Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Round Lake, United States
“Convenient to Mayo”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for six nights associated with a trip to Mayo Clinic. The shuttle service is very convenient and the drivers are very caring and build up a rapport with the patients. If you or someone in your family is gluten intolerant, you are also in luck because the onsite restaurant, Twigs, is top notch and offers most of their selections gluten-free as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our express shuttle service very convenient. We are delighted to hear that our drivers were very caring during your stay. We are thrilled that you were able to dine at Twigs Tavern and Grille and enjoyed our gluten free menu. Thank you so much for your recommendations, it means the world to us. We can't wait to share your comments with our staff, they love to hear how much our guests appreciate them. We look forward to your next stay with us at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. Sincerely, Myron Salz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Grand Forks, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Excellent shuttle service, average rooms, good restaurant, dated but clean, good location to Mayo . Breakfast is mediocre and breakfast room too small for the number of guests the hotel can accommodate.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and your guestroom accommodations. We are sorry to hear that our staff did not direct you to the additional breakfast seating that is provided in our Magnolia room. Thank you for letting us know. We are glad you were able to dine in Twigs Tavern and Grille and enjoyed your meal. We hope to see you again. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed at the Best Western-Soldier’s Field in September and October 2013; located on 6th Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota.
The hotel is clean, has good amenities and is convenient to the Mayo Clinic; our stay experience was severely bruised by a mix-up in registration & billing that occurred.
This was our second separate stay at the hotel within the September/October time period and I had made the reservation well in advance directly over the phone to the hotel staff prior to our arrival. We were scheduled to stay a total of 10-days and we had been given an AARP discount rate.

Our difficulty with the staff began upon our arrival; I had secured the reservation over the phone and I had explained that we did not have a “CREDIT CARD” we instead held DEBIT CARDS and we would be using them. We did have one problem; we knew that due to the length of this planned stay – and – due to the Hotel’s rules on the use of Debit Cards our cash flow would not work as we wanted it to.

In short – there would not be enough cash in the account to cover what the hotel placed on “HOLD” to cover the entire stay. I understand and acknowledge how this works; it is their policy and they make it very clear to everyone.

I asked the representative on the phone if it would be possible to place a smaller amount on “HOLD” until more funds could be deposited. It was agreed upon by the representative and me that the hotel could place the hold on 1-week’s charges for our 3-week visit. After which we would be able to renew the remaining two week hold once the funds were deposited. Then at checkout, we agreed to pay the entire amount due for the 3-week stay using the funds available.

Upon arrival I was presented a bill for the entire amount of the 3-week stay; I also was informed that my DEBIT CARD was declined and that I needed to provide a new card to secure the room. I explained – to the clerk – that I had spoken to someone at the hotel when I booked the stay and that this issue had been resolved (I thought) so that we could place one week on HOLD and then renew at the beginning of the second week.

The clerk – without emotion or compassion – looked at me and said “No. You did not make that arrangement…we don’t make arrangements like that.”

I was informed that if I did not give them a card that would allow the entire bill to be placed on HOLD – I could not secure the room. After driving 12 hours and arriving late; I was not in a mood to argue. I asked if I could pay for a single night and then straighten this out with the manager in the morning. It was arranged for me to do that. However, in doing so I was “losing my reservation” on the family room I had requested; it would have to be made over again when I talked to the manager the next day – and – there was no guarantee that room would then be available.

I made arrangements that evening for my friend to call and secure our family room with her credit card and hold the reservation until we could make arrangements to switch the cards.
The funds were deposited into our account and I immediately went to the front desk to arrange removing my friend’s card from the room charge and HOLDING the room charges with my DEBIT CARD. Again, I was dealing with the very same clerk that checked my family in and was so “un-emotional” in addressing me at that time. Suffice to say, the clerk’s attitude had not improved. The issue was however, cleared up and my card was attached while my friend’s card was removed (I thought).

We checked out 2-days earlier than we had anticipated and I once again checked to make sure that my DEBIT CARD was being charged for the full amount of the stay. The very same clerk that I had dealt with all along informed me “Yes, we did that.”

Long Story short – they DID NOT!! My friends Credit Card was charged and she was also charged a fee on top of that hotel charge! I immediately called the manager of the Best Western Soldier’s Field and asked for an explanation.

AND I QUOTE “Oh, sorry….we must have errantly left that card in the file.” I pointed out to him that the clerk had assured me at checkout this was not the case and asked that the charges be placed onto my DEBIT CARD as I had arranged.

“I’m sorry….that is impossible now, it has already gone to our accounting department and is irreversible…”

I paid my friend back the entire amount and paid her $50 fee that she was charged by her credit card company. I will never stay at this hotel again and if you are reading this – be careful – they do not follow through on their arrangements.

As I stated earlier, the room was clean and well kept; the hotel was modern and had many amenities that favored long-staying guests. The pool was closed for repairs for the first few days after we arrived; however, it did re-open and it was a very clean and well-kept pool.

My family and I DO NOT recommend this hotel – this is solely based on the rude, inconsiderate, unemotional and flat-out non-professional treatment we received from the staff upon our check-in and after our check-out!!

Room Tip: Get any and all arrangements, reservations and/or billing issues IN WRITING.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hoosier51
Palos Park, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great Place, very friendly staff, very clean room and wonderful beds to sleep in. Price OK for a night or two but a little high for a week or more. Centrally located and free transportation to Mayo Clinic. We never had to move our car the bus took us to all parts of Mayo Clinic. The bus ran about every 5 minutes. This is a plus when you are on a schedule at the Mayo Clinic.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations and found the room clean and comfortable. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy our complimentary express shuttle service and leave your car parked in our free parking lot for the duration of your stay. We are so happy to hear how friendly our staff was and we can't wait to pass along your comments. We hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Branson,Mo, United States
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Really is the "Best". Friendly, helpful, caring staff. Wonderful Courtesy Van Service, with the best helpful drivers around. Great rooms, clean, quiet. Will stay again and again. Close to many attractions, Mayo Clinic, Shopping.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We are so happy to hear how friendly and helpful our staff was during your stay with us at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our express shuttle service. Yes, our drivers are one of a kind. We can't wait to share your comments with our staff, they love to hear how much our guests appreciate everything that they do for them. We are glad that you found your guestroom accommodations clean and quiet. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Downers Grove
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Parking was tight due to construction, but there were enough spaces. Hotel was very crowded due to sports tournaments, but they managed to keep hotel clean. Decent pool. Very close to park and walking trails.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pat W
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field Tower & Suites. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our location to Soldiers Field Park and the walking trails. We are happy to hear that even during the exterior renovation you were able to find plenty of parking spaces. Thank you for understanding and we know you will love the finished buildings as much as we do. We are glad that you were able to enjoy the pool during your stay with us. We can't wait to share your comments with our staff about the cleanliness of the hotel during your stay. We hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Powderly, Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We have stayed at this Hotel since 1992. We love the convenience to the Mayo Clinic and the shuttle that allows visitors the ability to get around Rochester Mn. so easy. We are sure that the hotel is probably in the process of replacing some of their outdated furnishings. We will always stay at this hotel because we feel the positives of this hotel out way the negatives.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay. We couldn't be happier to hear that you have been staying with us at the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field Tower & Suites since 1982. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoy our Express Shuttle Service that we offer only our guest and find our service very convenient. Yes, we have recently updated our guestrooms with flat screen televisions, new bedding, new carpet, and we will be updating the guestroom bathrooms with granite countertops. We can't wait for your next visit to see all the updates! Thank you again for reviewing your stays with us and we look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Myron Salz