“Best Burger on my whole trip”
Review of Del's cafe

Del's cafe
Cuisines: American
NYC
“Best Burger on my whole trip”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I did a Chicago Illinois -> Rapid City South Dakota road trip and stopped at many places to eat along the way, and on the trip. Del's Cafe was the best.

We were looking for some lunch/dinner late Sunday afternoon and this looked like the only place open on the exit we got off for gas. We went in, and had a lovely conversation with the waitress who wanted to know if we had a reservation for the table we choose, (we were one of 3 groups of people in there). She let us sit there anyway after a laugh.

Took our order, and was enjoyable to the rest of the customers and us.

The hamburger must have been hand made from freshly ground beef it was that good. The fries were excellent, and everything was very affordable.

I plan on stopping here on my next trip through Minnesota regardless of how far away I am.

• Visited September 2013

Lewiston, Minnesota, United States
“Unexpected variety on the menu”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

With some small-town diners, it's the "same old same old", hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon cheese burger, patty melt. While they do have those on Del's menu, one of my fave items to order is the Mediterranean melt. Grilled chicken, mushrooms, cheese, sour dough bread - finished off with a scrumptious condiment of cucumber dill ranch!! There really is something for everyone there!

• Visited April 2013
Chatfield, Minnesota
“Modern Norman Rockwell Painting”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

If Norman Rockell was still around painting Americana, this would be an ideal scene in the sense that it's the typical small town diner where the food is mostly fried, the waitresses are local high school girls, and the clientele is a mix of retired farmers who come in for coffee every morning, locals who all know each other and catch up on the news while waiting for their food, and random campers from the nearby state park. The furnishings are comfortably lived-in and you get the feeling that you can just drop in as you are, even if you're not from around here.

Visited October 2011
Roanoke, Virginia
“WE MADE IT TO DEL'S”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stopped here on a recent road trip and was pleasantly surprised. It was late on a Sunday morning and Del's was packed with locals, so we decided to give it a try. It was like stepping back 50 years. the decor is dated but clean and well maintained, the folks are friendly, and the food is excellent. nothing too fancy, just good home style cooking. I had a hamburger that was made from fresh not frozen beef, the patty was large and cooked perfectly. I was in a hurry, but by the time I had finished my meal, I found myself wishing I could hang around St Charles just so I could have dinner at Del's. If I ever find myself within a couple hundred miles of St. Charles, I'm heading to Del's

• Visited May 2012