“The only hotel we consider”

Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
“The only hotel we consider”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel for the past six years when visiting the Mayo Clinic, which happens four times a year. The convenience of the shuttle that they offer is second to none in our opinion. We stay in the main building when given a choice, as the restaurant is located in that building and we eat there regularly. The shuttle uses that main building as its base as well. The rooms are comfortable and the complimentary breakfast can not be beat for variety and quality. Although this is not a 5 star hotel, it is very nice and the Mayo clinic discount makes it affordable for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barry B
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are so happy to hear that you have been staying with us for the past 6 years! THANK YOU! We are thrilled to hear how much you love our Express Shuttle Service that we offer to only our guests. We are glad to hear you enjoy staying in our tower building and find our rooms comfortable and affordable. We couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoy Twigs Tavern and Grille. We are glad that you enjoy our Complimentary Expanded Breakfast Buffet and you enjoy the variety and quality that we offer with pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, a rotating hot breakfast item, and much more. Thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Myron Salz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
La Porte City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed in an extended stay suite while our son was having heart surgery. Breakfast was great, Room was good, staff was excellent. Never waited more than a 5 minutes for a shuttle and most drivers asked about my son by name! Would stay again!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations while staying in one of our Extended Stay Suites. We are glad that you enjoyed our Complimentary Expanded Breakfast Buffet. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed our Express Shuttle Service that we offer to only our guests. We couldn't be happier to hear how our great staff and our wonderful our van drivers treated you and your son, we are so glad they were able to help make your stay more enjoyable. We can't wait to share your comments with all of our staff. Thank you so much for your wonderful review and we hope to see you again. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My wife and I spent a total of almost 4 weeks at the Centerstone (formerly Best Western) in April and June/July while she was being evaluated for surgery and for the surgery itself. I had researched reviews extensively and believe I can offer some insights (especially about the suites) and help put into perspective my experience along with many others I read here.

THE GOOD
Location: The hotel is about a mile away from St. Mary's entrance and probably half a mile to Gonda/Mayo buildings. It's an easy and safe walk in nice weather. The "out-building" suites offer a full kitchen with a full-size refrigerator. That alone saved me a small fortune as I am a foodie. And even a hospital as good as Mayo does not always serve the most appealing food.

The shuttle service is the handiest in town. (Will discuss more under WONDERFUL.) A beautiful food coop is about 3 blocks away and a huge supermarket and drug store are a little over a mile away. The price is reasonable. The beds are reasonably comfortable. THE WALLS ARE CONCRETE AND SOUNDPROOF. Having free wifi and hot breakfast available is handy. Kitchen has full size appliances. No one would argue that these accommodations are luxurious but they are well worth the prices charged.

THE WONDERFUL
The STAFF. We wanted to take them home with us! Service at a "5 star" hotel would be more formal but could not meet the standards or friendliness of the team at the Centerstone. I think very highly of Minnesotans' hospitality to begin with, but this team of folks is exceptional.

The front desk folks were always accommodating and tried to figure out ways to help solve every little problem they could. They look for every way they can to make your life easier while you are there. As many people have commented here, the shuttle drivers are amazing. They are efficient, flexible, caring. There is NO need to have a car here. Even the fact that there always seem to be at least 2 drivers available at all times makes getting around worry- and stress-free. That service alone is worth half the price of the room.

During our second stay, we encountered an unexpected surprise in the category of random acts of kindness. My wife was hobbling around outside trying to find a place to grab a few puffs of a cigarette. Jeff B, in Maintenance, got us set up quickly. After that, he took care of some small complaints with the room. And then, he wrote down his personal phone number for us. He offered to take us up to Walmart for whatever we needed to be more comfortable. He offered to find and install some accessible equipment we thought we needed post-surgery. While my wife was up in St. Mary's, he stopped by several times to ask me if I needed him to do anything for me (on his own time). He helped me get things ready to leave. Jeff's genuine concern for our well-being and comfort was truly above and beyond the call of duty. That genuine, real concern is not something you can get for any price at a 5 star hotel.

THE UGLY
(I base this on 2 "out building" experiences.) Air conditioners are old, noisy, and inefficient and should be replaced. AC to the bedroom is problematic as others have suggested. Fortunately, MN weather and double pane windows with screens help mitigate that. Carpets could use a good cleaning or replacing. (I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot.) Couches, as well, should be replaced. Bed sheets and mattress covers should be replaced. Drapes and bedspreads, too.

BOTTOM LINE: Considering all the value we got for our money and the exceptional service and hospitality, I can easily overlook the UGLY and will stay there again if we ever need to go back to Mayo.

Room Tip: For long stays, opt for the one bedroom suites. The full kitchen will save you money.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BobK51
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stays with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed our location to the Mayo Clinic Campus and Saint Marys Hospital. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stays in our Extended Stay Suites. The full kitchens definitely make a long stay more enjoyable, we try to make it our guests home away from home. We are ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed the Express Shuttle Service that we offer and that you didn't have to use your car one bit while staying with us. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on our staff, they are all so gracious and caring. We can't wait to share your comments with them, they love to hear how much our guests appreciate everything that they do. Thank you for letting us know about the air conditioner in your guestroom, we are replacing them and have made note to get a new one into that room. We appreciate all of your feedback more than you will ever know. We hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Myron Salz
Evans, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel is terrible. We’re used to Hampton Inns but are here for a family event. We have a room in one of the “out-buildings” without indoor room entrances. We’re on the 1st floor and the room is extremely damp. The AC unit is running and cooling but it appears that the condensed water doesn’t drain anywhere. The humidity in the room is about 100%. About the AC – this room is a kitchenette with a separate bedroom. The bedroom does not have AC – there is a fan in the wall between the living room and the bedroom to move cool air into there. It works OK, but how cheap can you get? The room smells musty, the carpet is damp, the tile floor felt damp, and even the couch feels damp because of the high humidity. The carpet is not clean. My feet got immediately dirty after showering. It smells a bit like cigarette smoke in the room – either people have been illegally smoking, or there is still residual smoke smell from the past – cleaning?? The kitchen area and bathroom walls are that plastic coated metal type walls that you see in fast food restrooms. What else? There are silverware and dishes in the kitchen cabinets – have to use the glasses from there since there are none in the bathroom. That was gross – all of the glasses had fingerprints and lip prints on them! Ewww! I had to wash them with shampoo before using. The staff definitely has not been trained to do this. Now – the bathroom was clean; no mildew there, which you can’t say about many cheaper hotels these days. The bed was fine; not at all uncomfortable. Based on their webpage when you sign onto wifi, it appears we’re in one of the recently renovated room because we have the granite countertops that are “coming in 2013” (its 2014!). I’d hate to see rooms that haven’t been renovated.
The price is about the same as one of the Hampton Inns in town (probably not the one near the Mayo). If you don’t need to be very close to the Mayo, don’t stay here. Even if you do, ask to see your room before you pay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheRealJackTheBear
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are so sorry to hear about your experience. Our housekeeping staff has been trained during the warmer months to leave the air conditioner on and the fan running to circulate the air flow throughout the room, had this been done the dampness that you refer to would have been eliminated. We apologize that this was not done prior to your arrival. I am so sorry to hear that the carpet was not cleaned to our standards and there was a lingering odor. We have our maintenance staff looking into your comments to assure that this does not happen again. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and were able to get a good night's rest. Thank you for letting us know that the website had not been updated, we have made that change. I have spoken to our staff to make sure everyone is aware of the issues you brought to our attention and can assure you that these have been addressed and will never happen again. On every level we are so very sorry. This is in no way the experience we would ever want a guest to have. I hope that if you are ever in the Rochester area you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please contact me as I would like to discuss the issues further, myron@soldiersfield.com Sincerely, Myron Salz
Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was ok, but very convenient to have the shuttle to take and pick up from Clinic. The kitchenette does not have alot of kitchen items, so would recommend that you bring some of your own if you plan to cook. We had the suite, which had a separate bedroom. There was not an air conditioner in the room, just an exhaust fan to push the air from the living room. If it was warmer it may not have been comfortable. Was glad I took a fan. The breakfast was your normal free breakfast. I would most likely stay there again due to the shuttle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
mysalz, Owner at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location to the Mayo Clinic. We are thrilled that you were able to utilize our express on-call shuttle service that we offer to only our guests and found it very convenient. We are so sorry to hear that your guestroom was not stocked with the appropriate kitchen items, each room is to have 4 sets of dinnerware, a sauce pot, a sauté pan, and cooking utensils. I am sorry to hear that your accommodations were warmer than expected, can you please contact me directly to discuss this further, myron@soldiersfield.com. We are glad that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet that we serve daily with waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, breakfast meats. cereal, donuts, coffee, juices and many other items. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Myron Salz
traverse city, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

with in walking distance to Mayo Clinic.Luckily I only had to be there for the day. Staff very helpful and considerate, well groomed and pleasant personalitys The room we stayed in is in desperate need of a major overhaul. . Only way to cool bedroom was either open windows or turn on fan that went thru to the living room where ac was. Could see right through the wall. Nice kitchenette. Sofa and chair were almost impossible to sit on,Beds were comfortable. 2 dbl beds.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Jan H
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are so happy to hear how helpful and considerate our staff was during your stay. We can't wait to share your wonderful comments with them! I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your guestroom accommodations. The air conditioning in our Extended Stay Suites circulates from the living room into the bedroom when the fan is running, our staff is to ensure that this is running prior to our guests arrival. I apologize that this was not done prior to you checking in. We have spoken with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this does not happen again. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed having a full size stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave in your guestroom. I am sorry that the that the sofa and chair were uncomfortable, can you please contact me directly to discuss this further, myron@soldiersfield.com. I am thrilled that you were able to relax in our comfortable beds. Thank you so much for bringing these issues to my attention, and we hope to see you again soon. Sincerely, Myron Salz
North Mankato, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I read reviews online that scared me a bit about this hotel, but it turned out to be rather nice. Yes the rooms are a bit dated to the 80s but the lobby is large and accommodates a lot of people. The breakfast was your average free breakfast but the location to the soldiers baseball fields was perfect.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us at the Centerstone Plaza Hotel Soldiers Field - Mayo Clinic Area. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our large lobby and were able to gather as a team. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our location to Soldiers Field Park. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Rochester. Sincerely, Myron Salz