“great location, attentive service, exciting French menu”

Salut Bar Americain
Reserve with OpenTable
Salut Bar Americain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 934 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Milton Avenue
Transit: Easy access via the main bus line off of Grand Avenue.
Description: Salut Bar Americain is a neighborhood brasserie that offers classic bistro favorites like French Onion Soup, Salade Nicoise, and Steak Frites, as well as fresh seafood, burgers, sandwiches, and an array of daily specials. Whether you feel like Champagne and oysters or a burgers and fries, Salut can complement your selection from our full bar and well-selected wine list. Salut's private dining spaces are cozy, intimate and welcoming. Perfect spaces for private events that require a unique setting. When privacy is called for and you're hosting a business affair or a groom's dinner Salut offers unique dining options featuring chef prepared menus.
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Went there with family. Though parking was tight, I did find a space in their lot. Lucky me! I love the location but because it is winter, the patio was not an option. The indoor ambiance was very comforting and inviting.

The wait staff is friendly and attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. The mussels were great, dipped in wine sauce and butter, and bits of bacon. The crostini was okay and was served in unique dishes. I love my Scallops Quatre; the scallops were very tasty. I never thought I would love butternut squash, but it seemed perfect with the scallops and the wild rice and the blood orange. I will definitely order it again next time. The pastas, saffron shrimp linquini and the baked rigatoni looked yummy and fresh. My other companions seemed to enjoy their steaks and burgers. The red velvet cake was humongous and came with a dollop of raspberry and chocolate ice cream.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Interesting menu which makes use of available, local fresh foods. Excellent beef and fish entres. Although you can wear casual clothing, the restaurant is a bit pricy but well worth the money. I would recommend reservations as this is a popular spot on Grand Ave in St. Paul. Valet parking is available

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed dinner at the osyter bar in the restaurant that has a fun view of the kitchen. We tryed the oysters which was a first for both of us. Our waitress was helpful in ordering the oysters, east coast vs west coast. We both enjoyed our meals too, get the fries with the sandwiches or the because the salad is just a spring mix.

1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Salut has a great menu of tasty French delights. They're known for their steak, but I wasn't overly impressed by it. It was cooked correctly (medium rare), but tough. The Croque Madame is my favorite thing on the menu and is made with their signature baguette, bechamel, ham, and eggs over easy. Delish! Their mixed greens salad is always a tasty, healthy side, but the frites are good too.

1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I've got mixed feelings about Salut. Sometimes they get it right and the service and food is great. Sometimes they get it wrong and when they do it's very wrong. We were there for brunch a few weeks ago with friends and everyone's meals were fine except for one person who was served what was basically a raw piece of tuna (and they didn't order sushi). After sending it back to the kitchen the next piece came out just as raw. We've also had bad luck with lobster there - twice it was obviously old/spoiled. On the other side of the coin, the burgers are usually very good and service at the bar is always consistently good. If you stick to the basics here, you should be fine.