“Porgy and Bess”

Ordway Center for the Performing Arts
Ranked #14 of 130 things to do in Saint Paul
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Always fun to go to the Ordway and have dinner at the Meritage. There are no bad seats at the theater that we have had over the years. Porgy was not quite what we expected and a little hard to follow. My fault, I should have read the theme before, but Ann is a Gershwin fan so she explained a bit. Vocals were really well done, but a times hard to understand. We are looking forward to Evita.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have had season tickets for 20 years. All performances have been top notch. It is worth the investment for an enjoyable time.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Randomly walked into the Ordway while looking at ice sculptures during the Winter Carnival. Happened to be the regional try-outs for the Met Opera. Was able to listen to them free of charge. Acoustics were very good. Looking up I was reminded of what a performance hall would look like in Europe. The staff was accommodating and helpful.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Friends and I saw Ladysmith Black Mambazo perform at the Ordway this past weekend. It was my first time at this theatre. We found the theatre's website extremely helpful with respect to parking and restaurants (we ate at Great Waters, which was loud and crowded...Meritage, Pazzaluna, and Kincaids are on our list for next time), and the theatre itself very classy with good acoustics. The staff was professional. The doorman was awesome, and must have been freezing. My only complaint is the nearly right-angle view (versus a curved hall) from the mezzanine left and mezzanine right seats. I would recommend seats that afford a straight-on view in this theatre.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We brought our 4 year daughter ( dressed as Dorothy) to the Ordway. We were very pleased with the overall experience. Seats were comfortable and you can't find a bad one in the whole building. They had many opportunities for pictures outside the theatre. Two months later and my daughter is still dressing up and singing everyday.