“Bright, Spacious and Comfortable”

DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 19 March 2012

A number of hotels in Rochester have invested very little in their properties over the last several years. The DoubleTree is the exception, offering bright spacious modern rooms and excellent service throughout. We were quickly and easily checked in by a smiling desk clerk (who gave us each a welcome cookie) and we and our bags were then pleasantly and efficiently escorted to our room. The room featured a small refrigerator and microwave, easy chair and ottoman, work desk and chair and half windows the entire width of the room. The luxurious bedding, including feather pillows, was wonderful and the shower, featuring a full length glass door and great water pressure, was superb. Wifi was complementary. Another feature that we particularly appreciated was a series of bridges and indoor walkways that gave us access to Mayo Clinic and to a covered shopping mall without ever having to go outside in inclement weather. Services that we did not use were the complementary shuttle, fitness room, and business center but we are sure that they were as excellently maintained and executed as the rest of the hotel. We certainly recommend staying here to others and will ourselves stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear jazz1864: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be staying with us again in the future. Our staff and owner take much pride in our hotel. I am glad that it shows. Thank you again and if you need anything prior to your next arrival, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We spent several nights in DoubleTree and truly enjoyed our time, even though the circumstances were not the best for us. We were greeted by name by all the staff and the valet throughout the stay and it truly felt like we were the only people there, though the hotel was sold out the entire time. The rooms are very nice and the beds are outstanding. We were on the Executive Floor and had access to the Executive club which was amply stocked and served a nice morning breakfast. The hotel has a shuttle to take you to any Mayo appointments, though it's in short walking distance to most locations. The business center had some difficulties while I was there and none of the staff were aware how to use faxes, etc. Valet parking is virtually essential and is at added cost. The hotel is probably a bit expensive relative to the overall quality, but given it's location it is to be expected. We would not hesitate to stay again and very much enjoyed our accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SoonerWiz
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear SoonerWiz: Thank you very much for your posting about the DoubleTree! We are very excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have sent your comments to each of our Department Leaders so that they can share with their staff. Thank you again for staying with us and if you would need anything prior to your next arrival, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com

Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was our little oasis while we were visiting the Mayo Clinic. Everyone was helpful, competent and friendly from the front desk, to the manager, housekeeping, valets, and ladies in the upstairs food area. The rooms were clean and well cared for. The restaurant was wonderful. We wanted a DVD player and there was none available. My husband brought this to the attention of the manager and a new one was delivered within hours! Someone immediately came and helped us sync it with the TV when we were having trouble. The staff seemed to genuinely like working here and it showed making for a very pleasant stay. The pool, sauna and fitness areas were spotless. We would not stay anywhere else on a return visit!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and the extra cost was worth having access to the upstairs food area. I...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Lgf52: Thank you very much for posting your comments! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. When you return, if you need anything prior to your arrival, please just email me at deb.knox@hilton.com and we will have it in your room when you get here. Thank you again!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I usually give the establishment and/or the individual the benefit of the doubt and try to understand the pressures or issues that may be affecting the person I'm dealing with. Hey, people have a bad day every now and then. If you're striving to do your best when having a bad day you've exceeded my expectation. But for an entire staff to have 3 bad days in a row goes beyond coincidence and looks more like systemic failure. From a clumsy, slow and awkward check-in to a surley valet to poor housekeeping to a check-out that could have cared less.

As an Honors member I'm usually upgraded without having to ask. When Eleyna was checking me in she had indeed put me on the Honors floor put she could not upgrade me to lounge access because "we have a lot of teams in" When my wife asked for lounge access and presented her diamond status there was instantly lounge access available. Hey, tell me the truth don't embarass yourself by getting caught in a lie 20 seconds after you tell it.

As other reviewers have mentioned parking is additional. I tried once to get the bellman/valet to help us and park our car. He vanished. I saw him a second time and asked for a cart. He told me he'd be right with me and then he vanished. We put our things away and then went to pick up my mother. We returned to the Double Tree about 30 minutes later, pulled up in front, recieved a nod of the head from the valet and I watched him dissapear into an elevator.

After getting settled I noticed that the comment card on the desk had been completed by the previous guest but not picked up by housekeeping. Wondered what else housekeeping did not do. I was making a trip down stairs and took the card with me. I went up to the desk and spoke with Eleyna. I told her I found this card and it must have been missed by housekeeping and I wondered what else housekeeping might have missed. Without skipping a beat Eleyna took the card from me, muttered something about management and went to the other end of the desk. No questions about my room, no questions about my satisfaction, no offer to send housekeeping in to remake it. Just a rebuff. At one point we brought 2 coffee cups back to the room. The next morning after housekeeping had been in I noticed that both coffee cups had been rinsed and set on the desk. Hey, who does that? If they're dirty take 'em out. Housekeeping also did not pick up an obviously empty and trash beer container. Hey I know they walk a fine line between trash and "I was saving that" but dirty coffee cups and an empty 12 pack container are pretty obvious.

After a couple of hours we went to take my mother home and the dissapearing valet began to chastise me for leaving the car there as there were other (and apparently more deseving guests) who could have used the space. I reminded him that 3 times I asked for help and 3 times he ignored me. He suggested I could just leave the keys with the desk, who, Eleyna? I asked. He got huffier (and I think kind of mad) when I told him now it was my turn to ignore him.

I think you get the picture. Things did not improve when checking out. Usually when checking out I'm asked how I enjoyed my stay and given an opportunity to compliment or complain. I got a brush off. They took my key and wished me a safe drive. That was it.

OK whats good about it. Location is good, but Rochester is a small town and any hotel downtown is a good location. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Any major hotel downtown is going to be about the same. This place lives and dies by the Mayo clinic and if you're not keeping up you'll be empty.

As a loyal Hilton guest I was genuiely dissapointed that this property was so un-Hilton like. I was dissapointed that none of the staff out front seemed to care at all.

I cannot recomend it. There are 6 or more properties within a 5 minute walk taht are likely to appreciate your business.

Room Tip: Choose the Holiday Inn next door
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank HARLEYFLTR
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear HARLEYFLTR: First, thank you for posting your comments. After researching your comments with our Regional Director of Operations, I understand that the reservation was under your name with a Hilton Honor status of Blue. This is the beginning tier of Hilton Honors points and I am sorry, but doesn't come with a complimentary upgrade. I understand though that your wife is of Diamond status. This does come with a complimentary upgrade. I believe that the issue was resolved when she presented her Diamond card. I have sent the rest of your comments over to the proper department head. If you would care to discuss this matter further, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Very nice, great location. Nice having skywalk, subway to be connected to many businesses. Wanted to try the restaurant in lobby, however only spent one night of 5 night stay here due to rates changing as much additional $80 from one night to the next. Too bad. Parking is also additional. No discount for family of patients visiting Mayo Clinic.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank svsr12

Dear svsr12: Thank you for your posting. I am glad you had a good stay in Rochester. If you don’t mind, I would like to talk to you about the rate issue you had. Please contact me so I can find out what happened. We strive to make all of our guest stays perfect. Thank you again, and you can contact me at deb.knox@hilton.com.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stay here at least 2 times a year. Great value compared to the Marriott. Very nice rooms and great service. Quiet! Connected to the Mayo clinic so you do not have to go outside. Great restaurant in the hotel. There is also a wonderful beauty shop/spa attached. Parking is 15 dollars a day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Susan C
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear Susan C: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We welcome you back anytime your travels bring you back to Rochester, MN. Thank you again!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed one night at the hotel while on business at Mayo. As many have said before, the hotel is very central to everything downtown, including the clinics (2 blocks). The weather was nice enough to walk outside, but the skywalk and subway (tunnels) are connected to the hotel. The restaurant in the lobby was very good and there's a starbucks on the skywalk floor which was very convenient. Parking with in/out privileges was $12. The front desk staff were all very friendly. My room was on the Hilton Honors floor. Beds were comfortable. Free wireless. Good sized shower. The workout center was sufficient. Didn't use the pool, but some families seemed to be enjoying it. Overall, this is a reasonably affordable (although on the more expensive end of the spectrum compared to other places in the area) and very comfortable stay. It felt relaxed and quiet, which was exactly what I needed. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mzqb
DebKnox, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Rochester / Mayo Clinic Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Dear mzqb: Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. I am very glad to hear that we met your needs while in Rochester, MN. I hope we will be your choice again if you should need to return to the area. If there is anything else that we can do, please email me at deb.knox@hilton.com