“Kahler Grand NOT”

Ranked #37 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Decorah, Iowa
“Kahler Grand NOT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here three nights while family was at Mayo. Granted, I had the economy room, but this was the worst hotel experience I have had. Torn sheets, dust on the coffee maker, coffee maker did not work, no coffee provided when it was fixed, small outdated shower and stool about two foot wide, no toilet paper replacement, studs sticking out of bathroom wall, chipped and mildewed paint on bathroom floorboard. NOT coming back or recommending to anyone I know.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Scott M, Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you helping us to get better for our guests. As with everything else, we are throwing a great deal of resources into renovating our property. This will take time. I hope that you will check back with the progress in the not so far future. Again, thank you for helping bring these items to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Turkish first
Clam Lake, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We have stayed in other hotel/motels over the past 5 years and will always come back to this one. Although the price is a bit more than some, it is worth the extra $$ to have a clean, nicely decorated room with the roof top pool, spa, sauna and exercise room. The staff are friendly and professional. Can't beat the location as it is steps away from the clinic, shopping, restuarants, bars.

Room Tip: Rooms next to elevator are noisy. Hear the mechanics all night. Standard rooms are smaller than th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for helping us spread the word about our Grand Hotel. We serve "with all of our heart" in the heart of downtown.
Saint Ignace, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Having to deal with a terminal cancer is one thing; having such a great facility directly across the street makes my trips to Mayo less stessful.
I have been going to Mayo for 3-4 years and have only stayed at the Grand Kahler. Why because it fits my needs perfectly!!! The staff have always been over the top friendly, courtious, helpful and many other attributes.
The cost has never been an issue with us as for less stress and ease with my appointments I have always stayed at the Grand!! I know there is schuttle service to the Mayo Clinic for many other Motels; however, if you have several appointments it would mean constantly be on the schuttle or sleeping in a chair at the Clinic. This is what I have noticed with other patients.

Room Tip: I have stayed in several different areas and find they are all great!! The rooms built like a suite...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. We are glad the Kahler Grand Staff can take some of the stress out of a stressful time. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about your experiences.
Chaska, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have had many appointments at the Mayo clinic for a number of reasons. I needed to find a place to stay when a relative had a serious operation at St Mary's hospital. I called the Kahler because it was close and quite inexpensive. From the person at the phone making the appointment to the rest of the staff my experience was uniformly quick, friendly and gracious. I now only stay at the Kahler when I am in the area. Each time I am there I am treated in the same courteous manner. The food is great also.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
I am glad we could be of service. Thank you for taking the time to review the Kahler Grand
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I used to live in Rochester, and was recently back in town for business. I chose to stay at The Kahler because of its ultra-convenient location. Downtown parking is a real hassle, but parking is easy in the attached Kahler ramp (free for Mayo patients), and the hotel is attached to the skyway (including a short walk to the most awesome Barnes & Noble in the restored Chateau Theater and a downtown mall with lots of cafes and shops), and more importantly, The Kahler is attached to the subway (underground walkway) to Mayo Clinic; not only that, the hotel is right across the street from Mayo--you are closer to Mayo at the hotel than in the Clinic parking ramp. I opted for one of the economy rooms (I'm cheap) and was surprised at the low cost in such a premium location (if your tastes are snazzier, they have a wide range of room prices available). Although the decor was a bit dated, the room was scrupulously clean (I am picky), and the bed super comfortable, and all the usual hotel amenities were there (microwave, frig, coffeemaker, iron/board, hair dryer). Desk staff was extremely pleasant, professional, and helpful. Starbucks in the lobby is a plus! The Kahler is still a Rochester classic.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
What a great testimonial of what we have to offer. Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone the many great convenient things about the Kahler Grand.
Somewhere in Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

When you are visiting the Mayo Clinic, the convenience of the Kahler Hotel is certainly worth your stay. Parking is included, and making early medical appointments is a breeze. The hotel rooms are certainly adequate and clean. Staff is informative and assists whenever they can. We have been back three times for various medical appointments and will certainly stay again. Restaurants, shopping area and medical supplies are easily found. The underground walk ways are easy to find and connect you to your various medical buildings. The location of the Kahler Hotel helps put your mind at ease when you are taking care of health concerns. Try it!

Room Tip: Request the newer part of the hotel versus the older part.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Mary Kay C, Guest Relations Manager at Kahler Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to post your stay at the Kahler Grand Hotel. We appreciate all comments and were glad to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. Thank you for your loyalty with our hotel and we look forward to serving you in the future with all our heart.
Best Regards!
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

The hotel has a very hospital like feel to it and there are wheelchairs outside most room doors. It's a great location for family wanting to be nearby sick loved ones at the hospital. It doesn't appear to have been updated since the fifties and is certainly not a place one would come for a romantic stay. I wouldn't even bring children as the atmosphere is very somber. Guests seemed to speak to each other in whispers. It's the sort of property that only your 70 year old grandmother would appreciate. I think the only practical use for this spot is to have hospital access. It seemed clean but warn and out of date. Our bathroom even had a slot near the mirror where men would dispose of their double edge razor blades. My Dad, who was born in 1917 used to use them. The one thing that I found very offputting and more than likely unhealthy was the walkway from the fith floor of the parking lot to the hotel. The path was lined with carpeting, exposed to the elements and wreaked of mold.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any updated rooms and have no helpful tips.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business