“Our stay at the Rochester Marriott, Kahler Inn's and Suite”

Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were in Rochester two times this year, January about 2 weeks and April for a week. My bride of 52 years was a patient of the Mayo Clinic. We stayed in the Kahler Inn and Suite across the street from the clinic. We have stayed in lots of hotels in our life but we were never treated any better nor even as good as we were at Kahler Inns and Suites in Rochester. The rooms we stayed in were wonderful, the maids were excellent and the employees at the desk were outstanding. They were the most helpful employees of any business I have ever been associated with. I am highly recommending the Kahler in Rochester for service and handiness to the Mayo clinic. I can truthfully say I would not ask for anything more in a stay away from home. The continental breakfast was the best ever, every morning. I have a good friend that is going to the Clinic in July and she is staying there and I have a brother in law and sister that are going soon and I recommended the Kahler to them also.

Room Tip: I was in several rooms visiting people I met there and every room I was in was great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good hotel, nothing special. The rooms were average sized and clean. The television and other bits of equipment worked well. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room rates were quite reasonable. Internet connections worked well.

2  Thank patt10019
Scott M, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Appreciate the kind words. Thanks for staying at the Marriott Rochester Mayo Clinic

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Yes, I know that the "Minnesota Nice" thing is a bit overdone at times; yet, here it was at its best. From the doorman, the bellman, the front desk and the concierge attendant on the concierge floor were all exemplars of genuine "niceness". I grew up in rural Minnesota (also know as greater Minnesota) and then 22 years in another college town in Minnesota before moving to Florida where "Southern Hospitality" is their version--it is different--not better or worse--just different. I like "Minnesota nice" and you will too if you stay here. The attention to detail was exemplified by the meticulous facility and when I left the hotel at 6:30 in the morning on this past Saturday, a painter was hand painting the yellow no-parking on the curb--at 6:30 in the morning! Remember Rochester is really just a large small town in the middle of the prairie; a bit primitive in a "simple life" sort of way. Try it; you will like it.

Room Tip: Notice the beds; fantastic!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on Minnesota Nice. We do take pride in this. Hope to see you again if you are ever back in the area.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Spent two nights here with our small Pomeranian. The staff was very friendly and the hotel itself was very clean, super convenient, and reasonably priced. Will stay here again when in the area. The access to the Mayo Clinic and/or other buildings downtown via the skyway or walking subway was wonderful!

Room Tip: The lower the number your room the closer to the elevators you will be.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This Hotel does not monitor what is going on the property. I had to call Mr. Marriott in Washington, DC to get the check-in started. My reservation called for a quiet room facing the atrium, they wanted to place me into another room facing traffic, very noisy rooms.

The check-in took 60 minutes, with another 30 minutes to find out where to park the car. Directions were horrible by staff and placards. No one knew how to enter cards into the parking garage reader. Don't valet park, takes a long time to get car 15-20 minutes. Limited parking in the parking garage, it is shared with another Hotel.

Signage is poor in the Hotel and parking garage, you can get lost very easy while attempting the skyways.

I finally got Room 822, which was quiet, but was a disabled room, I am not disabled.

Many of the guests are going to the Mayo Clinic, wheelchairs are left in the hallways, making egress difficult in an emergency when there may be low light conditions.

The guest may be ill, and there is not signs that the rooms have been sanitized after they leave for any virus or disease left behind. No indication of if any patients may have need for special rooms for airborne illness.

The dishes in the lounge were filthy, there are food items not scrapped from the dishes, I brought down a dish that had plenty of food items left on it and placed in the ready line.

The lounge attendant was lazy sitting down most of the time, she could have cleaning the dishes, but felt it was time to sit down and relax. I would have fired her on the spot.

A person came to the room for turn down service, she again was not capable of doing her job, I had to tell her what to do.

The pillows were extremely uncomfortable, the bed was as well, not a good nights sleep.

The water control valves for the sink and shower could not regulate the water temperature, you had to constantly adjust the water temperature, and then it would change right away. Not a good shower.

No note paper in the room, I had to go to the front desk and get their last two pads.

Hotel GM was also apparently also responsible for adjacent non-Marriott Hotel, splitting his time.

In all I would avoid this Hotel until they assure guest safety by properly sanitizing and cleaning rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid this Hotel
1  Thank Michael M
Scott M, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

It was nice talking with you in the lobby that day. After showing you 3 rooms, I thought we had finally found a room that would work for you, at least that is what you stated to me as I handed you my business card and asked you to call me directly with any further concerns. I also remember when we talked about your ticket not working in the parking ramp, we of course did not charge for parking for the problem that you had with the system. I appreciate the thouroughness of your review and can let you know that we do follow all Marriott specications and more when it comes to service and cleanliness in the rooms. I apologize if we did not meet your standards.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Entire team made my stay pleasant with exceptional service. I wish to compliment Van (housekeeping) for a warm goodbye and taking time to visit. John at the front desk check-in also provided a great experience. Room was quiet, excellent location to Mayo Clinic, executive lounge food was diverse and the gym in great condition. Keep up the great work team.

Room Tip: If you work for Mayo Clinic and want access to the Mayo Clinic network, seek a room closest to Gonda...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Scott M, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Van and John are smiling from ear to ear about your review. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I booked this hotel till monday and this morning got a call that we had to check out, supposedly mandy the supervisor stated we werent in her system to stay any longer, (((WHAT WHEN HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THAT)))))
that we could book again if we wanted to at the regular price
when we spoke to her she just wouldn't stop lying first that no one called the room, then when she did check out my cousin that he didn't mention to her that he was supposed to stay till monday. my cousin has heavy medical equipment he has to carry not to mention has daily doctor visits
HE DOESN'T HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH RACIST UNSENTIMENTAL STAFF LIKE THE MANDY

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank PRISCILLA F
Scott M, General Manager at Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

We have followed up with Orbitz. They did refund your money for the one night in question. We apologize for your cousin's inconvenience. It was definitely not intentional on our part.