to move to Rochester, MN. The land around Viola Suites is beautiful, with a fire pit, outdoor grills, and plenty of trees. Perfect short distance from town, seriously a 5 minute drive at most to get to Mayo. Nearby Silver Lake Park is gorgeous as well! Judy provides a clean and well-stocked suite with everything you'd need--just get groceries and you've got a fully stocked kitchen! We would definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling out to Rochester--residents, students, families, doctors, patients, etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business