“Ok Place to Stay, nothing to write home about....”

Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
albia
“Ok Place to Stay, nothing to write home about....”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Booked this hotel stay through Hotwire. Love Hotwire, don't always love where I end up booked. Checked into hotel and the dude who checked us in was anything but pleasant. Ok, everyone has a bad day every now and then, I guess it was his turn to have one of those moments or days, whatever. Got room key, went to room. Was happy when I walked in and seen how clean it was. Then I went into the bathroom. The bathroom wasn't necessarily not clean, but, there was shampoo that had been opened up and used along with a used soap bar on the soap holder in the shower/tub area. Ummm, I guess that was why I give this hotel an average rating at best. Am sure cleaning crew accidently missed the soap and shampoo I guess, just wish they would have done it in someone else's room. Fitness room was ok, needs updated to keep up with the Joneses in the hotel industry but was adequate. On site dining and bar, seemed like an inviting atmosphere, but chose to go downtown St. Paul instead. This hotel is literally a $5 cab ride to all of the fun night spots in St. Paul which was also convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike M
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank You for staying with us Mike and I am sorry to hear that you ran into some inconvenience when you were here. Here at the Kelly Inn we strive to make sure that all of our guest are treated like we would want to be treated. Thank You for letting me know about these issues and I will make sure this doesn't happen again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Proctor, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The area driven through to get to the hotel was a little sketchy, but minds were put at ease once arrived. The hotel and rooms were very clean. Free parking, unlike other hotels downtown St Paul. Nice restaurant and bar. Shuttle service to Excel for a concert was a nice option.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pc350
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank You for staying with us and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn. Here at the Kelly Inn we try our best to make sure that you are always satisfied. Our shuttle is always available for MN Wild Games and Big Concerts at the Xcel so they next time you are in town come back and join us.
Winnipeg
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Very clean hotel. Large rooms with fridges. Shuttles to and from Xcel Centre, which was very convenient for our group as we went to a Jets vs Wild game. Hats off the the very patient driver that was put up with all of us loud fans. Thank you! Hotel staff was very friendly. However, the first night we had a very grumpy bar tender that I don't think actually wanted to be there. Continously rolling his eyes at us when we asked for something, huffing and puffing when we asked for another drink or to order food. Was equally annoyed when we wanted a drink while he was eating at one of the booths. They really should have somebody to releive the bartender when he takes a break, otherwise, like us, we had to wait a good while before getting a drink. What does he expect for a Friday night? Very un-welcoming. Ended up leaving the bar. Next night, we had the owner of the bar/restaurant. Very pleasent man and had no problems with him. Will stay here again, but hopefully the grumpy bar tender won't be.

The buffet breakfast is fantastic! Bacon, eggs, sausages, pankakes! All for just over 8 dollars!
Cheers!
Michelle

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichelleAuger
KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank You Michelle and I'm glad that the bartender didn't ruin your stay with us. By you letting me know what you like and dislike about the hotel we can make changes so that the next time you stay here with us you don't encounter the same issue. Other than that we do offer the free shuttle back and forth to all Wild and Xcel Center Concerts so come join us again.
Selkirk, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Very Clean hotel, with friendly staff that are very helpful. If you are checking out a game of event at the Xcel Centre, this hotel offers a shuttle service to and from. Plus it is also a 10 min walk from this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Michael W
Thank You Michael for staying here. I'm glad that you had a wonderful time here at the Kelly Inn. I hope that you can join us again when you are in town. make sure to ask about our special packages.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel was easy to find, had a pool, free parking, and a bar/restaurant, and shuttle service to our DT concert. The only complaint: be careful if you are a tall guy... I am 6'4 and hit my head several times on the ceiling light right inside the door of our room. The bathroom ceilings were lower too - hard to stand up straight in the shower!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevinc361
Thank You for staying with us here at the Best Western Kelly Inn in St Paul. I'm glad that you enjoyed you stay here, I hope that you will join us again the next time that you are in town. Make sure to ask the front desk about the ceiling light because we do have rooms that would accomadate a taller guest. Again Thank You for staying here.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is nothing flashy but certainly served it's purpose on my recent visit to St. Paul. It's convenient to many landmarks downtown such as the Xcel Energy Center. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The price was right!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KellyInnManagement, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank You for staying with us and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Kelly Inn. Monday thru Friday we have a complementary shuttle that runs to downtown St Paul so make sure you ask the front desk about it if you are ever back in town. Thank You!
Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I booked online for 4 adults as we were visiting my daughters. We got a room with one bed. I asked to switch. They said they were full. The room did have a pull out and they brought us a roll away. Not a good start. I woke up early and went down to the lobby. There was a man with torn bloody jeans waiting for a ride. A few "interesting" people wandered into the lobby bumming cigarettes. The security guard was knocking on a door on my floor that had a lamp sticking out of the open window. I did not feel safe. The exercise room was marginal with worn out equipment. The carpet and décor are dated. The room and bathroom were very small. The front desk folks acted as if you were bothering them whenever you asked a question. I won't go back. This place could be great. Great location with reasonable prices. It needs to improve.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank You for staying here at the Best Western Plus Kelly Inn and I do apologize for the inconvenience that occurred while you were staying here. I'm not sure how the reservation was made but make sure that when making reservations you ask for 2 beds instead of 1. Usually when making reservation thru Priceline,hotwire or travel web it doesn't specific the room type so make sure to call the hotel directly to see what you have. Again I apologize for the inconvenience.