“Great first "Bed and Breakfast" experience”
Review of Covington Inn

Covington Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Saint Paul B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2011

My husband brought me here as a surprise for my birthday. It was the middle of November so the weather was not great but I can imagine how great this location would be during the summer. I would definitely recommend the Master Suites - it is a great location and the room is cozy and spacious. The top deck is cute with a few different sitting areas.

The rooms are kept up VERY nicely and the bathrooms are upgraded with nice tiling and heated flooring in the basement room. The food was great. We stayed 2 nights and she changed the breakfast up each morning. The owner has 2 cute dogs that follow her around, but you'd never know they were there other than during breakfast.

We live in the Minneapolis area and this was a great "staycation" for us. We may recommend this to our family members that travel into the town during the summer.

Room Tip: Any room you stay in is cute, but if you like natural sunlight I would go with the Master Suite.
1  Thank Kim F

Reviewed 22 November 2011

We found this outstanding place online on our trip from Lake Michigan up to Lake Superior. We believe it is the nicest place to stay over night in the Twin Cities. We choosed the the Masters Room which was very clean with a very comfortable queen size bed an a (gas-) fireplace! You have access to the deck an a great view at St. Paul. This is real living on a boat! We stayed for 2 nights, so we could enjoy the tremendous breakfast twice.
The Owner/Manager/Housekeeper Liz was very helpful, pretty nice and as a St. Paul's native she gave us many hints.
If you are looking for something exciting and extraordinary this is the right place.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, have a look and choose after that
Reviewed 22 November 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Covington. What a great getaway! If you are looking for a simple, relaxing, cozy place this is perfect :) If you are looking for something fancy..this is not the place for you. The rooms are not the most roomy, but this did not bother us. There were other guests the weekend we stayed..but could not tell..it's a very quiet location! I loved the view from the boat (the water and the Saint Paul skyline). The breakfast was amazing. I will be back in the future!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pilot...it had two levels..the first level was the bed and bathroom, the second was...
2  Thank Happy G
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The Covington Inn is a converted tugboat that floats (securely moored) across the Mississippi River from downtown Saint Paul. It has four cosy rooms on three decks and a small lobby/breakfast area.

We stayed in the Wheelhouse room on the upper deck. R eached via a metal spiral staircase from the lobby, this room has a small 3/4 bath and a small bedroom with queen sized bed. The real plus is that converted wheelhouse (up another deck from the bedroom) which provides a very comfrotable sitting room, complete with some of the original control levers and a terrific view. You can also access the upper deck lounge area outside when weather permits.

The breakfast was very good and not too huge for comfort.

The only disappointment I had was that the noise (it was very windy) disturbed my sleep - but I often have trouble sleeping in new surroundings the first night.

It is a unique and enjoyable place to stay with wonderful views and easy access to the downtown area (a short walk over the Wabasha bridge).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jandar
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I have stayed at the Covington Inn multiple times and it keeps me wanting more! I have stayed in each one of the rooms and love the uniqueness of them all! The rooms are always very clean and have super comfortable sleep number beds.

The owner is very very helpful, friendly, and kind. She lives there on the boat and does the cooking for the fabulous breakfast, which I can never finish because there is so much food, but I try. One night when we were there she had a friend over and they were sitting out on the deck. She was very gracious and invited us down with her for some drinks and company.

If I had to give a recommendation of which room to stay in I would definitely choose the Pilot House Suite, there is 2 levels and your own private deck perfect for great sunsets and sunrises.

To the ones who have written reviews saying the walk is too far, the exercise is good for you....The walk is fun, seeing all of the other boats docked nearby. If you are handicapped you can drive you car closer walk your luggage in (im sure the innkeeper would be more than willing to help you haul your luggage if you need) and then park.

I CAN NOT wait to go back again and stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2011

it was great being right on the missippi. we were able to watch working tug boats go by pushing tons of cargo. we were able to see the downtown lights of the city; without the noise. the proximity was accessible to walk into the city or not. there are many areas on the tug boat to enjoy the outdoors. the venue was clean, the owner fun and helpful. will return without hesitation. thank you liz for a great stay

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank idgie
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for Valentine's day, and we stayed in the Masters Quarters. The suite is very cute and homey. The suite was clean and well taken care of. The sleep number bed was fabulous! I am not gong to lie it was a little creepy at first. It is extremely quiet and we did not see any of the other folks on the boat until breakfast the next day. Which for some, is pobably a great deal! We were just a little creeped out by the complete silence.

We were disappointed with breakfast. I guess we were hoping for an assortment of food being that we paid $160 for one night. We were given french toast that was full of fruit and fun pink whip cream for Valentine's day. It was yummy, but far too sweet as it was already drenched in syrup so we did not eat much of it. We were really hoping for eggs, toast, and some meat!

Besides being disappointed in breakfast we really did enjoy our night on the boat. It is perfect for a quiet getaway. I can imgaine the fun people have in the summer when able to hang out on the deck!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple