“Far cry from the good old days”
Review of Keys Cafe

Keys Cafe
Ranked #42 of 933 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have been to this Key's location 4-5 times the last year and a half on my lunch break. I work up the street within walking distance so it is convenient but not worth the walk.

First off, the waitresses are always crabby, short, rude, and curt. They are mildly efficient but no smiles, no conversation, etc. The waitresses are slow even when the restaurant isn't busy. They make you wait forever and never come by during the meal to see if everything is OK or if you need a water refill, etc. Bottom line, bare bones customer service is what they give you - disappointing.

The food is just average and overpriced. The portions are large but the pricing on the menu is confusing and makes no sense. I remember Keys as having Great food at Reasonable prices. Now, they seem to have mediocre food at inflated prices. I had the patty melt and wedge fries. The patty melt was rather bland and too many (raw) onions.

There are better, more reasonably priced options within walking distance that you should go to instead of here.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

It is one of the best local gathering spots to meet friends for breakfast. The staff are friendly, the restaurant is clean, the food is great. I especially like the spinach omelet. You have a choice of many home made breads served with home made jam. Coffee is refilled often and the prices are reasonable.

1  Thank SueEddy5264
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Husband and I went out on a motorcycle ride looking for a little cafe or someplace different to have breakfast. After riding all over the Twin Cities and not finding anything interesting we came upon Keys Cafe off of University & Raymond.

The food was excellent he order these HUGE pancakes, Italian sausage, and eggs (needless to say he couldn't finish it..lol)

I ordered the create your own omlette with spinach, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and Italian sausage (it was so big I couldn't finish it but I did bring it home and finished the job...lol)

The food was great, the staff was excellent, and the place was clean. The ladies bathroom is extremely small though. The booths are wood with no cushions, so the seating is not the best.

We will definitely return.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I am not sure about the healthfulness of the breakfast food. But this is a great place for a cozy breakfast with GIANT pancakes or the usual omelets and such.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited relatives who live close by and we went for breakfast there. Seating is tight but comfortable and it is truly a "hole in the wall" place. Service was fast and friendly, and was made to feel right at home. Breakfast was outstanding! Serving size was huge and the hash browns were outstanding. Keys is on my list to eat again when I visit!