“Ambiance lacking, but food and service are superb.”
Review of Prescotts

Prescotts
Reserve with OpenTable
Prescotts is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 303 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Rochester, Minnesota
“Ambiance lacking, but food and service are superb.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Recently dined here on a Friday night for the first time. This place is located in a strip mall and is housed in an old Bruegel Bakery shop. It still resembles the former and not too much has changed as far as atmosphere. The large wine bottle area is where bagels were once baked.
I could say the structure is not deserving of the wonderful meals that are prepared here. But first the wine. The wine list is fairly large, but for the really good wines, you have to buy the whole bottle (all are $30). If you want just a glass of wine, it may cost you nearly half of what the bottle costs and your choices are not as good. If you don't drink the whole bottle, I believe they will cork it for you to take home. We had a wonderful bottle from Argentina.
The food. I had the Peppercorn Sirloin, which was served with carmalized onions and yellow squash gnocci, along with a cup of superb, not-so-ordinary tomato soup. The steak was not very peppery, but was soooo tender and delicious. My partner had the crab stuffed chicken, which was very good, but of course the crab was from a can (fresh crab in Minnesota?). You also get several slices of homemade bread at your table, which was good while we waited for our entrees.
The service was spot on and very friendly. We also received three HUGE raspberry scones for free to take home with us (I don't think this is normal though). This place is spendy, but the food is awesome. One last thing: the dining room chairs are very comfortable.

• Visited June 2014

La Crosse, Wisconsin
“better than OK food, way over priced.”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Went there for Easter "Brunch". Well there were only breakfast items served so more of a breakfast than a brunch. But fine, many options on menu.

Everyone ordered. Service was friendly and prompt for a busy Easter rush. With that in mind food came in a fairly fast time as well. We ate and it very good and it was better than average but did not meet expectations of the prices charged. $27.00 for steak and eggs. $5.00 for an OJ. I'm at $32.00 and was still hungry when I finished. I do not mind paying extra but for $32 I should have been WOWED. I was not. Everyone else liked their food but same thing, the charges for this (omelets, sausage gravy, etc..) were good but not worth the price.

The decor in the place was nothing special either. Was nice and clean but a false ceiling type place in a strip mall. Tables close together, kinda loud, not much privacy but that doesn't bother me much.

Over all, I would say i may try it again sometime as I am not unsatisfied but will me more careful of my selection as just cause it's more expensive doesn't mean its better.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank JohnnyWadzinski
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Very Good”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The breads at this place are ridiculously good. Oh my goodness, we got to try 4 different ones in our basket and they were all great. We shared the special of a pork shank and beans and it was definitely comfort food. Very tender and delicious. The beet salad was great as well. The service is excellent.

• Visited April 2014
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Wow”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

What great food! I am a huge foodie an a good friend suggested this place as her favorite place in Rochester, so we decided to give it a whirl. We brought other well traveled foodie friends and they were equally impressed. My first impression wasn't great, because I think they are lacking in atmosphere and it is a little crowded, but everything else made up for it. All four of us had something different; 3 of 4 were specials; the salmon spread appetizer was fabulous. It was like a carpacio but with cooked salmon and just flavorful. The salad was fresh & attractive and simple, the Tomato basil soup was amazing. The entrees were all good; the Pork Chop with pecans, the Ribeye with blue cheese, the stuffed pork chop and the Snapper. All were delicious. The server was well educated and very good; suggested wine pairing to satisfy us all. The only disappointment was our Baked Alaska dessert, it was frozen so hard and had a little freezer burn, but she removed it from our bill and was very apologetic and gracious.

• Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Poor food / poor customer experience”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Went to Prescotts for a family dinner after travelling all the way from Australia. Had heard great things about the restaurant but had a generally negative experience. Waitress was non-attentive, had poor attention to detail and happy to take away side-salads before they were finished. Food was too rich and poorly presented.

Over the next 24-36 hours, 5 of the party fell seriously ill (three of the party worked for the medical institute in Rochester)... Called the restaurant the next day and they told us they would inform the local health authorities... when we called for an update they didn't have one... we followed up with the authorities ourselves and they claimed they hadn't been informed by Prescotts. We spent over an hour on the phone with them to run through detail what we had all eaten...

• Visited December 2013