“I want to love this...”

Minnesota Children's Museum
Ranked #12 of 127 things to do in Saint Paul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Bigger, Better, Bolder Museum is Open! This is our first major renovation since we opened our downtown St. Paul museum in 1995. Children and adults alike delight in our 10 new exhibits and enjoy a variety of new amenities. A glass addition along West Seventh Street houses The Scramble, a four-story climbing adventure. Elsewhere in the new museum, visitors delight in an updated pretend town, get creative in two maker workshops and engineer their own fun in an air-and-water exhibit. Families also enjoy a bigger toddler gallery and step out into a revamped rooftop and backyard. Kids craft their own adventures in a ninja-training course and a carpet skate park. This is play like it’s meant to be. Natural. Joyous. Genuine. Children will explore, experiment, try new things, test their limits, adapt and grow. Each exhibit helps children develop the life skills they need to succeed throughout life — how to think creatively, make plans, analyze problems, tackle challenges, speak and listen, work as part of a team and more.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I want to love the Children's Museum. We have been members in the past. Unfortunately, I never really did. I don't know what didn't work about it for me. Overall, my children were bored with the museum after the first time through. That being said, the staff is wonderful and the facility is nice. I still give it 4 stars because I think it is wonderful that there is something catering to children and I know a lot of families who love it.

Liz D, Social Media Coordinator at Minnesota Children's Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Museum!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We took 4 kids, ages 3-11, to the Minnesota Children's Museum and loved it. There was something for all of the kids to do there, although I will say that the 11-year old is at the top of the age range for this museum. In any case, they had great fun crawling around in the ant tunnels, playing restaurant and dress-up in the "everyday life section", and creating their own thunderstorm in the cabin area. They blew bubbles, learned about shadows and light, and played in the rooftop sandbox. But the BEST part was the manufacturing area. No kidding, they kids LOVED running their own production line, moving boxes up and down a kid-powered conveyor belt and learning to work together with other kids. We'd go back in a minute! We have been to Children's Museums in Chicago, Indy, and Madison, and the only one they liked more was Indy (and those are big shoes to fill!)

Liz D, Social Media Coordinator at Minnesota Children's Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Museum!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This "museum" is too expensive and dirty to enjoy. Our own toys are more educational and enjoyable. The kids all seemed to share without being coached which was nice to see.

Thank you for your review of the Museum!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I took our 2-year-old daughter here when we were in town visiting family, and we thought it was really great. She especially loved the city bus and the Thomas Train exhibit, and we could not pry her away from the water tables. I was a little surprised to see it mobbed with people on a Tuesday, but that goes to show you how popular the place is. My only (small) gripe would be with the other parents, who often seemed to think they were above the rules, letting their kids run amuck or letting their older children play roughly in the toddler/baby area. Better enforcement of the rules/better supervision would have made our daughter's experience safer and more pleasant, but she loved it nonetheless. We will definitely be back the next time we are in town.

Thank you for taking the time to review the Museum!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We head to the museum a lot and don't get bored. There is interactive hands-on play and exhibits and play areas of all kinds, and all germ-free. I have three daughters (eleven, nine, and newly three) and it is fun for all ages! Best museum ever!

Liz D, Social Media Coordinator at Minnesota Children's Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thanks for reviewing the Museum!