“Nice Hotel, but what if there's an Emergency....”
Review of Hotel 340

Hotel 340
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Saint Paul
“Nice Hotel, but what if there's an Emergency....”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am very late in posting this review, as my stay was in 10/13, but I think it is an important issue.
Early morning my first day there I awoke to an alarm and loud speaker saying that a fire alarm had been set off and the hotel needed to be evacuated immediately - do not use the elevators. Due to arthritis,I have difficulty with stairs so I was dismayed to remember that I was on the 10th Floor.

It took me a long time to go down the stairs. A couple of guests stopped and offered to help, but I told them to get out and ask the firemen to come help me. When I finally got to the bottom, I asked the firemen where the hotel staff and other guests were. They said they did not know. They refused to tell me anything and sent me down the street. I was in a strange city with no where to go, without a phone, and half dressed.

I called the hotel and asked where they were and what I should do. They said they would call me when I could get back in the hotel. They did not offer to help me with anything. I finally learned that I could go back by watching the news. When I got back to the hotel the lady at the desk was very nice and apologized for the inconvenience. I asked to speak to the manager and was told she would contact me. I was at the hotel for 5 nights but no one contacted me. I was refunded one nights stay, which was good for my company who paid but did little for me personally.

I was upset because I thought the hotel staff should have made sure that their guests got out safely and offer to help with a place to go and transportation. As it turned out it was not a fire but a chemical spill. I worry about those who might not have been able to get down the stairs by themselves.

The hotel itself was very nice and comfortable. However, if you are handicapped or there is an emergency watch out....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank asbrls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hungarian first
Edgewater, Colorado
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was coming to town for work, but also wanted to come into town early to hang out with friends. I needed a reasonable place to stay, but know there are some dumps in St. Paul. This hotel has smaller rooms available for a lower rate, and its perfect for me. Very nice old world flavor, nice beds and good TV. I do wish the wifi worked in my room, also needed to wear earplugs because of the light rail trains going by outside with horns (they are getting double pane glass to deal with this, they seem to be scrambling because light rail tracks just opened). The good news is that the light rail is really close and you can get just about anywhere in Twin Cities now.
Also, the Hotel 340 lets you work out at St. Paul athletic club for a nominal fee, its a sweet deal, this is one of the nicest gyms you will ever visit. Big fan of hotel, great customer service too.

Room Tip: not facing the light rail tracks. close to a wireless router.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AJfromCO
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed in one of the small, "European" rooms the night before a race. It was perfect for my needs. The hotel is old and charming. The staff is super friendly and accommodating . Easy parking, etc.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The small rooms are really small....good for one person! Also, the room I had was above a train stat...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cheri U
Anoka, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I found this hotel relaxing and romantic with an exceptional staff. The location is great and within walking distance of many fabulous bars and restaurants. The room and furnishings were very charming, and the hotel was quiet, clean and beautiful. We highly recommend this hotel, and plan to revisit for our wedding anniversary next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This is such a beautiful hotel. I loved how unique looking it is. It has an antique look but also very modern.The room was very clean and the staff was super friendly. I didn't know there wasn't parking provided but the hotel but was able to find a parking ramp near by. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jwing1989
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My daughter and I were looking for a quick overnight get away and had to stay local because of her work schedule. So we took the long drive over from Minneapolis to St. Paul. We chose Hotel 340 because of it's reviews on Trip Advisor, so wanted to return the favor with a follow up review.

I am happy to report that we absolutely loved our stay! It's a classic beauty, with marble, tile and wood floors everywhere. You enter into a stunning lobby, although the ballroom on the third floor is probably the architectural highlight. Our room was old world charm, with all the right touches of luxury, in keeping with the feel of the building (loved the Keurig and decadent creamers). Everything was spotlessly clean, and the bed/bedding was both cozy and comfortable. It has that feeling of quality without pretension, which is what I value most in a hotel.

I can see why this hotel is so popular with weddings, the service was great, location excellent, and while it doesn't provide parking it does have an arrangement with the parking garage around the corner so you can come and go as you please.

I highly recommend this hotel, which I learned was designed by the same architect who designed NYC's Grand Central Station. As someone who used to log a lot of time at Grand Central, I can say I'm not surprised, and it shows in every detail.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mckmpls
Seaford, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel is co-located with the St Paul Athletic Club in a classic building in downtown St Paul. We initially reserved just the first 2 nights of our visit in this hotel with intent to spend our final night in Minneapolis. We decided to return for our final night in the Minneapolis/St Paul area to Hotel 340 because we really liked the atmosphere in this hotel. Our stay at the hotel was quiet, pleasant, and convenient. The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms are large and comfortable. A couple things to know before booking - use of St Paul Athletic Club is an extra charge, self parking only (parking garage is very close to hotel), no business center at the time we visited, complimentary continental breakfast has the basics (don't set your expectation to high).

Room Tip: Recommend corner room. All rooms are on upper floors. There is a train/rail stop behind the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple