“Large group get together with mixed results” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 876 Restaurants in Saint Paul
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Norfolk and Shepard Road
Transit: Metro Bus Service - Gannon Road stop.
“Large group get together with mixed results”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We had our friend's group of 20 people meet for dinner at Buca's in St. Paul,
Minnesota this past Saturday evening. The food was good, but the service was only fair. We had only one person taking care of our table and she seemed over whelmed. This was odd because this place specializes in serving larger groups

It was difficult in getting drinks refilled. The prices are a little high for small size salads and some entrées. For the price, it would be expected to have small pasta side included. One couple ordered small veal parm (serves 2-3 people ) for about $25 and the side Ziti pasta was ordered, which Buca charges another $19. The veal entrée was good but the pasta side was way over priced. The $19.00 for an apple lettuce salad ( for two) with seasoned walnuts was also overpriced. The lettuce was slightly wilted.

Two of the couple's Dinners were not served until the rest of the group had all but finished our meals. There dinner did not arrive for over 45 minutes after everyone else was served. It made our entire group uncomfortable. There was a meek apology only. They were not willing to comp a part of the cost or offer the people a certificate for a free return meal.

I hope you desire a very loud environment as well. We couple not communicate with others at our table.

Yes, we would return in the future. .. But not for a while.

Rice Lake, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

An excellent place for a lovely dinner before flying out in vacation the next day! Highly recommend the apple Gorgonzola salad and the lemon basil mojito! Delish!!!!!

• Visited June 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good food, terrible service, dismissive management.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I'll start this one by saying I'd been to Buca's before, just not this particular location. I won't be returning, at least not there and possibly not to another. The food was good, but the quality of service that we received threw a dark cloud over the entire occasion and pretty much ruined our dinner by the time we had left the establishment. We were a couple accompanied by a ten year old boy. They serve "family style" so we ordered one large entrée. Again, the food was good. It was the server who was the problem. We ordered a small appetizer. He put in for a large one. We called it to his attention and he said he would take it off the bill. I honestly don't know that he did since by the close of the meal and the struggle to get the check in the first place, I was so annoyed I forgot to verify that he had. The food arrived and the server nearly dropped it and ran, I had to stop him and point out that not only were we out of bread, but that the boy needed a refill on his drink. He hustled off, and came back with the bread....and half a glass of beverage....(?) We never saw him again during our meal, not as my better half ran out of her beverage, not as I ran out of mine, nothing. We had finished eating and were sitting there getting more and more impatient. Finally I flagged a bus boy down and asked him to hunt up our waiter since though I was going to order another beer I had had it with the waiting and simply wanted my check and to go boxes. I saw him go looking for the server, then catching him at the kitchen door. The waiter brought the three boxes I had requested but then attempted to take our dishes for some reason. I told him I would do it myself, "just get me the check, please". He came back a few minutes later with the check. I gave him a credit card. At this point this customer is obviously perturbed. Maybe a good idea to go ahead and not keep him waiting any longer, but quickly cash him out, right? Wrong. He proceeded to go to the terminal in the far corner of the room where they place orders and do something for another customer, then go over to ANOTHER table with a large party and take their order. All the time he had my credit card in the holder with my check visible sticking out of his pocket. I was getting more and more angry and had decided I would without a doubt speak to the manager. When he finally reappeared about 5 minutes later with my card and the check I simply signed it, got up, and left. What happened NEXT is what made me decide I was done with this restaurant. I asked for the manager. I neglected to get her name, but she was a very small blonde woman, 5 ft. tall or less. She asked me right up front if it was "the one with the messy hair" (Brook). I confirmed that it was, and she nodded knowingly, saying that she was sorry we had received such poor service, but "please know this isn't 'Brook's place'. Our quality is much higher, that's why we're so busy. Thank you for taking the time to let me know your concerns". She wished me a good evening and turned away.... I almost felt she wanted to say: "buh bye now, buh bye". That was it. HER lack of concern as the manager was, in short, the icing on the cake. Obviously she knew of issues with this guy, and was totally dismissive of them. Worse, she made no attempt to try to "make it right" in any way. Instead, she bragged on the so called "quality of their establishment" and the busy trade that they were doing. We both felt that we had just received the bum's rush as we left the restaurant. Read some of my other reviews. I'm not a chronic complainer. I tell it like it is, good or bad. And, THIS restaurant is doing so well (in their opinion) they don't really have to be concerned about what their customers think.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Arlington, Tennessee
“A little pricey, but tons of food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is a great place for big groups, but not so much for a date night or girl's night out. A bit pricey, but service is great.

Visited January 2014
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Not sure why people rave about this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We went here in a Sunday night in early April. When I called to see if we needed a reservation, the gentleman said probably not tonight, but maybe make one anyway just in case. We arrived a minute or two before our reservation and were told they would call our name when they were ready for us, as our table wasn't ready. We went into the bar which wasn't busy, in fact only one other couple was sitting at the bar. We waited 11 (yes, we counted!) minutes for the bar tender to take the order for our beers. She had walked past us a couple times, seeming busy, and after about 5 minutes said she'd be right with us. 6 minutes later she appeared. Ridiculous! Our table was ready 20 minutes late, so I am not sure why they took our reservation to begin with. The server came with the menus after about 10 minutes- asking if we had been helped yet. The beer was warm, so I asked for a glass of ice, and another beer. When she brought them to me, the next beer was warm as well. Ish. The garlic bread was the only thing either of us liked. It was actually excellent with big chunks of garlic on it. We ordered the Caprese salad, which is probably my favorite salad in the world, I eat it quite frequently, and was looking forward to it. The tomatoes were so over salted that it was nearly inedible. I also found that the 'product of Mexico' sticker was still on 2 of the slices of tomatoes- do they even wash their produce first? Next my husband ordered an Italian salad which was just so so. He ordered it with no olives, as the menu gave the description of there being some in the salad, and he cannot stand them. The waitress brought it to him with olives. When we sent it away, she appeared back with it quite quickly saying "There were just 5 olives on the top for garnish, so we picked them off." My husband was too stunned to say anything. That is poor service right there! The spaghetti and meatballs were not good. The half pound meatballs are impressive to look at, but bland and tasteless. They are served in a huge bowl full of spaghetti noodles, with maybe a 1/4- 1/2 cup sauce for the entire bowl. In fact, the sauce is more like a thin liquid with some chopped tomatoes that sits at the bottom of the bowl. The spaghetti I usually get at restaurants or serve at home has a rich red sauce covering the noodles. What we got here was a huge bowl of white noodles with 2 huge flavorless meatballs and nonexistent sauce. There are just too many excellent restaurants around to ever come back here.

bucalove, Guest Relations Manager at Buca di Beppo, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Please accept our apologies for your experience. We have forwarded the information to management and would love to have someone reach out to you. Could you email us your contact information to mamacares@bucainc.com? Please make sure to include the date and location of your complaint in your e-mail. We always appreciate opportunities to better serve our guests. Thank you.