“Great service, energizing atmosphere”

Downtowner Woodfire Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtowner Woodfire Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 933 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Chestnut/ Walnut
Transit: Bus stop at the corner of our block.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Arrived without a reservation before a concert. The resteraunt looked full with a few tables reserved. The man at the door didn't fuss, just knew what was happening at all the tables. Asked us to wait 5 min while a few tables paid up and then ushered us in. Thank you! The atmosphere was buzzing, lots to see. we sat at a high booth across from the bar. For such a large room the tables were arranged so that you never felt you were crowded or listen ending to another conversation. Beautiful stone bar wall with water treatments. Our waiter Luke was prompt, attentive, knowledgable, and kept us on track as he knew we were going to a concert. Very professional waiter. I had the Greek pizza..Yum yum one of the best I have had. We all had something different and all enjoyed our meals. We could watch the open kitchen area and the cooks and waiters buzzing about. you could tell they had enough staff and were well managed to satisfy so many people before a concert. Will definitely return if we are in the area.

1  Thank 2450rosslyn

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The restaurant shines with their top notch service! Ben at the front desk is the friendliest and most accomodating host I have come across in a long time. The restaurant was absolutely packed, but Ben was calm and friendly and was able to get us seated within 5 minutes. Our server was also quite prompt and once he found out we were on a tight timeline he made sure we received the service we needed to get to our program on time.

We had the appetizer of Fried Shrimp, Calamari and Vegetables with a spicy aioli sauce on the side. The portion size is generous to share with others at the table, but it only included a few shrimp and there wasn't enough aioli. The tempura batter was very well done, though, with all the food piping hot when it was served. A very good starter to the meal.

We shared an entree of the Fire Roasted Leg of Lamb, which comes kabob style with rice and vegetables with a side salad. I really enjoyed the wood fired flavors and the sauce served with the meat was excellent. Both of us enjoyed the meal, although the garlic was so strong that both of us had "garlic breath" all night and into the next day.

If I could give this meal a 3.5 stars I would. However, it isn't quite a 4 star due to some of the slight missteps in the food. They are known somewhat for their martinis, although I wasn't wowed by the Cosmopolitan I ordered. The restaurant has a wonderful warm and cozy atmosphere and has a great woodfire smell. Overall I would recommend this as a stop before a show at the Xcel Center. It is a low key relaxing place to stop in for a drink or a meal.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

With the soft pita bread and homemade crackers - delicious! We order this every time for happy hour and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

After hearing about the Downtowner on WCCO radio, we were not disappointed with our breakfast on a dreary, rainy, cold, summer morning. We were seated next to the fireplace -- so we 'dried out'. Service was excellent and my eggs cooked just as I like them.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had the chicken cesar salad, and it was great! A coworker of mines had some shrimp dish and ended up ordering another, she said it was fantastic. It had a sauce that I dipped my Chicken breast in to try and it was really good.