“This place needs HELP”

Ranked #48 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Livingston, Montana
“This place needs HELP”
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My first question: where are the rooms portrayed on this web site?? I find it hard to believe that they were taken here!! We booked a room with one double bed, based on price, for 5 days, for a visit to Mayo Clinic. We couldn't afford a larger room with even a queen bed. As soon as we walked into the lobby, we knew we were in for it. Very shabby. We were immediately horrified as soon as we stepped in the dirty, creaky elevator,and the hallway we went through upstairs had dirty carpeting and very ugly, cheap decor. The room was about 80 deg. and even with open windows (very cold outside), we could barely stand it. There was no room to walk in the room! The bed was up against the windows, with only about 6 inches room to get into that side of the bed. Nothing seemed clean, and the bedspread appeared to have been used many times without being washed. The sheets were old and thin, and the towels and wash cloths were, too. The latter felt like sandpaper. We were so uncomfortable!!! We asked for a different room, with 2 beds in it. We were able to get one at the same price, because we were so unhappy. Also, there were hardly any guests at the hotel, so there were plenty of rooms available. What we got were 2 adjoining rooms, each with a double bed. They were just like the room we had just left: each was dingy, small, pretty disgusting sheets, spreads, and towels. There was one bathroom that, except for the cracked floor around the toilet, was pretty clean. The old radiators make life pretty difficult, as the windows are hard to lift, and if you don't do that, you fry. The doors don't fit very well, so quite a bit of light came under the door at night. The woodwork looked like someone had been beating up on it and scraping it. This hotel has lots of potential, as it probably WAS charming back in the day. As it is now, it's awful, and I even wonder if it is ever inspected by the health department... Our first and last stay.

Room Tip: Tip one. Don't stay here. Tip two: if you do, make sure you ask for a room that doesn't face...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Adam K, General Manager at Days Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. I assure you that the pictures on our website were taken at the property. The picture on the website is of a room with (2) double beds. Since you stayed in a room with (1) double bed I can understand your confusion with the picture. Our rooms with one double bed are our most affordable rooms which is why they are smaller than our other rooms in the building. We do operate an older facility, but pride ourselves on providing a clean and comfortable stay. I am happy our staff was able to upgrade you to room that better suited your needs.
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.

Adam Kramer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The locations is excellent. Just a few blocks from Mayo. The room rate was half to a third compared to the other hotels nearby. But you get what you pay for. The building us very old. The room smells like an old building. I could not even put my clothes in the closet because it smells like an old store room that has not been opened in years. The bathroom is horrible. The toilet smells like urine. There was no iron or ironing board in the room. I had to borrow them from the front desk. I don't think they vacuum at all! It was very dusty especially where the bed was that I got sick from all the dust. The radiator in the room was not working. I had to buy a small humidifier to make my stay a little more bearable.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank KuchakTaraw
Adam K, Manager at Days Inn Rochester Downtown, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. Our excellent location and proximity to Mayo clinic is enjoyed by many of our guests.
Our rates are competitive. This hotel was built in 1919 but ever since we took over 6 years ago we have been renovating all the rooms and introduced all the modern amenities that the brand requires.
We have addressed the issues that you have brought up and retrained our housekeeping team. However, when problems or issues are reported during the stay, we make sure that a fix is provided right away. It is hard to fix problems when they are addressed after a guest stay.

Iron and ironing boards are readily available at the front desk upon request.
We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. I hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Adam Kramer
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This is a very old run-down building that I feel should be replaced. I have stayed there 4 different times but will not be returning. It does have a great location to the Mayo Clinic, if you are doing business there, as I was. The staff is usually very helpful, the hotel price is very reasonable and there is one computer in the lobby for free usage. That is all the pros I can vouch for. Cons: Rooms are small, the whole building is old and "patched up", carpeting is worn, furniture is well-used, pillows are too hard to sleep on (I put 2 towels together to use as a makeshift pillow.), hallways and elevator are very drab, there is no on-site fitness center, the air conditioners are filthy, and there is no room service (a casual restaurant adjoins to the hotel but is not part of the hotel).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Days Inn was a surprise- it was built in 1919- we enjoyed all the atmosphere of yesteryear.
the price was right- the beds comfortable (twins). it was a block from the clinic- I was able to use a wheel chair borrowed from the methodist hospital across the street the front desk was helpful- answered all my questions. Parking was on site. my friend was told good news-WOW

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We booked this hotel for 5 days as we were in town for the mayo clinic when we got there at midnight or so the doors were locked and we literally had to knock for 10 to 15 minutes before a lady came to open the door. This place IS OLDDDD so old that the elevator made you extremley nervous that the cables were gonna snap and send you plumiting to your asbestes filled death. Anyways when we got to our room it was not like a traditional hotel im talking old dirty carpet old wiggly knob with wooden door that was rotted so it let in light around the edges. Thats not the end oh no when we got in there the room was 85% so we looked for a thermostat and couldnot find one sure enough it has a window ac unit ok whatever i can deal with that so i go to turn it on and its broken so it had one setting Antartic Winter which was great for a bit but then when it doesnt regulate it self and turn off it gets freezing cold in there so we wake up in the morning and I jump in the shower and it is a old time TUB with like lion feet and grimey white tint to it. So the tempatres in there were either freezing cold or freaking hot so needless to say it was ridiculas but what put the icing on the cake is i looked up at the ceeling and there was MOLD yes thats right MOLD on the bathroom ceeling at that point i went down stairs and canceled the rest of our stay it was the worst excuse for a "hotel" i have ever seen. Steer Clear of this Place

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Harrisburg, SD
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Most helpful staff I've encountered in a long time! Wife was in Mayo/Methodist Hospital (right across the street) for a week. I had to go to the car to get some papers one night and forgot the dome light on all night and drained the battery. I asked Sharon (mgr) who would be best to call in the area for jump start...thinking I would call someone. She got on her radio, called the very nice maintainence man and asked him to get jumper cables out of the trunk of her car. He pulled his own car around and jump started my car. No one would take any money for helping me. I can't say enough about how nice & helpful they all are. I will stay at the downtown Days Inn any time we are in Rochester MN.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank T1234567
Reviewed 30 March 2011

This place was convenient, that's why we chose it.... but the rooms were like a cracker box new york hotel.

• Stayed April 2010