“Rough at first...”

Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #47 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Pros: Location, free parking, historic building, good staff and cheap

Cons: The first room we got (Room 209) stunk of mildew or "something" so bad we nearly gagged. From reading a review on here it seems this is not a new problem with that room. The bathroom was also so small a large person would have had a very hard time using it.

To their credit the manager moved us to a new room when we reported the smell and that room (214) was very nice. No smell and the bathroom was a little bigger. The smell from the other room was so bad though that our luggage and clothes smell of it even after only being in there 15 minutes. Sounds like a reoccurring problem that needs to be fixed.

To be fair this seems to be a nice hotel with one bad room (209). I would suggest they stop renting that room until that situation is resolved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sftravis

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I traveled to Rochester for testing at the Mayo Clinic and the room I booked was very disappointing. It was totally run down, if I were any larger of a person than I am, I would not have been able to get into the bathroom. No room to put anything in there either (very limited counter space). The plumbing was atrocious. The tub/shower was retrofitted with exposed piping that was sharp. I cut my foot on it getting out of the shower. The room was so tiny that the bed barely fit and it smelled mildewy/moldy.
I was very impressed with most of the staff however. They were helpful and courteous. I had a bit of extra luggage to bring in and there was no one available and no one volunteered to help me with it. This building could be magnificent with a total remodel and face lift using quality items and decoration. Please consider a total makeover and I would stay with you again. Room 209 needs to accommodate a single bed at a very reduced rate at this time.

Room Tip: I have only stayed here once but if all the rooms on second floor are as small as the one I stayed i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate all feedback from our guests; whether it is good or bad. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. It is our job to make sure our guests are happy and we obviously failed to make sure that you were satisfied with the state of the room. We operate a very old facility and there can be challenges associated with that. It sounds like you were placed in a room that did not fit your needs. Our rooms with one double bed (just like 209) are our most affordable yet smaller rooms. We do have rooms at the property that are bigger this type of room would have worked better for your situation. I hope that we have the opportunity in the future to get you in a room that better fits your needs.

I appreciate the kind words regarding the staff. Everyone at the Days Inn Downtown in Rochester works very hard to make every guest experience the best it can be.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Our stay at the Downtown Days Inn in Rochester, Minnesota, turned a medical appointment into a pleasure trip. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.(thank you, Sharon) The hotel itself was such a step back in time it was such fun to see the architecture and imagine what it was like when it opened. The room was clean and neat, and the hotel is so conveniently located, it made our trip fairly stress free. And we loved the attached restaurant and their staff too! We will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed 22 May 2012

i want to thank the staff at the Downtown Days Inn in Rocchester MN. My husband had surgery at Methodist Hospital and it was very convient. But the best part is the staff, we left for home early one morning and I left my purse. They had called our home right away but I also had to call them on the road and they were very very helpful. They sent the purse and everything even the half eaten poptart. Mr Karmer you have a wonderful staff Blessing Mary Ann Rudie

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The staff is always helpful..super job! The room was clean and neat. The hotel will take you back in time..like in the 20's or 30's. The building and rooms are really neat. We will always stay because of the staff, location, and price. It is also important for us to be pet friendly and they are.

We would recomend it.

Room Tip: book directly with the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The title says it all. The staff was very friendly upon check in, the room was very clean and comfortable. It is an old probably 1920's or 1930's building, but I kind of found that to be cool in an old school way.

The bathroom was a little awkward is my only minor complaint.

Would definitely stay again, and probably will later this week when we head back down there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2012

And she'd probably be right to do so.

Look. This is a Days Inn. And if you look at it as *just* a Days Inn, you're going to miss the point. But! If you look at this as a cheap historic hotel with a can't beat location next to the Mayo Clinic, then you'll not only get the point, you'll give it a four star like my wife insists that I should.

What's good about it? The building dates to 1919, and when you walk the hallways, and open the wooden doors, you'll believe it. On the downside, the rooms are compact and modest - but, I suppose, you'd have to say those feel like 1919, too. From our perspective, it was cozy and pleasant. From yours, it may feel cramped. But if you want a great location for $70/night, really friendly staff, and an early 20th century vibe, you can't do any better.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple