“Rooms need updating”

Residence Inn Minneapolis St. Paul/Roseville
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Roseville
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights the weekend before Christmas. There was a lot of noise in the room next door at 4:30 a.m. the first night, but it was quiet the other two. The hotel was not crowded. The location is in the middle of nowhere. It is in an office park and very close to interstate 35. I could hear noise from the interstate, and we were not in a room that backed up to it. We were only there to sleep, so I don't know anything about the amenities. The staff ignored us the whole time which was ok, except at check in. We got there around 10 pm and I had to call out for someone to come to the desk to check us in. The first person who stuck her head out was rude, but the person who finally came out was nice.

I thought the bed was very comfortable, but the bedding was not warm enough for the low temps of Dec. The heat can be adjusted, but I like a cool room with a warm bed for sleeping. There was no heat in the bathroom and it was really cold when getting out of the shower in the mornings. Also no bathroom fan to turn on to alleviate outside noise.

We will go back only because it is the only suite hotel close to where we have family that we visit. BTW...I did get emails requesting comment from the manager and she did respond to my comments. The staff overall could use some training in friendliness and courteous treatment of the guests however. Cleaning crew that we saw in the hall was friendly, but we had requested "no service," so I can't comment on their work. The rooms were extremely clean.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 November 2010

My family and I have stayed here several times because of its location close to my brother's house. There are no stores or restaurants within walking distance. It must be in a needed location for business, as there is a Fairfield Inn and Courtyard by Marriott adjacent to it.

Reception was excellent, friendly and prompt and the Front Desk staff were excellent throughout our two night visit.

Breakfast was excellent and complete with plenty of room, even at busy times. The evening snack was a bit anemic and not worth it (to me.)

The room was above average. The bed was too soft and the bedroom small. Counter space at the bathroom sink was a bit cramped (but typical of Residence Inns). The kitchen area was excellent with a good microwave and full size refrigerator/freezer with an ice maker. Our adult son slept in the sofa-bed, which he said was average - but what can you expect from a sofa bed.

The Courtyard by Marriott (next door) has a full restaurant and bar, and we will likely try them next time we visit, for that reason

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Mohsman
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I am so happy that we found this hotel. The service was fantastic, the staff very helpful too. Not only did they offer a FULL breakfast (leaving us stuffed every day) but mon-wed evenings they offered a manager's toast (basically a light dinner with salad). We have a two year old and a three year old. It is very difficult to travel with them overnight, let alone the better part of a week. We loved the hotel and will definitely be using it again next time we are in the cities. Oh, and the kitchenette in the room was so useful - a full size refrigerator and cook top - fully supplied. Honestly, it was too good to be true!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank annakevin57
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed at the Residence Inn during the Minnesota State Fair as they (among many hotels in the area) offered a package that included a shuttle to the fair. The room was spacious and the kitchen would have been nice to have on a longer stay (but was not important for us on this stay since we enjoyed so many Pronto Pups and mini donuts at the fair). The grounds were nice with a cute little courtyard in the middle. However, the lousy service we received would prevent me from ever booking there again. When we arrived for check in, the desk attendant worked on her computer for an awkward 3 or 4 minutes without looking up to even acknowledge us (meanwhile another fellow was working in the area behind her, seeming to want to avoid noticing the forming line, too). When she finally did look up, she looked right beyond me to the fellow standing behind me, who politely told her I was obviously there first. Now seeing a line 5 or 6 deep, she rushed through my arrangements. I requested a shuttle to the fair and set up departure for 45 minutes away. When we came back down about 35 minutes later, I asked her where to stand for the shuttle. She said outside. We waited out there about 15 minutes beyond the appointed 45 minute time and saw the shuttle zooming by twice. I went in to inquire if he was running behind or why he didn't stop for us. She told me to wait a little more. We waited another 15 minutes before my husband went in to make another attempt and suddenly she realized she had never booked the shuttle, nor could she as she never actually checked us in (I had wondered why she didn't swipe my credit card upon arrival). I understand mistakes can be made, but wonder why it took 4 communications with her to simply get a shuttle, and she didn't think that merited a simple "I'm sorry." However, once we got that squared away, we were shuttled to and from the fair by a great guy. He even gave us his cell phone number for our pick up, and was most pleasant to chat with. He was fanstatic! Unfortunately, he was the only redeeming one. We encountered more of the same indifference at breakfast, where we found a few apples, some dried up instant eggs, the most watery, horrible oatmeal substance I've ever tasted, and some dry cereal (the French toast, biscuits and gravy, and other good items were long gone, and the crowd of about 25 of us milling around were rather rudely told there would be no more). And just for the record, there was about 2 hours left of the appointed breakfast time, it's not like we were there in the last 15 minutes. I love trips and hotels, and have stayed in really high buck places as well as many $40 roadside rooms with no complaints. This one though was one was somewhat overpriced for the quality of the room, but it was really the staff ensured I will never book there again, especially provided the multitude of options in the Cities. P.S. I sent a review to the hotel summarizing this experience and here it is two full months later and I have heard nothing from them, so I suspect their indifference goes from the top down.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the customer site I was visiting. There isn't much around the hotel, nothing within walking distance anyway. St. Paul is very close so it's not a big deal to drive wherever you need to go and Minneapolis isn't that far either.
The hotel itself is a typical Residence Inn. Good breakfast, decent internet, nice rooms, comfortable bed. I was disappointed in the small TV's. Guess I'm spoiled....
The gym was a little small, but had a great set of dumbbells up to 50 lb. along with a bench.
My only complaint was the noise from the shower in the room above me. The noise from the plumbing actually woke me up when someone decided to take a long shower at 10:00pm. I can usually hear a little noise from plumbing, but this was ridiculous. I had a 2 bedroom suite and almost moved to the other bedroom. I would have if I stayed more than one night, or would have asked for another room. I told the front desk but I don't think there's anything they can do other than give you another room.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I stayed here for a month with some work colleagues and cannot fault the place. The staff are wonderfully friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The apartments/suites are a nice size and are well equipped. The location however, is a big minus for me. You simply need a car.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I was here for school for two weeks and while it is a pricier hotel, the service was great!

PROS:
+ free grocery service (before 8AM)
+ free shuttle service (within 5 miles)
+ free dinners (Mon-Wed)
+ great breakfasts (more than just your continental)
+ spacious rooms
+ one Ethernet port but provides free wireless routers if needed
+ great staff
+ near Enterprise rental (they pick you up!)

CONS
- older TVs. Preferred LCDs that can plug computer in
- only one Ethernet if you more than one laptop don't have wireless
- shuttle is shared between two hotels

Otherwise, I would highly recommend for long stays.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends