“Save some money...skip the dinner.....go for the Happy Hour!!”
Review of Forepaugh's

Forepaugh's
Reserve with OpenTable
Forepaugh's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 933 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Walnut
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My wife and I went there for our anniversary a few weeks ago and we had a very nice time. We got there a little early and were very pleasantly surprised at the Happy Hour. The food was excellent and the prices for glasses of wine quite resonable. In fact we were quite shocked when we moved upstairs at the prices that awaited us for our main dinner. I think we ended up spending 2x more for the dinner with no appetizers or wine than we did for the food and wine at happy hour.
Overall, the service was excellent, and the food was delicious. I'm not really a frugal guy and don't mind spending money for quality, but if we had to do it all over again, we would have had a couple more appetizers and glasses of wine down stairs and went home just as satisfied but with more money in our pockets.

1  Thank Michael Z

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Best meal & service in a long time. Bob Johnson and team are great! Lemon candy shrimp, squash soup, rib eye, Beef wellington superb! Love the ambiance - the main floor fireplace room is so lovely and cozy on a chilly night. Go treat yourself to a memorable experience.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Went here during restaurant week. The butternut squash soup was wonderful. The beef entree was not very good at all. Strange mix of flavours. Wouldn't rush back. Good service but not real busy on a Sunday night.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

As people have said this restaurant is housed in a restored Victorian mansion. It has a swank yet intimate feel. We went on a beautiful evening so we chose to eat outdoors so I can't speak too much about the decor. My boyfriend chose the restaurant because as a surprise as he was hoping to create a very romantic evening including dinner at an expensive restaurant and a Michele Bublee concert. As we had a hard deadlne to leave the restaurant the incredibly slow service caused a HUGE problem. We ordered a couple of drinks and an appetizer and then waited a very long time for the appetizer to come. Thankfully we had put our food order in prior to the appetizer coming or we wouldn't have been able to have dinner. For an appetizer we had ordered the satay. The taste of the appetizer was great but it was luke warm at best. After the appetizer there was another long wait for the food. I had ordered the salmon my boyfriend a medium well steak. When the food finally came the salmon was good. Wonderful flavors. Sadly, my boyfriends steak was rare to medium rare. The side of beans we ordered never came. My boyfriend ate the steak as is because we just didn't have time to send it back. But I felt terrible for him the steak was in the $40 range. What a shame to spend that much money for food and not get it cooked as you expect. I have to say I would expect a chef at a restaurant like this to know how to tell if a steak is almost rare versus medium well done. We didn't complain as the restaurant had volunteered to comp our beverages due to the long wait. Not only that my boyfriend was embarrassed as he had brought me here expecting it be a fabulous experience. When we paid the bill we asked if the beans had been removed from the bill. The waitress acknowledged she forgot to write them down. The cincher was she said, "I know this wasn't the best experience or the experience you were hoping for, maybe next time." It kind of made me laugh. I had just taken a course on things not to say in customer service. This would definately be one of them. The reason I gave this review 3 stars versus 2 was because the flavor of all of the food we ate was great. All and all I doubt we will go back to Forepaughs because it is too pricey to have hit and miss experiences.

1  Thank savytraverlor43323
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We've been here a few times and love the desserts! The menu always seems to have something new we enjoy. Happy hour is very good especially with the most excellent outdoor seating. The house is really cool with a very interesting history. It is one of our favorite nice dinner locations in St. Paul.

Been to Forepaugh's? Share your experiences!