“Very Convenient to Mayo Clinic” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rochester Marriott Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
State College, Pennsylvania
“Very Convenient to Mayo Clinic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2007

Very conveniently located hotel if you have to get to Mayo Clinic. They gave us the 7 floor. The 8 and 9 are key-activated. Our room overlooked the pool. The first night the kids had a great time. The second day we did not use the pool. But we could see a party of some sort going on.
The check-in was smooth. We used the valet parking. They charge a bit for it. The entire underground tunnels are called subways :-). We could get breakfast and then walk over to the Mayo Clinic tour. In winter I am sure this is a great advantage. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I was there with the 2 kids and they had absolutely no problems. Could walk to any place. The Barnes and Noble across the street was decorated like a Normandy village!
Room cleaning is done at a later time I guess. The room was not cleaned at 2pm when we came in to get something. But at 4 when my husband came in he said it was all clean. The front desk immediately sent up a razor and shaving cream when we asked where the pharmacy was to buy razors!

• Liked — Clean and well-equipped.Close to almost all local restaurants and bars and ofcourse the hospitals.
  • Disliked — LIked the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank VegLionHoosier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Coon Rapids, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2006

No Kidding, you may need cooling in a large hotel like this in the Winter, especially with Global Warming (outside temp was in mid 50s in late November, even in MN!). AC capability had been shut down for the season (pipes, etc.) so forced Air System provided only Heat or untreated air. Room was uncomfortably warm for me, but maybe not for someone else who likes a room on the warm side.
Other than that, the room was recently redecorated and very lovely (drapes, wallpaper, etc.). Location is excellent to Mayo Center and Shopping/Restaurants - connects to skyway. The Marriott is a large, well run hotel - parking is undercover and $10 per day. Good weekend room rates, but quite pricey during the week due to nearby Mayo Clinic.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room too warm (see review)
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't book in winter if weather is warm
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Coon_Rapids_Traveler
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2006

We spent two nights here in mid September during our visit to the Mayo Clinic. There are many choices in the Mayo Clinic area and we chose this hotel due the reviews here and the negative reviews of the venerable Kahler. The Marriott is one of the closest hotels to the clinic (just as close as the Kahler) and is connected to it via skywalk and underground level. The common areas were nice and in good repair. The room was excellant! We slept better there then at home and this is the first time I've ever said that about a hotel! The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept GREAT on it. The room was modern, quiet, and in good repair. We had breakfast from room service and little touches like covering the toast with aluminum foil to keep it warm was appreciated. The downsides were; Though I spoke to the hotel on two seperate occasions about driving in no one bothered to tell me that the street in front of the hotel was closed. And when I spoke to the desk about where to park the front desk person wasn't helpful. I had to remind housekeeping to clean our room and then they didn't refresh the coffee service and I had to call again to have that done. My biggest concern is that if we were going to stay there again I'd stay on the 8th or 9th floor as they are key-card protected. Maybe I'm just paranoid but there is alot of non-hotel traffic coming in and out of the hotel due to the connecting skywalks and anyone coming in can go to any floor (except 8 &9) . Maybe I've seen too many Datelines. Anyway it's the same in the Kahler as well.

Stayed September 2006
6 Thank Lungfruit
Rochester MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2006

Rochester has a reputation as being a "safe" city. Unfortunately, a wave of muggings is currently underway. (Post-Bulletin 3 Apr 06).

Furthermore, at about 5 PM on a Sunday afternoon a purse was snatched from a 74-year-old woman in the vicinity of First Avenue and Second Street SW, which is near the hotel. A person is in custody.(Post-Bulletin 30 March 2006).

An advantage of this hotel is that it is connected directly to the Mayo Clinic and other attactions by skyway/subway walkways.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank mudala
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2005

As a Mayo patient, I stayed here for two nights. I had great service, a clean room, fast internet, and overall great experience. I will be staying there again in a few months. I thought it was pricey, but I found out that the entire city is pricey because of Mayo. It is a lot nicer than some other nearby hotels though. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a nice hotel close to Mayo. The only downside to this hotel is the parking. It is a parking ramp around the block, and there is heavy construction right now. But if you want a clean room, nice people, stay here.

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, QC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2005

Supposedly the best hotel in the city, but certainly nothing special (3 star at best), and the prices are quite high. Don't know that you can necessarily find better, but in retrospect I would have stayed somewhere perhaps a little less nice and saved probably 50% of the price.

• Stayed April 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Daoda
Minneapolis-St. Paul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2003

My husband and I really enjoyed our de-stress weekend at the Mariott Hotel in Rochester, MN. For a special weekend leisure rate, we were in a large room with king size bed, couch, side chair, cocktail table and a desk which rolls out to become a dining table. After years of business travel, I know hotel beds are usually the weakness! At the Marriott, the bed is very comfortable and equipped with your choice of soft or firm down pillows--not 8 inches of foam. An All American breakfast was promptly delivered to our room (not included in the weekend rate). There's a pool, work-out room, bar, restaurant and the hotel is walking distance to shopping and other restaurants as well as Mayo Clinic.

• Stayed September 2003