“Not what we expected”

Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Ranked #48 of 52 Hotels in Rochester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because my appointment was at the mayo clinic across the street. This place was the worse of the worse to stay in. First thing our room keys did not work so we had to go down in the very old elevator to get new cards. The hallways paint was gauged and tapping holes were everywhere. This made us wonder what condition the room was . Opening the door we found a bed and a desk and an old fashioned phone. The room was large enough to hold only the bed which was up against the window.Carpet was old and worn and this was a handicapped room which we asked for but walking in bathroom you found the oldest type stool, small size and the seat on it was chipped and worn. I found a guest in the bathroom with me a roach which my husband killed. The under cabinet was old and gross. The only good thing I can say is the bed was comfortable. That said this place is making money by not replacing carpet etc. I have to return next week to Mayo and have found a newer cheaper hotel 3 miles away recommended by mayo itself and comes with free shuttle. I would never stay in this hotel again which we refer to as the Bates motel!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first and check out other places also if you have time.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mayo285
Gilbert
Reviewed 25 December 2013

At a block from Mayo Clinic and Methodist Hospital, the location was what first thing that caught my eye. The fact that it was a classic hotel from the early 20th century further piqued my interest. (I like classic hotels if they are well kept.) The price was the clincher; it was quite inexpensive.

The price aspect did have me wondering what I might find; but while the hotel and the room were a bit dated and apparently not updated for quite some time, it seemed clean and comfortable. The room certainly was not spacious, but it was enough for my needs.

The bathroom had a relatively new sink, but the tub was obviously from a number of decates ago. Still, it was clean and the modern shower head (on a hose) worked well. The drain was a bit slow, but the front desk clerk seemed genuinely concerned and said maintenance personnel would take care of it immediately. (I was checking out at the time, so I don't know if that occurred.)

The TV in the room was a tube type, but it worked well and had standard cable service.

The on-site Danish restaurant was very good and offered a number of authentic Danish and Danish-inspired selections. Everything I had was delicious and very generous in size.

Overall, I was pleased with my stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone who is not looking for luxury accommodations.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Travellers also viewed these Rochester hotels
Kahler Grand Hotel
#25 of 52 in Rochester
Broadway Plaza
Broadway Plaza
#34 of 52 in Rochester

Been to Days Inn Rochester Downtown? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Days Inn Rochester Downtown

Property: Days Inn Rochester Downtown
Address: 1st Avenue Northwest, Rochester, MN 55901
Region: United States > Minnesota > Rochester
Business Centre with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2 star — Days Inn Rochester Downtown 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Days Inn Rochester Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Days Inn Rochester-Downtown Hotel Rochester