“One of my favorites”

Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza
Ranked #69 of 923 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I literally drive 45 miles to eat here. I've probably eaten here about 10 times now. Without fail, the service has always been prompt and friendly. The food arrives more quickly than I expect. The place is always clean and inviting. Lastly, the food is awesome.
Each time we order a salad and pizza. I've had different farmers' market salads (vary with seasonal availability) and the chop salad. Fresh tasting and completely satisfying. We've ordered both our own custom-built pizza and from their listed suggestions. They have a mix of both traditional and more refined toppings (from pepperoni to fennel sausage). They make their own meatballs with a combination of pork and beef. The pizzas are thin and crisp out of the coal-fired oven. There is good amount of topping on the pizza as well. They have a nice selection of craft and local beers - several on tap. I like that you can order a 1/2 or full carafe of house wine. $13 for 1/2 carafe.
When I found this through reviews online it was compared to Punch Pizza. I know there are Punch devotees and I will never understand them. My experience there was a soggy, sparsely topped pizza. It falls way short of Black Sheep if you like a piece of pizza that doesn't wilt in your hand when you pick it up and like to taste the toppings on the pizza.
We've gone here with kids, and just adults. Hope you will give it a try and like it!

Reviewed 31 August 2013

After being in the car for hours, we were looking for a place to walk to from our downtown hotel. Although pizza isn't my first choice of food, we decided to try it anyway. It was quite good. They have some more unusual pizza selections which was a nice change! Food was good; maybe not served super fast, but that's fine because it was delicious and hot! Nice atmosphere. I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were looking for a place within walking distance of the Embassy Suites. We took a table outside- during rush hour. The traffic was distracting, but the food and service made up for it. We shared a market salad and a small pizza and had more than enough for two. A couple of nice glasses of wine rounded off the meal. We will go back.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Black Sheep was recommended to me by the front desk at The Doubletree By Hilton St. Paul as it is within walking distance just as I requested. We were a party of 17 all meeting to end our weekend of celebrations for my Son's wedding before he and his bride headed off for their honeymoon. The purpose was to thank all his family and special friends for coming out to Mn. to share in he and his brides special day.
We all enjoyed a variety of pizzas and salads. A coal fired pizza has a different delicious smoky taste. The fennel sausage and meatball/ricotta was our favorite. The tossed chop salad and honey ricotta dip with pita chips was a nice starter.
Thanks to Bruno the manager. He not only was friendly but very proud to share his passion for service and how the open coal oven works. We also enjoyed a few samples of local micro brewed beers before deciding on our favorites to order.
The Black Sheep also offers patio dining, but we enjoyed the indoor experience watching the pizza makers while enjoying the incredible open kitchen aromas.
Casual, friendly and delicious food!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Had a great pizza and salad here. The place was quite busy, but, the staff was very attentive and kept the food/drinks flowing. Our pizza was great. Salad was delicious. Good root beer.