“Wonderful surprise”

Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Rochester
Holmen, WI
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We recently stayed overnight at the TownePlace Suites in Rochester for my daughter's 8th birthday. It was a fabulous hotel. They had a very large swimming pool with dolphin slides for older kids and a "waterpark" play area with slide and waterfall for younger kids. The whirlpool was a larger size also. The breakfast was wonderful! The kids could make their own waffles, which was a big hit. They had very clean facilities and a nice quiet room with comfy beds. There was a nice park within walking distance which was the icing on the cake. Great stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We have stayed here 3 times now, and probably will choose it again (at least while my daughter is young). Because we have a 3-year-old, we especially love it for its swimming pool (like a mini water park). We also appreciate the full kitchen, the free hot breakfast, free parking, and the location. Right off exit of Rte. 52, and easy shopping in the vicinity, like Target, Staples, etc. We also like some of the restaurants nearby, like Broadway Pizza (a pleasant surprise), and Caribou coffee. It's not luxury, but it's perfectly comfortable. My only complaint would be the one small slow elevator. We don't mind taking the steps though, so it wasn't really a problem if we didn't want to wait.

The fellow managing the morning breakfast is especially friendly and nice. The front desk staff were not so friendly on this last visit (most of them are though.)

Room Tip: Discounts for AAA and govt. employees
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Rochester, MN
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights while our flooring was being sanded and stained.

I was overall quite pleased with the stay. Breakfast and pool area were excellent, and we enjoyed using the pool and water slides with our 3 yr old. I would advise getting to breakfast early, as the food does tend to get cold easily.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed here on a trip with family for several days to do the Oronoco Gold Rush Days. Found the 1 king bedroom suite perfect for our needs. Couch in the living area turns into a sofabed which was sufficient for one adult. Room has nice high ceilings to give a roomy, open feel. While we didn't really cook in the room, there was everything you'd need (fridge, sink, stove/oven, dishwasher). I liked the fact that the toilet and shower were in the bathroom and the sink and mirror were outside the bathroom so several people could be getting ready in the morning at the same time. One suggestion is the living room could function even better with another wall mirror somewhere. Overall, the room was clean but not sure you get full housekeeping service everyday? Did not have time to use the pool and workout facilities but it looked nice and well kept. King bed was very comfortable and the free breakfast was good. Right across the street from SuperTarget, Panera, a pizza place and some other shopping which was convenient. Overall, I'd stay here again especially if looking for something with a little more room to stretch and spread out if staying more than a day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Cary, NC
Reviewed 25 August 2010

It's an OK place. Everything worked, but everything just looks, well, cheap. The soap didn't really produce suds well. The towels are or poor quality. The room is big, but just seems like many wasted space. Things just seem, well, out of whack.

There is really nothing wrong with this place. The staff is friendly, the internet worked great, the breakfast is very good, but.... it just feels cheap. I would have expected better from Marriott. Having said that, though, the price was also pretty good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Great for family, clean, good breakfast, really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed August 2010
Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We have stayed at this hotel several times before when it was still Hawthorne Suites and then I believe Heritage Suites. The last time we stayed, the place was falling apart, dirty, and the staff was rude. I hesitated staying here again, but since we enjoy staying at Marriots, we thought we needed to give it a chance. We had accrued a free night and decided to use it here. I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice the outside of the building looked and how clean and updated the lobby, hallways, and elevator were. Sadly though, we were greeted by a very unfriendly front desk attendant. Of course, I can't blame her for being that way. Apparently a meeting room had been rent for a birthday party and the parents were allowing the children to run all over and as we entered the hotel, she was trying to get them off the computers, off the furniture, and back in the meeting room. Upon check-in, I gave the clerk our confirmation number and our Marriott Reward number. When we made our reservation through the reservation line, we had asked what the biggest room we could use our free night on was. We were told the hotel had two-bedroom suites (we already knew this as we had stayed in them before) that we could use it on, but we would have to book a one-bedroom suite and handle the upgrade at the hotel. We were told there would be no problem getting the upgrade, unless of course someone booked it before we got there. After giving the clerk our information, I asked her about the upgrade. She gave me a funny look and asked what I expected to be upgraded to, I was already getting the night for free. I explained to her my conversation with the reservation line and I asked her if a two-bedroom was still open and she said yes, but upgrades are only handled by a manager and a manager wasn't there. She was not very nice about it. She made us feel as if we were trying to cheat her out of something. I told her not to worry about it and we proceeded to our room. As we entered the room I noticed that there was no chair and no fireplace as shown in the pictures on-line, there was just a small couch. We had reserved a room for four people, but how two people were supposed to be able to sleep on a love seat sleeper, I have no idea. The room appeared to be clean and upgraded, it actually looked like a page from an IKEA catalog. After dinner we attempted to go to the pool area, but the birthday and another party in the breakfast room, had spilled over into it, so as the unsupervised children took over the pool, we decided to leave. We contacted the front desk to find out how late the pool was open and how late the party groups were allowed to stay. After finding out they were able to stay until the pool closed, we decided to just deal with it and go back to the pool. By the time we left (we didn’t stay long) the unsupervised children had dumped the contents of the hotel’s first aid kit all over the area and were filling the surgical gloves with water. The front desk clerk (not the same one from check-in) and the adults who occasionally checked on them, couldn’t care less. When I commented to clerk about the children “terrorizing” the pool area, he took offense at my use of the word “terrorizing”. We will not return to this hotel. It may have been upgraded and cleaned, but even after that, it is still the same hotel it was before. The sheets and furniture had stains on them, there was still mildew and dirt in the bathroom, you still had to track someone down to clean off a table so you could eat breakfast, and the staff still doesn’t really care. Nothing has changed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RoadTrip4
TPSROCH, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Rochester, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
Thank you for bringing the problems you experienced during your stay with us to our attention. Please accept my sincere apologies for how my staff handled the situations. No matter what other things the staff is handling, they should still give every guest great customer service. I also want to apologize about the fact that you were given incorrect information with regard to the ease of upgrading to a 2-bedroom suite. We normally do not give a free upgrade to those rooms, and any upgrade to those suites does require management approval. But my front desk clerk should have handled the situation politely, and should have called a member of the management team to see if an upgrade was possible. With regard to the room furnishings, on the Marriott.com website the living room area picture is labeled as a 2-bedroom suite. Unfortunately, if you looked on another website where the pictures are not labeled, I can understand your expectation that those furnishings would be in every room. We are considering changing the living room pictures to avoid that confusion with other guests in the future. With regard to the unsupervised children, we normally try to keep a handle on the bahavior of kids in the hotel, especially parties and larger groups. It definitely sounds like we could have been doing a much better job of that on the night of your stay. Thank you again for your comments. I have shared them with my staff and discussed how we should have handled the situations and how we can improve. And, again, please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay.
Lynn Williams, General Manager